Housemates Large Dog Growls At Me- Advise Needed !

bl0nd3y

Hes not a rescue dog, but i was curious to know how a "foster home" would take in a uncontrollable dog. Well its not the fact hes uncontrollable, he listens to my housemate (whos away for a month and returns for a few days...and unfortunatley its his house to so the chances of asking him to keep the dog elsewhere is slim.

i will be taking care of this dog while his owner works away.

It's your housemate's house, so presumably you agreed to this arrangement as part of you staying there?

To be honest, it sounds like you know very little about dogs and most of what you think you know sounds like dangerous pop psychology.

Talk to your housemate, find out about the dog and how it behaves, be properly introduced to it and then figure out if you want to stay in the house or not under this situation.

If the dog is at all aggressive towards your pup, I wouldn't stay. But he may not be at all.

And whatever you do, don't try silly and irresponsible dominance techniques on an unknown adult male dog.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this dog is causing you to feel fear, listen to that inner voice and get some professional help before you do anything else.

If I've learned nothing else about dogs, I know unless you feel 100% confident in your own mind that a dog is trustworthy, you walk away.

He may be a big softie who you are misjudging, or he could be an aggression problem that's more than you can handle and you will be hurt. Until someone else can come in and get a read on the situation, any blind attemps to forge a relationship will probably end badly.

Please, get a professional behaviourist to consult with you.

don't put yourself or dog in any danger, can you kennel housemates dog for him? Tell him the situation and he will have to pay for it? Housemate may have to find alternative accommodation.

It's the housemate's house, no reason he should find alternative accomodation. He might though prefer to find a housemate who is comfortable looking after his dog while he is away, and that may be the best outcome for all. Including his dog.

don't put yourself or dog in any danger, can you kennel housemates dog for him? Tell him the situation and he will have to pay for it? Housemate may have to find alternative accommodation.

It's the housemate's house, no reason he should find alternative accomodation. He might though prefer to find a housemate who is comfortable looking after his dog while he is away, and that may be the best outcome for all. Including his dog.

whoops, sorry, I thought they were all just sharing a house together. :) missed that post.

In that case, if possible, I'd live somewhere else, not put yourself or dog at risk.

Edited by Monah

You don't need to be "dominant" over the dog because when it comes down physical strength and ability to inflict damage, most dogs will easily win.

You need to get the dog to respect you, this doesn't have to be done with physical force or mind games such as staring out the dog.

Simple things like you being the one to feed the dog, making the dog work for attention, play, food etc, controlled leash walking, keeping a leash on the dog even in the house, can help the dog learn to rescpect you.

I think you need a professional to assess the situation to be able to determine if this dog is truly being aggressive towards you.

Just cause you're a shorty and speak softly doesn't mean you can't be a strong pack leader :mad

I agree with the others and get professional help and send the bill to your housemate, who was rude and inconsiderate to leave his dog like that for a month for you to look after!!

I agree with the others and get professional help and send the bill to your housemate, who was rude and inconsiderate to leave his dog like that for a month for you to look after!!

Rude and inconsiderate, or the very reason he has people living in HIS HOUSE while he's away at all? We don't know do we. This arrangement may be by prior agreement with the OP or her OH.

We also don't know that this dog is aggressive, he apparently has a reputation for 'not listening', he lay on another dog's bed in a strange place, and he is reported as having shown his teeth - which or may not have been a growl - to a stranger staring at him thorough a window in a place that is strange and maybe confusing to him.

I feel a bit sorry for this poor dog, he's been demonised with very little evidence. And he is now in the charge of someone who fears he will rip her face off and thinks there are magic 'silver bullet' techniques for 'dominating' a dog. Very sad.

Rude and inconsiderate, or the very reason he has people living in HIS HOUSE while he's away at all? We don't know do we. This arrangement may be by prior agreement with the OP or her OH.

We also don't know that this dog is aggressive, he apparently has a reputation for 'not listening', he lay on another dog's bed in a strange place, and he is reported as having shown his teeth - which or may not have been a growl - to a stranger staring at him thorough a window in a place that is strange and maybe confusing to him.

I feel a bit sorry for this poor dog, he's been demonised with very little evidence. And he is now in the charge of someone who fears he will rip her face off and thinks there are magic 'silver bullet' techniques for 'dominating' a dog. Very sad.

also sounds like he may have been from pillar to post, not much routine or stability? maybe not, but it does appear so :mad

Diva, you make a good point, but to be fair to the OP, he could well be the opposite to the above and actually be a very disobedient dominant aggressive dog who the OP has good reason to fear.

It is always hard to tell over an internet forum what the REAL situation is, which is why in the case of any POSSIBLE aggression, we always recommend a professional behaviourist to assess.

Personally I'd put myself and my dog first and move house.

If not, contact a behaviourist and get some proper advice (not internet advice) on how to establish leadership with this dog.

In the meantime: Keep the dogs seperate - Seperate bowls, feeding areas, beds, toys. If you can keep your housemates dog in a seperate yard if not, yours inside his out. I wouldn't be game on forcing a dog you don't know and doesn't respect you into a crate if he's not crate trained either.

Don't stare at him, growl at him or intimidate him in any way. It won't help, will probably make it all worse.

Ignore the dog. No fussing, no attention. Feed him and leave him alone.

Yes, he probably needs attention and excercise - but NOW is not the time to try it.

Diva, you make a good point, but to be fair to the OP, he could well be the opposite to the above and actually be a very disobedient dominant aggressive dog who the OP has good reason to fear.

It is always hard to tell over an internet forum what the REAL situation is, which is why in the case of any POSSIBLE aggression, we always recommend a professional behaviourist to assess.

'The above' is all the OP's given us as a basis for her fear, that and the fact that he is big. Perhpas when she has actually met him she might have a little more to go on?

I'm not saying he's safe or not. But I think we are buying into a degree of panic here, and assuming that this situation hasn't been agreed to previously so we can put sole blame on the owner. I don't know how it was set up, but neither does anyone else that I can see. And if he is dominant, aggressive and very disobedient I don't think the OP working with a behaviourist is going to solve it either. If he is that bad, she should take her pup and move out.

I certainly agree that it's a very unfortunate and probably unsustainable situation, but my reasons for thinking that are not first and foremost about the dog in this mix. He's been left in the lurch it sounds like, handed to strangers who aren't dog savvy and who fear him. Poor sod.

If I were the owner of the dog and reading this, I wouldn't get a behaviourist in, unless there's some real evidence it's needed. In that case, sure.

What I'd do is change my housemates and get someone in who I was confident the dog would be safe with. Maybe he thinks that's the OPs OH, who knows.

Of course there is no evidence the owner is responsible enough either way, sadly.

Edited by Diva

My advice to consult a behaviourist was not to rehabilitate or train the dog. It was to simply get an objective, experienced view on whether or not there was a reason to fear. If there is, she can think about making other living arrangements; if not, she might have some idea how to approach the dog.

No one should handle a strange dog if there is the thought in your head that the dog might aggress. This dog is under some stress, and should not be approached by someone acting hesitantly and non-confidently.

The above' is all the OP's given us as a basis for her fear, that and the fact that he is big. Perhpas when she has actually met him she might have a little more to go on?

I'm not saying he's safe or not. But I think we are buying into a degree of panic here, and assuming that this situation hasn't been agreed to previously so we can put sole blame on the owner. I don't know how it was set up, but neither does anyone else that I can see. And if he is dominant, aggressive and very disobedient I don't think the OP working with a behaviourist is going to solve it either. If he is that bad, she should take her pup and move out.

I certainly agree that it's a very unfortunate and probably unsustainable situation, but my reasons for thinking that are not first and foremost about the dog in this mix. He's been left in the lurch it sounds like, handed to strangers who aren't dog savvy and who fear him. Poor sod.

If I were the owner of the dog and reading this, I wouldn't get a behaviourist in, unless there's some real evidence it's needed. In that case, sure.

What I'd do is change my housemates and get someone in who I was confident the dog would be safe with. Maybe he thinks that's the OPs OH, who knows.

Of course there is no evidence the owner is responsible enough either way, sadly.

I agree with Diva. Surely the owner of this dog didn't just put it inside the gate and drive off. There must have been an introduction between the dog and it's new carers (the OP and her partner). As the house belongs to the owner of the dog, arrangements must have been made between him and the OP. Surely the owner would not be so negligent as to leave a dangerous dog with strangers without proper introduction, some instructions and information about the dog. Was the owner not living there with the dog for a few days before leaving for a month? He must have felt comfortable leaving his dog in your care.

I don't think the dog has done anything to indicate the need for a behaviourist. The problem as I see it is that that Blondy is not confident around the dog and hasn't much dog knowledge. She thinks because she is a small person the dog will target her. Not so! I'm shorter than Blondy and of slight build. I've owned Rottweilers and taken in rescue Rotts for many years and have never felt my small stature made me look like dinner or prey to the dogs. Neither have the dogs because they've not challenged me. I've made it my business to learn to read dogs body language because they surely can read mine.

It seems the OP also is not taking her 6 month old Rottweiler to obedience classes so doesn't really have an understanding of dog training. Taking a food bowl away from a dog achieves nothing apart from teaching it to resource guard. A dog needs to trust its owner/carer to treat it honestly and fairly and taking it's dinner away is not fair. I also think the dominance theory is a crock. Dogs need confident leadership rather than dominance from their owner. We need our dogs to cooperate willingly. I don't dominate my dogs but I have their respect and they obey my commands without hesitation.

The dog's owner must have felt confident enough to leave his dog with the OP. Surely he would know the dog would sense if the OP was fearful and afraid of it. What about your partner Blondy? Is he afraid of the dog? I think it would probably be best if you have a discussion with the owner of the house and dog and if no suitable arrangement can be made then you find another place to live.

BTW there is a Rotty owners sub forum in general discussion. We love to have new Rotty owners join us.

efs

Edited by cavNrott

I also agree with Diva.

Reading the OP, nothing screams out vicious, disobediant, whatever dog.

If anything, all I got from that post was "my newish puppy is really obediant because she is my dog but I am terrified of everyone elses new dogs because although I spend a lot of time with my own dog, I am actually quite inexperienced".

I am not a pro by any means, and in fact my dogs can and often are naughty disobediant buggers, but I would never lump a dog into the agro pile just coz of it's size and I saw a tooth.

LOLOL - ta for the giggle though.

I got from the initial post that the dog has a reputation for not respecting females, and has lifted his lip to this girl already. This could be completely innocent behaviour, or could be a dog that's going to nail her if she does anything it perceives as disrespectful. I'd rather err on the side of caution & have someone take a look at the dog in person than try to work it all out over the internet.

I got from the initial post that the dog has a reputation for not respecting females, and has lifted his lip to this girl already. This could be completely innocent behaviour, or could be a dog that's going to nail her if she does anything it perceives as disrespectful. I'd rather err on the side of caution & have someone take a look at the dog in person than try to work it all out over the internet.

The other complicating factor is that if someone goes into a situation with a dog expecting a problem and are nervous and lacking confidence as a result, you can be pretty sure a problem will usually happen.

I am not saying the reverse is true, thinking sunshine and lollipops won't stop aggression, but being panicky and feeling ill-equipped to manage is no recipe for success either.

OP, it's for that reason I'd take my dog and move out. Cesar Millan can do what he does because he's Cesar Millan. Most people are not anywhere near as fast, strong or dog savvy as he is, including you. The owner of the house and large dog will just have to deal with it. That's the thing about any unpaid dog minding arrangement, you get what you pay for. Even professionals can refuse to deal with a dog, but at least professionals have dog experience and are paid to cope. Sounds like this situation hasn't been well thought out on either side.

Most people are not anywhere near as fast, strong or dog savvy as he is, including you. The owner of the house and large dog will just have to deal with it. That's the thing about any unpaid dog minding arrangement, you get what you pay for. Even professionals can refuse to deal with a dog, but at least professionals have dog experience and are paid to cope. Sounds like this situation hasn't been well thought out on either side.

I doubt this dog is a man eating monster. I suspect it's more about lack of confidence and dog handling skills of the OP. These things we learn with training and experience. We don't need to be big strong people to show good leadership and have well trained, obedient dogs. Many dogs will sense a lack of confidence and behave accordingly.

I doubt this would be a free dog sitting arrangement. I would imagine the OP would have agreed to a low rental for minding the dog. I doubt she'd be foolish enough to pay full rent and look after the home owners dog for nothing.