Sending Pup To Nz

Partipaws

Hello all,

I realise there has been many a questions regarding importing, exporting and pet transport/shipping agents - but have always found the search tool never works for me.

So just a quick question...

I need to send a pup to NZ - I have already imported from NZ, so have a fair idea on the requirements and know it is far easier then exporting/importing from the USA etc.

I have been on the AQIS site to read through again the requirements.

The pup is for pet purposes only - There are hardly any breeders in NZ who breed the parti, hence why this lady has come to me - She is prepared to go to great lengths in order to get one for a pet, so had contacted me in OZ to buy and have one sent over.

I am in the process of trying to get quotes for the flights etc - Do I need to go through an agent, or could I just book a flight and carry out all necessary requirements myself, blood tests, export certificate, vet check etc???

Could I also ask of some reputable pet transport companies or shipping agents - As maybe it is best to go this way as I have never exported before.

Thank you in advance

Jess.

It is not overly hard but yes you have to go through an agent. To minimise costs you can do some of the vet visits yourself. They have to current C5 vac, need a blood test for BG and have to have a vet exam and tick treatment. Cost depends on where from and too but it is not cheap

Only an AQIS approved vets can do the Babesiosis blood test/skin scraping, flea treatment & worming (which has to be done within a certain time frame before the pup flies), it costs approx $300 just for the vet work, let alone travel costs to get to the AQIS approved vet nearest me, export certificate, holding onto the pup the extra time etc etc

JetPets are invaluable :laugh:

Maxine Young in Tauranga breeds Partis.

Also, Annette Ironside has brought some over.

To bring a dog here, you need to get a agent, they will tell you of all the health tests that need doing, pup will also need export papers etc.

Is this to the lady with the blue merle poms?

Maxine Young in Tauranga breeds Partis.

Also, Annette Ironside has brought some over.

To bring a dog here, you need to get a agent, they will tell you of all the health tests that need doing, pup will also need export papers etc.

Is this to the lady with the blue merle poms?

Yes I told the lady about Maxine Young - but she felt her parti's looked like Papillions - Annette's parti's do not arrive until the end of the year and even then she wont be expecting pups from them any time soon - I would have preferred it if she bought from either of those breeders as I knew it would be costly for her as well as a lot of organising at my end too - but as it was a black and white boy was born and I decided not to keep him and she was very persistent - so I gave in :thumbsup:

No not to that lady - didn't know she was dappling in the merles...??? not my cup of tea - besides they are trying to rid the colour in the US standards which is the only country I think that accepts the colour???? They don't accept the colour here or in NZ I believe?? You will be able to correct me if I am wrong - LOL

This lady just wants a pet, she lives in Auckland.

Not the person from Gisborne who wants to breed partis and blue merle poms? If so I would caution you to check the home

No, not her - I am aware of her and have spoken briefly with her - my feelings is she is breeding colours for her own gain not for improving and preserving the breed.

My puppy is booked in to be desexed prior to leaving - he is most certainly going as a pet to this lady in NZ - she is retired and wants desperately a black and white pom baby.

Agree. JETPETS :thumbsup:

I found that it was actually way cheaper to go through Jetpets than do it by yourself. :)

Dogtainers was also cheaper than DIY but a few hundred dollars more than Jetpets. :confused:

Not the person from Gisborne who wants to breed partis and blue merle poms? If so I would caution you to check the home
I used dogtainers to send puppy to NZ. Would (and have) used them again.

They just organised everything.

MIght be a bit dearer, but then we put our heart and souls into breeding these puppies, so we have to make sure they arrive safe and sound at their new home.

Thanks all,

I was quoted by another company $1,300 - I wasn't sure about it - to me I felt it was a little expensive? but then this is a first for me and that did include everything.

I have sourced out approved vets in my area as listed on the AQIS and are happy to do that myself and anything else if that will keep the pricing down for the lady - will jetpets or dogtainer be happy with that??

I paid around that to get Fiver over, so the price is ok... I got my lovely mentor to do most of my work though, so it worked out a lil cheaper.

Im glad its just a pet, tell the lady that Im here if she needs any advice, grooming etc! Id love if she could take him to a show in aucks, i can meet one of your babies!!!

You are right, merles are not accepted here nor in Aus, in american there are a lot of kennels that will state proudly they are 100% merle free.

Its not a pattern to be dabbling in for the uneducated.

I didnt know annettes would be so long away! i hope shes going to show them :thumbsup:

the reason why annette wont be able to do it herself if that she has to be phsyically there to sign the paperwork etc...

Maxines poms come from aus, they are purebred, and all regoed with the NZKC.

how is edward doing?

Agree. JETPETS :crazy:

I found that it was actually way cheaper to go through Jetpets than do it by yourself. :mad

Dogtainers was also cheaper than DIY but a few hundred dollars more than Jetpets. :rofl:

MIght be a bit dearer, but then we put our heart and souls into breeding these puppies, so we have to make sure they arrive safe and sound at their new home.

Thanks all,

I was quoted by another company $1,300 - I wasn't sure about it - to me I felt it was a little expensive? but then this is a first for me and that did include everything.

I have sourced out approved vets in my area as listed on the AQIS and are happy to do that myself and anything else if that will keep the pricing down for the lady - will jetpets or dogtainer be happy with that??

And be prepared to pay GST on the cost of the pup and the cost of shipping when you try to get it from customs. You can tell them it is a pet until you are blue in the face won't make much difference. Although it does seem to be a matter of who you are as to whether or not you get charged, or even how much, so make sure you have a receipt from Jet pets that doesn't include vet charges, cause customs just see the total amount and charge on that.

Agree. JETPETS :laugh:

I found that it was actually way cheaper to go through Jetpets than do it by yourself. :D

Dogtainers was also cheaper than DIY but a few hundred dollars more than Jetpets. ;)

Thanks all,

And be prepared to pay GST on the cost of the pup and the cost of shipping when you try to get it from customs. You can tell them it is a pet until you are blue in the face won't make much difference. Although it does seem to be a matter of who you are as to whether or not you get charged, or even how much, so make sure you have a receipt from Jet pets that doesn't include vet charges, cause customs just see the total amount and charge on that.

Hello Wyn,

Is that for NZ pick up - or Australia? I know we were to expect to pay the GST when we picked up Edward our NZ boy - but lucky enough they appeared to have forgotten LOL!

This pup is heading to NZ, cost of sending him etc will be up to the lady - I am just trying to make it easier on her pocket at the end of the day, so doing as much research into it - NZ have a higher GST don't they? 15% I think I heard?

I paid around that to get Fiver over, so the price is ok... I got my lovely mentor to do most of my work though, so it worked out a lil cheaper.

Im glad its just a pet, tell the lady that Im here if she needs any advice, grooming etc! Id love if she could take him to a show in aucks, i can meet one of your babies!!!

You are right, merles are not accepted here nor in Aus, in american there are a lot of kennels that will state proudly they are 100% merle free.

Its not a pattern to be dabbling in for the uneducated.

I didnt know annettes would be so long away! i hope shes going to show them :laugh:

the reason why annette wont be able to do it herself if that she has to be phsyically there to sign the paperwork etc...

Maxines poms come from aus, they are purebred, and all regoed with the NZKC.

how is edward doing?

I agree about will all said - merles are best left to the experienced - does she know not to breed a merle to merle?? or was it a double merle, to a double merle?? I can't remember - I know there are risks of getting defects like blindness, deaf puppies etc etc, something to do with producing a defective white (extreme merle) from breeding a double merle to another double merle..... its scary stuff.... but the other thing I don't quite like about the colour is that it is a recently introduced colour, so really there could be arguments on whether or not they are true purebreds.

Thank you so much for offering to be in hand with this lady - she is truly lovely and I am glad to see her dreams coming true now - she always did want a Bundy Son. Hopefully you will get to meet him one day.

Edward is doing well - he is dropping a bit of coat at the moment, but appears to be growing it as well ??? so I guess thats not too bad really - I have not been able to show him too much, but have booked in to a couple of shows this month which will be fun to get out again...

Agree. JETPETS :laugh:

I found that it was actually way cheaper to go through Jetpets than do it by yourself. :D

Dogtainers was also cheaper than DIY but a few hundred dollars more than Jetpets. ;)

Thanks all,

Hello Wyn,

Is that for NZ pick up - or Australia? I know we were to expect to pay the GST when we picked up Edward our NZ boy - but lucky enough they appeared to have forgotten LOL!

This pup is heading to NZ, cost of sending him etc will be up to the lady - I am just trying to make it easier on her pocket at the end of the day, so doing as much research into it - NZ have a higher GST don't they? 15% I think I heard?

They will have to pay GST on the pups entry to New Zealand. Australia is much easier, I have sent a number of dogs/pups over there and all anyone has paid is a $77 au inspection fee.

She will have to pay here, and if she gets a letter from you the breeder saying the puppy is desexed and will not be used for breeding, how much it cost etc, she will have to pay our EXORBITANT GST (govermental stupidist taxing) on the price of purchase... of course, you can sell him for 200 AUd, if his purchase price is 1,200.. the other 1 k is for his lodging LOL.

customs here dont need to know that.

How awful of me!

she will however be up for a 33 maf fee, and a 17 admin fee that she has to pay.. depending who she gets when she gets the paperwork done is up to them charging, when we went to get fiver, the people ahead of us had to pay GST, but another guy didnt bother with us, just said oh, here, gave bryan the paper and walked off.. so its a matter of luck!

Do give her my details, i can help out where i can :laugh:

if im heading up to aucks i can give her grooming tips, or she can come see us at a show!