Quiet Command? Barking At Front Door?

princesszelda

Our huge 13 month old Berner puppy has recently started barking at us when we are watching TV, or in bed reading. Pretty sure it is an attention-seeking thing. Should we just be putting her out of the room when she does this or trying to teach her the “quiet” command (saying quiet, giving a treat). I’m worried that she will just associate the barking with getting a treat rather than the quiet command….

Also, she has taken to barking and jumping up at the door when the doorbell rings. She just wants to see who is there and I don’t think she would hurt them, but it does scare some people. Any suggestions? Keeping a leash on her is impractical as she chews it (no matter what we put on it!) :hug: At the moment, we just chuck her in the office (right next to the front door)…

Any suggestions would be great!

I quite like a dog that will give a warning bark.

Does she respond to shhhhh?

Most dogs will stop and stare at you (probably trying to work out what the heck you're doing) and you can treat when they do this.

Otherwise, you can just give the command shhh or quiet anytime they are NOT barking. This way takes a bit longer, because you're essentially treating them for doing nothing :hug:

We got ours a special mat in the hall way to sit on when they hear the door bell ring. They give a bark then go running to the door, we give the "on your mat" command and then a sit and stay and so far its working! hopfully they will just go to the mat automatically once they get the hang of it but they are just puppies and so excited to see people! They can still see the door and who comes in its just under our control and we say "OK" when they can get off and great the guest! I got this idea from the great Cesar Milan :)

We got ours a special mat in the hall way to sit on when they hear the door bell ring. They give a bark then go running to the door, we give the "on your mat" command and then a sit and stay and so far its working! hopfully they will just go to the mat automatically once they get the hang of it but they are just puppies and so excited to see people! They can still see the door and who comes in its just under our control and we say "OK" when they can get off and great the guest! I got this idea from the great Cesar Milan :(

My sister does this with her 8 month old Westie. Lily would have to be the most well behaved puppy I have ever met. It is a very effective method. And she is a baby!

My parents' dog, who is 8 years, has always carried on like a pork chop, barking and throwing herself around, when someone comes to the door. They used to put her in another room, but that over time, has made the issue worse. The dog has OCD and her own barking stresses her... they used a barking collar for a while and she has changed. She runs to the side of the door, sits there and waits! It is amazing to watch after seeing how she used to be. They don't need to use the collar anymore.

I am not advocating the collar, I am more suggesting that moving the dog away from the door may create more issues, as it doesn't really teach them how to behave correctly in that situation, it just temporarily moves the problem. The dog wont associate being moved away with the barking, so will continue to do it.

Does your dog stay when told normally? If your dog has a good stay, work on the mat idea. You can practise ringing the door bell yourselves and reward for the desired behavior. I am sure puppy will have it in no time! Be patient though.

As for barking when you are reading or watching TV, have a water bottle near by. One or two quirts and puppy will only have to see you look at the bottle and she will be out of there!! :confused:

A warning bark would be fine, but this is a warning "I'm going to eat you if you come anywhere near my door!" knid of bark...

The easiest and most reliable way is just to manage it. Is your dog crate trained? Will she go in on command?

My dog will go off his nut if anyone comes to the door, but I don't see this as a bad thing.

If it's someone I'm going to let in (like a visitor) he gets his "in your crate" command. He goes in, I close the crate, he settles quietly, then I open the front door. Takes all of about 10 seconds and everyone is happy :o

If it's someone I'm NOT going to let in -like religious doomsday people wanting to lecture me on the evils of the earth- he does not go in the crate. I open the big wooden door and let him carry on though the (locked) screen door whilst they make a hasty retreat :laugh: ...I'm a baaaad owner sometimes :bolt:

I agree with secretkei.

You need to set in motion management plans for your DOG (not puppy anymore) :laugh:

have the dog on leash.. and then teach her to sit/stay away from the front door...then repeat with people knocking ... no shouting/ssshing or anything else which may seem encouraging to her- just a leash, and a calm ENFORCED command ... repeat, repeat ,repeat :bolt:

Just a though. If she chews through a leash then what about hanging one next to the front door. That way when she carries on you can simply grab the leash and clip it on.

The other option is a pull tab type leash (only a very short grab leash). On a big dog you can just leave it on and it's usually too short for them to get hold of and chew, but easy for you to grab hold of when you need to :laugh:

eta: Here http://www.k9pro.com.au/products.php?produ...d-3%7B47%7D8%22

Edited by SecretKei

Just a though. If she chews through a leash then what about hanging one next to the front door. That way when she carries on you can simply grab the leash and clip it on.

The other option is a pull tab type leash (only a very short grab leash). On a big dog you can just leave it on and it's usually too short for them to get hold of and chew, but easy for you to grab hold of when you need to :rofl:

That's very expensive. I made my own out of an old lead, cut it to size & put a knot in the end.

Oh- if she is a leash chewer- buy a short strong chain one! Don't leave it on .. a dangling leash is not the safest ...but, as said- make it a routine- go near door- leash clipped on- no fuss.. just praise and command and praise ...time after time.

What training has she done/are you doing with her? How is she with obedience etc generally?Does she bark at people if she is in the car and people approach, or is it only the house?

The other option is a pull tab type leash (only a very short grab leash). On a big dog you can just leave it on and it's usually too short for them to get hold of and chew, but easy for you to grab hold of when you need to :)

That's very expensive. I made my own out of an old lead, cut it to size & put a knot in the end.

Yes, they are a little pricey, but the leash in the link actually has rubber impregnated through the middle making it very easy to grab during training and also has a high quality brass clip, hence the higher price.

Anyhoo, I was just using it as an example to show what I mean :confused:

The idea of cutting down an old leash (possibly one thats already been chewed) is a great idea though :thumbsup:

*sp

Edited by SecretKei

A warning bark would be fine, but this is a warning "I'm going to eat you if you come anywhere near my door!" knid of bark...

The easiest and most reliable way is just to manage it. Is your dog crate trained? Will she go in on command?

My dog will go off his nut if anyone comes to the door, but I don't see this as a bad thing.

If it's someone I'm going to let in (like a visitor) he gets his "in your crate" command. He goes in, I close the crate, he settles quietly, then I open the front door. Takes all of about 10 seconds and everyone is happy :confused:

If it's someone I'm NOT going to let in -like religious doomsday people wanting to lecture me on the evils of the earth- he does not go in the crate. I open the big wooden door and let him carry on though the (locked) screen door whilst they make a hasty retreat :thumbsup: ...I'm a baaaad owner sometimes :)

this is what i do...all of the above. works perfectly for me too i must be baad too

I agree with secretkei.

You need to set in motion management plans for your DOG (not puppy anymore) :thumbsup:

have the dog on leash.. and then teach her to sit/stay away from the front door...then repeat with people knocking ... no shouting/ssshing or anything else which may seem encouraging to her- just a leash, and a calm ENFORCED command ... repeat, repeat ,repeat :)

i also bought a wireless door bell that i could use by having the doorbell pusher in my hand then rining it then opening the door.

that way i could do it all myself..worked a treat

Thanks for the replies everyone. Pup (yes, still very puppy-like as she is a giant breed and considered a puppy till about 18-24 months) ate something that didn't agree with her so we've been at the vets for the past few days. Will try some ideas as soon as she's feeling better

Edited by princesszelda

I hope your puppy feels better soon. We have a Bernese at our dog school and he is sooooooooooooo cute - and large!

Elbie used to bark like a maniac whenever the doorbell rang so one day I just stood at the door while my husband held Elbie and kept ringing the doorbell and gave him treats every time he didn't bark. Elbie's very food-motivated :laugh: Anyway, he doesn't bark at the door bell any more - much to our relief. He still gets very excited about guests so we usually crate him or put him outside until he settles. We're hoping he'll become calmer one day but we've been warned that kelpie crosses sometimes don't mature until 2 years ... :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

Also, she has taken to barking and jumping up at the door when the doorbell rings. She just wants to see who is there and I don’t think she would hurt them, but it does scare some people. Any suggestions? Keeping a leash on her is impractical as she chews it (no matter what we put on it!) :crazy: At the moment, we just chuck her in the office (right next to the front door)…

I teach mine to do a down stay on command, then when someone rings the bell, I tell her to down (a short distance away but close enough that she can still see what's going on). Proof it around other distractions first & it will transfer to the door much easier. If she doesn't down stay in other situations, she's not going to do it when people come to the door either.

We use the sit/stay on our three and Katy is just a 12month old giant breed. we have always made the doorways a very important part of our training. We are in charge at the door. they wait. Be it when someone arrives or when we want to go through the door. it gets back to basic obedience, sit/stay and you could use a mat. initially when we brought our rescue newf home we did a lot of door knocking and having friends visit. the dogs were rewarded for good behaviour and the door never opened when the barking continued, hence we used different friends initially. Annabelle our rescue was terrible when we got her at fourteen month. Bur basic obedience with positive reinforcement has made her very polite at the door. And yes they do bark initially and yes we allow it. but we say "off" and everyone is quiet and waiting for the door to open. having three large dogs rush at people would not be acceptable :laugh: