Teaching "line Out"

Hi, I do dryland dog sledding, and one of the things that the dogs can learn, is to "line out" this is where they walk forward in front of the handler until the gangline (the line between the dog and scooter) is straight. I am doing basic obediance to teach the turns etc, and one of the things that I have been doing some serious work on is stand stays. One of my dogs is not food orientated leading to my current problem. I am attempting to teach line out, by tossing a treat out in front of them, saying "line out" using a specific arm movement, and encouraging them to walk forward to the treat. however one of my dogs is refusing to walk forward, I let her sniff the treat, say "line out" and toss it approx 1 1/2 ft in front of her. (this is showing some results in my other dog) however she is refusing to break the stand, unless I step forward first. She was shown before I got her, so presumably was trained to stand???

Any suggestions welcomed!!!!

Hi, I do dryland dog sledding, and one of the things that the dogs can learn, is to "line out" this is where they walk forward in front of the handler until the gangline (the line between the dog and scooter) is straight. I am doing basic obediance to teach the turns etc, and one of the things that I have been doing some serious work on is stand stays. One of my dogs is not food orientated leading to my current problem. I am attempting to teach line out, by tossing a treat out in front of them, saying "line out" using a specific arm movement, and encouraging them to walk forward to the treat. however one of my dogs is refusing to walk forward, I let her sniff the treat, say "line out" and toss it approx 1 1/2 ft in front of her. (this is showing some results in my other dog) however she is refusing to break the stand, unless I step forward first. She was shown before I got her, so presumably was trained to stand???

I am no expert on this, however I would suggest you are expecting the dog to just know what you want. I would break it down by teaching her to target

at a certain distance. start right up close getting her to touch with her front paws a target say a mat or something, then gradualy increase the distance

until you have her targeting at the exact correct distance. If she does not work for food then I guess you use a toy or ball or something. Most dogs will

work for food it is a matter of what is most tasty and how they have been taught in the first place. Beagie