Canon 550d

Kaffy Magee

Ive been researching this camera and think I have settled on it although I am complete amateur and dont really know all the ins and outs of it or photography. What I want to know is do I go for the twin lense kit or just get the body and the 50 1.8 that everyone has raved about. I have no idea what is best way to start, so all advise is appreciated.

Edited by Kaffy Magee

Hmmmmm decisions decisions. What do you want to photograph. If it's for pics like the one in your siggy the 50mm would be great. It's good for action shots too but they cant be too far away.

What are the kit lenses they're offering.

Dont worry about being an amateur, you can start on Auto and when you get more confident the camera will be able to take you further.

I'd personally go for the twin lens kit. It gives you a lot of options for trying different things and getting a feel for what it is you want out of the camera. You may also prefer the 55mm-250mm for action shots when you're not really close to the dogs. The 50mm 1.8 is a great lens but I would have struggled to start with that lens and no others because you have no ability to zoom in and out and whilst you can take amazing shots with the low depth of field, the focus takes a bit of getting used to. I got the twin lens kit and don't regret it for a second. It really helped me work out what type of photography I love and what the best lenses will be for me when I can afford to upgrade and I don't think the 50mm 1.8 allows you the same freedom if you're new to photography, as much as I love the lens.

+ 1 :hug:

I just bought that same camera with the lens kit. Really happy with it.

I am only learning so started out with auto and am now beginning to start changing settings etc.

Have mainly used the 55-250 so far as most of my practice work has been of the dogs and cats.

Guest belgian.blue

I am only learning so started out with auto and am now beginning to start changing settings etc.

Have mainly used the 55-250 so far as most of my practice work has been of the dogs and cats.

Same here! But I am looking to add the 50-1.8 [after playing with kja's fancy lenses over the weekend]

Same here! But I am looking to add the 50-1.8 [after playing with kja's fancy lenses over the weekend]

Ooohhh, nice. I think my first big addition will be a Canon Speedlite Flash.

I started with the Canon 450D twin lens kit (same lenses as the kit lenses with the 550D) and they were great to learn on. My photography equipment seems to multiply though - if you really get into it like a lot of us have, it's a very expensive hobby :laugh:

Get the twin lenses and then get the 50mm 1.8 - it's only about $120-$150 so it's relatively inexpensive to buy!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all who replied. I think I will get all 3 lenses, but now I need help with something else :confused:

Ok another question. I havent totally settled on this camera. I would like to but not sure if I can bring myself to spend that sort of money. I would purchase overseas except Im a bit wary with the whole warranty issues. I would be more than happy to buy a second hand one, although they are hard to come by.

So Ive been looking at other models but I just dont know exactly what im looking at. Ive heard the 40d mentioned a few times and that its a great camera, but heard the same about the 450d etc. Ive tried comparing them but then I just get all confused and not sure what I should choose.

Can someone recommend something for me, or should I stick with the 550d.

I want to take mainly photos of my dogs, action shots and still shots.

I want sharpness in the picture quality, and be able to take photos quickly and be able to do that thing where it takes heaps of photos in quick succession,lol, technical arent I?. I would also like to be able to take nice shots in low light.

I dont care much for HD video, and I dont plan on blowing photos up to huge sizes. The biggest I might blow one up would be a 10x8 probably. I would like to be able to crop without losing quality of the image though.

Im not sure what would be most suitable, I dont want a camera that Im not goin to use all its features if there is something cheaper that will do exactly what I want, without all the extras. I dont plan on getting too creative, I just dont have it in me.

All opinions welcome although would really appreciate some proffessionals opinions, Im doing my head in, trying to decide.

Edited by Kaffy Magee