Dog Obedience In Ipswich Qld?

PoppyDog

Hi Everyone,

I would like to get Poppy into some dog obedience classes/course/group.

We did Puppy Preschool with our local vet and she LOVED it as did I. :)

But I know she would love to do something more. For the stimulation and social aspect.

Does anyone have any reccomendations of places to go? She is almost 9 months old, desexed and has basic obedience but could do with more training in this area.

I work fulltime so would prefer a weekend or evening class.

Thanks in advance!

I go to the club at Tivoli on Wednesday evenings. It is a cheap place to train, but I have had much better standard of instruction at other places. I go because Woody needs to be worked around other dogs.

Thanks GreyTmate. :D

So are you suggesting that somewhere else would be better for us?

What is the name of the club at Tivoli? I want to google it! :eek:

Have found Agility Dog Club of QLD. It has a 8 week obendience course for $85. ???

Have found Agility Dog Club of QLD. It has a 8 week obendience course for $85. ???

I get the impression that will then lead onto agility later on to the skills class (i'm starting the skills class this weekend, VERY excited!!!!!), so if you do end up there, keep your eyes open for me and my blue merle aussie :laugh: . I've heard it's a really good a club...... But I haven't been there before, so just going on what i've heard!!

Good luck!!!! :)

I get the impression that will then lead onto agility later on to the skills class (i'm starting the skills class this weekend, VERY excited!!!!!), so if you do end up there, keep your eyes open for me and my blue merle aussie :laugh: . I've heard it's a really good a club...... But I haven't been there before, so just going on what i've heard!!

Oooh! That is exciting! :laugh: I think Agility is something Poppy would enjoy but tbh I don't know a lot about it. Might have to do some research! The only thing that concerns me about their 8 week course is they mention using a halti lead and I've had mixed reviews on those so am not sure it's something I want to use on Poppy. I wonder if I could just politely decline... Hmmm! Will let you know if I end up there! Would love to meet you and your doggy! :eek:

I went to Tivoli with my GSD ... their methods are all about clicker training and rewarding. It would be excellent for a dog that is food motivated and is eager to please.

My GSD has a high prey drive so he can be "difficult" sometimes (and perfect the next) so it was a bit of stuggle for us - we spent a lot of time at the other end of the field trying to get his focus back on me and not every dog that moved. A friend and his labX did brilliantly in the class.

You don't need to use a halti - it is up to you. They prefer you train on a flat collar only ... but they do recommend a halti over a check chain etc.

Edited by Tilly

Oooh! That is exciting! :laugh: I think Agility is something Poppy would enjoy but tbh I don't know a lot about it. Might have to do some research! The only thing that concerns me about their 8 week course is they mention using a halti lead and I've had mixed reviews on those so am not sure it's something I want to use on Poppy. I wonder if I could just politely decline... Hmmm! Will let you know if I end up there! Would love to meet you and your doggy! :eek:

Yep - they said to me they much prefer flat collars!!!

So is the one at Tivoli the Agility Club of QLD??? - Nevermind...I just looked at the website again... it is! :laugh:

I would use her flat colour. Have never used a check chain.

Poppy is VERY food orientated!!! She will do anything for a treat! :)

Edited by PoppyDog

I think there are two clubs at Tivoli. I go to the Ipswich Dog Obedience Club. You pay an annual membership, but that includes the 8 week beginners course.

There is no particular emphasis on any method of training. The standard of instruction is very basic.

I go because I need to get Woody desensitised to other dogs. But I am relying on my knowledge of being an obedience instructor for fifteen years to teach him the exercises, work him properly and help my partner train Coconut.

I think if we were totally new to obedience we may have struggled a bit.

We didn't join the Agility club because the intention is to get Woody up to novice obedience level, not have him doing agility. Scary thought.

If your cav is sound and healthy, I suggest you do try agility, because she will probably enjoy it even if you never do it competitively.

yep, there are two clubs. The obedience club is on the main road just near the brick works - they train week nights. (not sure which ones).

The Agility Dog Club of Qld trains on a Sunday afternoon/evening and is largely a reward based/clicker style of training. The basic course focusses on relationship with your dog rather than technical obedience skills and does led into agility. I instruct there and train most weeks as well.

Cheers

Tony