Lingering Effect Of Season?

FranVT

I am probably being ridiculous but just wanted to get some opinions.

Luuka's season is supposedly over. I first noticed blood 5 weeks ago tomorrow. Her vulva is back to normal size with no trace of blood or any other secretions.

During the season her nipples sort of got small lumps underneath them, smaller than a pea and kind of felt like there was a 'fluid' around them. No worries I was told that was a normal part of the season.

So now at this point nearly 2 weeks after the supposed finish of the season her nipples are still sort of swollen, well not the nipples themselves but the area underneath, there doesn't appear to be a defined lump like there was before on palpation, more like a kind of liquid sac or something.

I've never owned a bitch before so I am not sure if this is normal or not. I planned to take her to the vet this afternoon but a person at work said that the same thing happened to her Stafford bitch and that it is normal. I thought I'd ask on here. Perfectly happy to keep the vet appointment this afternoon but if I am being ridiculous then I'd like to be told :thumbsup:

Couple more points, she does not appear bothered by this at all and there is no fluid coming from the nipples. Even when I touch them (sounds so inappropriate!) she doesn't mind, she loves bellyrubs as usual, no tenderness. They are not hot or red.

I have attached a photo :thumbsup: Sorry I know it's not good quality, was taken last night as we were having our normal nightly cuddle and she was being a wigglemonster.

I can't post in the breeder's section so I thought I'd ask here. All advice/opinions/face-palming welcome :laugh:

post-29400-1283139239_thumb.jpg

She's a woman with boobs instead of a girl with nipples now.

:thumbsup: really? So it's normal?

Soudns as if she is having a phantom pregnancy Fran.

Holycrap *hyperventilates* what should I do? Anything?

Well, it's what has happened to each of the bitches I have owned. They permanently have a little mammary tissue bump, if one had a phantom it would swell beyond that.

I had the same feeling as you recently FranCQ. Only Annie's nipples really grew and almost looked bluish around them from the extra blood that went to them. I started panicking thinking that maybe I had missed the first week of her season, left her in the yard and a dog got to her!!!

I knew it wasn't true but there was that niggly feeling :thumbsup: .

All was fine though, it just took a few weeks to go down and now she just has more prominent nipples than beforehand.

My girl had her first season recently, day 1 was on 12 May, a couple of weeks after it was over she had a phantom and was even producing milk, it's only in the last week that it has gone down and she is starting to look normal again. I just let it run it's course.

I had the same feeling as you recently FranCQ. Only Annie's nipples really grew and almost looked bluish around them from the extra blood that went to them. I started panicking thinking that maybe I had missed the first week of her season, left her in the yard and a dog got to her!!!

I knew it wasn't true but there was that niggly feeling :thumbsup: .

All was fine though, it just took a few weeks to go down and now she just has more prominent nipples than beforehand.

Oh really! Yeah Luuka's are blue-ish too, not as bad as they were while she was in season but still kind of bruise-like.

Phantom pregnancies are very common and nothing to worry about :laugh:

Phew!

My girl had her first season recently, day 1 was on 12 May, a couple of weeks after it was over she had a phantom and was even producing milk, it's only in the last week that it has gone down and she is starting to look normal again. I just let it run it's course.

That's cool! If I'm worrying needlessly then that is the best news I could hope for :thumbsup:

Someone PMed me to tell me that :D Thanks to both of you! I just assumed because I couldn't reply to threads I couldn't post one! That explains why I've thought 'wtf? how come this random can start a thread?' in there before :)