Olympus Equipment Reference Thread

DMA

And I am hoping to buy them both in the states :confused:

I hope you get a couple of bargins then :laugh:

Have you heard anything about the 25mm f/2.8 ED Zuiko Lens? I am considering getting it to go on my e420 so that when we are away (or even here) I can put it on the e420 and lend it to other people to take pics ect.

Only what I've read. Sharpness should be good, it's very compact, so expect good photos. However, the photos will only be slightly better than the kit lens. So it's no SWD series. But it should ensure that your E-420 is even more "compact" than with the 14-42mm lens.

To me it comes down to whether you need the wider aperture IMHO rather than compactness. If you or your friend is just going to take photos in normal light, well personally I'd save my money & stick with the kit lens & tolerate the slightly larger lens (& you gain the benefit of it being a zoom), but if there's a touch of low light around, & compactness is a must, then sure it's something to seriously consider.

Edited by DMA

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we are going in winter and NYC will be snowy.... I will think about it ;) Thanks for the feedback! I will have to see how well I can save though it may only be one lens. :o

Not a problem. Glad to help :)

Here's hoping you can get both SWD lenses :rolleyes: especially considering the strength of the Aussie dollar to the Greenback!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I came across an interesting comparision review of the Flagship model of the standard Four-Thirds (the Olympus E-5) & the Flagship model of the Micro Four-Thirds (the Panasonic GH-2) system here at Four Thirds User. It comes as no surprise to me that the SLR still has it over its Mirrorless counterpart. Their conclusion states:

In our tests the results clearly show that the E-5 and GH2 can significantly out-resolve Olympus’ E-3 and E-30 DSLRs. The E-5 also out-resolves the GH2 at low and high ISO settings, although the GH2 rallies in mid-range ISO sensitivities.

So I think I'll be sticking with my E-5 for now... :cry:

Having said that the GH2 has gain a lot of praise, since its launch, & is truly a major step forward for the Mirrorless system. Give it another generation, especially in respect to mastering the new 16 megapixel sensor, & Micro Four-Thirds system could make for a very serious challenger to the traditional SLR technology regardless of brand. Are you listening Canon? :)

can you post some pics you've taken, I dont think I've ever seen anything from it.

Sure... here's a shitzu x from Kurri pound from last week...

160a.jpg

160c.jpg

160d.jpg

160dd.jpg

160e.jpg

This is using the E-5 with the Sigma 24mm

ISO set at 200

Aperture set at 1.8f

And some from Muswellbrook pound...

05a0211a-1.jpg

05a0211d-1.jpg

05a0211e-1.jpg

280211a.jpg

280211b.jpg

E-5 using the Zuiko 12-60mm

ISO set at 1 600

Aperture between 2.8f - 3.4f

• 3 weeks later...

Great news! The E-5 has won the XXI Technical Image Press Association 2011 Award for the best photographic and imaging product for "Best D-SLR Expert"

For a very reasonable price, the Olympus E-5 provides benefits that rival those found in some professional SLRs: complete weather-sealing, comprehensive functions, excellent responsiveness, 100% viewfinder, good noise control, dual CF/SD slots, built-in image stabilisation, all in a rugged magnesium-alloy body. Add to this Olympus' Dust Reduction System, which has proven to be among the most effective solutions in the market. The 12.3 Megapixel Live MOS sensor, combined with the 'TruePic V+' image engine produces images that rival competitors with substantially higher pixel counts.

Source: http://www.tipa.com/english/award-details....st+D-SLR+Expert

• 2 months later...

Update on the Zuiko 50-200mm SWD lens...

I've resently had the opportunity to use this lens a lot, on my E-5, & I've got to say, in my experience, this is one outstanding lens. I would dare say it's the best lens Zuiko make, even superior to their 12-60mm SWD, & most likely one of the great lenses any manufacturer has ever produced. Thank you Zuiko as I'll be using this lens almost exclusively at Wyong pound now I've got the opportunity to take photos there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

:wave: DMA

How is the E5 going? I am trying to decide if I should get some new lenses next year or... :scared: change brand!

I am a bit worried about the e5 being the only recent edition in the four thirds range that they are going to stop making four thirds and only micro four thirds.

Really enjoying my e30 though! Just sick of the e420 kit lenses. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

:wave: DMA

How is the E5 going? I am trying to decide if I should get some new lenses next year or... :scared: change brand!

I am a bit worried about the e5 being the only recent edition in the four thirds range that they are going to stop making four thirds and only micro four thirds.

Really enjoying my e30 though! Just sick of the e420 kit lenses. :rolleyes:

Oh God! Sorry I missed this! :o Last year was just ssssooooooooooooooooooooooo full on in every dept!

Yeah it seems the days of four thirds is numbered but then again, what with the huge scandel which hit Olympus, maybe Olympus days is numbered :eek:

The key, however, to your situation is get better glass. Yes the E-5 is better than the E-30 - there's no doubt about that given I'm getting the best out of the SWD lenses I have, which I also used with your E-30. Nevertheless it's the glass that's important here, & not overly the body, if you want the best results. In fact you will still be complaining about those kit lenses regardless of body whether it be the E-30 or the E-5. So although it means a further investment in the 4/3rds system, I'd recommend you get the 12-60mm SWD & the 50-200mm SWD. They are by far & away two of the best lenses anyone makes period. And it is because of the optics that I choose to stay with Olympus. Seriously getting such glass will seem like you've gotten a new camera the improvement is that much better.

Edited by DMA