Sophie - 15 Week Cavalier Update.

Maia

Sophie is 15 and a half weeks old now and I thought I'd let people know how she's doing in case it helps anyone and in case anyone can help me. :-)

Problem: We had trouble with her sleeping through the night in the crate next to my bed. There was always at least one toilet break where I had to take her out and she would wake up early and cry and scratch and carry on wanting to be UP.

Solution: She now sleeps on my bed. Ha! She sleeps through the night and happily until at least 7 in the morning. I love the cuddles so I am not complaining. :-)

Problem: She hates being in her play pen. We don't leave her for long periods and do lots of rewarding her for being quiet in there, etc. But if she wants out she barks and whines and scratches.

Solution: She is better if she is worn out from exercise and goes into her bed after minimal fuss and sleeps. But when we are eating dinner, she just carries on. We ignore her ... and eat our dinner to the sound track of her displeasure. No treats are delicious enough to distract her. Not sure what to do about this.

Problem: Taking her for walks and her getting hyped and crazy on the way home - pulling, etc.

Solution: We are starting obedience in 10 days but in the meantime I took Wizzle's advice and bought an Easy Walk Harness. Brilliant! She still pulls a bit but listens when you correct her.

Problem: Our free range chickens that run away from her in the back yard which is simply too exciting for her to ignore.

Solution: A temporary fence. Anyone with advice on how to get her to stop chasing chickens would be much appreciated. (My partner thinks it's just a matter of letting her get used to them. He might be right but input from others who have done it would be good.)

Problem: Barking. She has started barking a lot in excitement when she sees the cats (who totally ignore her) and barking in her playpen. I have heard people say you can teach a dog to bark on command and then shush on command. Anyone with thoughts on this?

In general though, she is an absolute delight of a puppy. We have no toilet issues as we are still doing that thing of taking her out on a leash regularly and telling her to "go potty" and then inside she is always supervised. She has hyper times where she can get a bit out of control but we had methods to settle this down and often just putting her in the playpen for five minutes calms her. She is very loving and friendly and cuddly which we love. She is responsive and learns fast when I teach her new things. She is great at playing "Fetch" unless I tell my partner to watch how clever she is, in which case she suddenly has no idea what I am talking about. :-)

I think that's all.

Maia and Sophie.

sounds to me like she is a typical puppy and that you are doing a great job with her!

some cavaliers are just high prey drive whilst others don't care. I think it's part of the genetics of what breeds they are made up of but could be wrong. My sweet little blenheim Poppy RIP was the laziest little dog, took her around to a friend's place one day, looked around and she was climbing up a chair, then over a chest of drawers to get to a bird in a cage. She was an awesome mouser too. Sorry don't know the solution to the chickens, I just think that in time they will learn to live with each other and consistent reinforcement if she is exhibiting interest in them.

We have an 8 month old CKCS X and we had the same issues with the sleeping in the crate that you did! :love:

Poppy also sleeps on our bed now and is much happier and a much better sleeper! On the weekends she will happily sleep in with us till 9am! :D

Sophie is 15 and a half weeks old now and I thought I'd let people know how she's doing in case it helps anyone and in case anyone can help me. :-)

Problem: We had trouble with her sleeping through the night in the crate next to my bed. There was always at least one toilet break where I had to take her out and she would wake up early and cry and scratch and carry on wanting to be UP.

Solution: She now sleeps on my bed. Ha! She sleeps through the night and happily until at least 7 in the morning. I love the cuddles so I am not complaining. :-)

Good solution!

Problem: She hates being in her play pen. We don't leave her for long periods and do lots of rewarding her for being quiet in there, etc. But if she wants out she barks and whines and scratches.

Solution: She is better if she is worn out from exercise and goes into her bed after minimal fuss and sleeps. But when we are eating dinner, she just carries on. We ignore her ... and eat our dinner to the sound track of her displeasure. No treats are delicious enough to distract her. Not sure what to do about this.

keep persevering, she will learn eventually.

Problem: Taking her for walks and her getting hyped and crazy on the way home - pulling, etc.

Solution: We are starting obedience in 10 days but in the meantime I took Wizzle's advice and bought an Easy Walk Harness. Brilliant! She still pulls a bit but listens when you correct her.

Problem: Our free range chickens that run away from her in the back yard which is simply too exciting for her to ignore.

Solution: A temporary fence. Anyone with advice on how to get her to stop chasing chickens would be much appreciated. (My partner thinks it's just a matter of letting her get used to them. He might be right but input from others who have done it would be good.)

Interaction through the fence may help, also teach her to "leave it". i would not be leaving them together unsupervised though

Problem: Barking. She has started barking a lot in excitement when she sees the cats (who totally ignore her) and barking in her playpen. I have heard people say you can teach a dog to bark on command and then shush on command. Anyone with thoughts on this?

I wouldn't do this. she sounds like she is very vocal. Teach the shhhh but not speak. she may start offering the speak behaviour a lot if she is rewarded for it

In general though, she is an absolute delight of a puppy. We have no toilet issues as we are still doing that thing of taking her out on a leash regularly and telling her to "go potty" and then inside she is always supervised. She has hyper times where she can get a bit out of control but we had methods to settle this down and often just putting her in the playpen for five minutes calms her. She is very loving and friendly and cuddly which we love. She is responsive and learns fast when I teach her new things. She is great at playing "Fetch" unless I tell my partner to watch how clever she is, in which case she suddenly has no idea what I am talking about. :-)

I think that's all.

Maia and Sophie.

She sounds like she is doing very well :love:

This is no attack on the OP but why to people let there dogs sleep on there bed? I dont get it. they are a dog not a person. they need to learn to sleep in there space not in yours.

I am taking a big leap and guessing you dont have kids? what happens when you do and the bub comes in and the dog gets kicked out (it happens all the time) then you will have an extreamly unhappy dog.

The rest sounds like you are doing awsome.

I just do not agree with dogs being in peoples beds.

This is no attack on the OP but why to people let there dogs sleep on there bed? I dont get it. they are a dog not a person. they need to learn to sleep in there space not in yours.

I am taking a big leap and guessing you dont have kids? what happens when you do and the bub comes in and the dog gets kicked out (it happens all the time) then you will have an extreamly unhappy dog.

OH works nights, I get cold. Nothing better than a Ridgie sized water bottle to warm you up :o

Seriously though, I wouldn't let a puppy sleep on my bed if I didn't want it to do so as an adult. My dog is crate trained. If I want him off the bed he gets booted off and told to go to his crate instead. Doesn't bother him in the slightest.

I think its personal choice.

Why would the dog get kicked out if the OP had kids?

I don't agree with dogs being kept outside 100% of the time if they are kept as pets (working dogs different story) and I would never personally keep a pet dog of mine outside all the time.

However, I respect people's decision to have their dogs be outside only if they wish as long as their basic needs are met.

Just different opinions which we should at least accept, not necessarily agree with...

Why would the dog get kicked off the bed even if there were kids?

Its not like kids sleep in the same bed as their parents. I certainly think it would be worse for a baby to sleep in the same bed as the parents!

And I'm guessing people who let the dog sleep in their own bed wouldn't have probs with letting the dog sleep with the kids.

I've never let Oscar (Cavalier) sleep in my bed and over the past week I have WANTED him to sleep in my bed, so he jumps up, will be next to me whilst I fall asleep and I wake up and he is in his bed next to my bed!! All week I have been asking "what is wrong with me, why wont he snuggle with his mumma" :o .. My partner keeps telling me "because he knows his boundaries".

I think it is lovely for people that snuggle with their dogs at night but as a puppy and they are learning I think it is wise just putting up with the annoying noise they do.

A puppy needing to go potty during the night at 15 weeks old seems pretty normal to me. I locked Oscar in the bathroom or laundry until he was about 7 months old and then I put his bed next to my bed. I've never felt the need to crate train him and personally that doesn't appeal to me. He knows bed time and he runs straight to his bed and lays down, doesn't get up unless he is REALLY busting and he just puts his two paws on the edge of the bed and nuzzles your back until you wake up. When you do he runs to and from the bedroom door to let you know "I'M BUSTING".

It's a personal choice...I could say them same about people who co-sleep with their children! :o

For us personally she lept better in the bed. We tried the crate and the bathroom and we persevered (sp?) with both. She didn't start sleeping on the bed until about 6 months of age. So we didn't give up easily! We tried different things and tried them for months!

Poppy also has her own bed and some nights she will sleep in it, in our room.

I don't plan on kicking her out of the bed when we have babies. We have a king bed that is big enough for everyone! :eek:

Well I originally didn't want her in my bed because I didn't want a dog-smelling bed. But other than that, I am not fussed by dogs in beds. I have two cats in bed with me (when they so choose) and the kids (teenagers) always said they wanted a dog to sleep on their beds.

But it turns out I like the snuggles I get more than being worried about having a doggy bed. And yeah, the kids are teens, so I won't be kicking her off my bed now. :-)

haha Banjo likes sleeping on my bed. I like him sleeping on my bed. (sometimes he even gets cuddled to sleep under the blankets haha)

We are all warm and content and there are no problems.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

As soon as Luda is toilet trained and can hold on through the night then she will be on the bed as well :eek: (if thats where she wants to be)

Yeah I dont see how having kids changes anything either?

Now I dont understand how people make their dogs sleep outside. especially in the cold weather :o

We let ours fall asleep on the bed and then we put them in their pens once they are asleep! Then I set my alarm 15 mins before we actually have to get up and we bring them back up for morning puppy cuddles which they ( and we!) absolutly love! :) As soon as they hear my alarm go off they shake their pens like crazy until we bring them up! :confused:

Once they are asleep they usually have 1 toilet break and race back to bed again! My OH is such a softy and wants them on the bed but I know how bad it will be to break the habit if they dont go well! but we may try it soon! Everyone has their own opinion just like when raising kids I guess!

OP, you sound like you are doing a great job with Sophie!!! Maybe Genevieve and Sophie can meet up one day for a play date?!

Re: Sleeping on the bed...

I too was adamant that she wasn't going to be on the bed! Because as PP suggested, we don't have children yet and I didn't want her in the bedrooms at all. While I don't plan to co-sleep with my babies (when they arrive), I just don't feel it is safe to have a dog around in the middle of the night when you are sleep deprived, can't see straight and have a screaming child to attend to!

But... to preserve my sanity and to keep me warm in my lonely bed while Hubby is away, she has ended up on our bed :confused: ... that being said, it hasn't happened every night and the nights she has stayed in the laundry I haven't had any issues from her. I also have found that she is better behaved during the day, after spending the night with me. I expect long term, she will be allowed on the bed when he is away... when he is home, she will be in her house. At the moment he is away more than he is home, but hopefully it won't be the case for much longer.

I know it could possible become confusing for her to start with, but my old dog had the same rules (was kicked off the bed when the then BF was over) and she was fine (you could almost see the big sigh... "alright then! I'll go!"). I was a teen who had her dog sleep on the bed with her... and I loved it. It was one of the things I missed the most when I moved out of home (sorry Hubby!!!)

At the end of the day, you have to do what works for you and the dog. If this is working, I say stick to it!!

OP, you sound like you are doing a great job with Sophie!!! Maybe Genevieve and Sophie can meet up one day for a play date?!

Re: Sleeping on the bed...

I too was adamant that she wasn't going to be on the bed! Because as PP suggested, we don't have children yet and I didn't want her in the bedrooms at all. While I don't plan to co-sleep with my babies (when they arrive), I just don't feel it is safe to have a dog around in the middle of the night when you are sleep deprived, can't see straight and have a screaming child to attend to!

But... to preserve my sanity and to keep me warm in my lonely bed while Hubby is away, she has ended up on our bed :confused: ... that being said, it hasn't happened every night and the nights she has stayed in the laundry I haven't had any issues from her. I also have found that she is better behaved during the day, after spending the night with me. I expect long term, she will be allowed on the bed when he is away... when he is home, she will be in her house. At the moment he is away more than he is home, but hopefully it won't be the case for much longer.

Wizzle, my partner and I don't share a room due to me being a VERY light sleeper and him being a VERY bad snorer and also a shift worker. We get more sleep in our own rooms. So I love having the cats, and now Sophie, sharing my bed. And i agree, the more love and cuddles she gets, the better behaved she seems to be!

And yes, a play date would be lovely. Which dog training school do you go to, btw. I am planning to take Sophie to Knox Obedience Club.

I wouldn't do this. she sounds like she is very vocal. Teach the shhhh but not speak. she may start offering the speak behaviour a lot if she is rewarded for it

She sounds like she is doing very well :rofl:

How would you go about teaching a dog "shhhh"? Is it just telling them to "shhh" when they are barking and then when they stop barking you treat reward?

Thanks,

Maia

She sounds like she is doing very well :rofl:

How would you go about teaching a dog "shhhh"? Is it just telling them to "shhh" when they are barking and then when they stop barking you treat reward?

Thanks,

Maia

Exactly! :thumbsup:

my dog sleeps in my bed and i know she is a dog so does she.

if i want her to sleep in her crate she will do that without any fuss

i think dogs can sleep wherever their owners want so i disagree with your stance.