Puppy Desexing Qurestion

HeavyPaws

I have been advised by wonderful people on here and by my vet that desexing giant breed dogs at 8 weeks can affect their growth and they shouldn't be done till at least 12 months.

Is this just for the giant breeds or can it affect others too?

It can affect any breed. Of course the larger and longer the growth, the more potential there is to impact on the dog.

Here is a study but no significant association was detected., however there was a tendency that early spayed bitches were less likely to be incontinent.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...mp;searchtype=a

This study below says there IS evidence to suggest a higher incidence of urinary incontinence 12.9% v 5% abd cystitis in bitches spayed prior to 5.5 months of age... (page 5)

http://www.uq.edu.au/ccah/docs/dpieadreportdogsandcats.pdf

Edited by TrinaJ

Yep. Depends on the dog and breed plays a part too. And most bitches don't develop spay incontinence.. in fact, more bitches desexed at 6mths develop the condition, than pups done under 12wks.

Juvenile desexing has been happening for years in the UK and US and thankfully, it isn't that hard to find a vet to do it here in Australia either and with younger vets, it's being done more often too.. still mainly rescue pups, but some breeders are doing it now too which is fabulous.. and the only way to guarantee byb-ing can't be encouraged or done by puppy buyers... no accidental litters either.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

It is the only way I can guarantee that my puppies will never end up with BYBer's.

I agree with this.

If I were breeding any breed commonly used in "designer" breeds, or popular with backyarders, I'd get the pups speyed as early as possible. A slight risk of incontinence is a very small price to pay to keep the puppies from being used in unethical breeding situations.

And that goes for larger breeds too.

Here is a study but no significant association was detected., however there was a tendency that early spayed bitches were less likely to be incontinent.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...mp;searchtype=a

That's fascinating, thanks TrinaJ! Also very interesting that both docked & larger bitches were found to be more likely to be incontinent. I'll be interested to see if/how our recommendations at uni change after that is published (it's in press now, it says) & more widely read.

A slight risk of incontinence is a very small price to pay to keep the puppies from being used in unethical breeding situations.

Yes I understand but I also think about that poor puppy that gets sent to the pound because it can't hold it's wee wee. :eek:

A slight risk of incontinence is a very small price to pay to keep the puppies from being used in unethical breeding situations.

Yes I understand but I also think about that poor puppy that gets sent to the pound because it can't hold it's wee wee. :eek:

There are drugs that can help control this.

Unfortunately not all people are prepared to put the time in cleaning up until it is brought under control. Some dogs just get kicked outside until the end, no medication. Some do get dumped or euthed, the only one I have seen euthed myself was an older dog. It was very fit otherwise though and would have lived happily for quite a few more years I believe. But is was all too hard for the owner.

Well the agreement/contract should state that if the dog becomes Incontinent because of desexing the breeder will help in some way.

What happens when a heredity issue arises in a pup that you have sold? How is that dealt with?

Or is the new owner left to deal with an abnormal condition hereditary illness or incontinence caused by the breeders desexing on their own?

I’m not a breeder and have never adopted a pup/dog with an agreement/ contract so I don’t know if these things would commonly be part of an agreement I would imagine that they are.