Puppy Desexing Qurestion

HeavyPaws

I saw some 7 week old puppies for sale, not saying where or who by.

Part of the ad says 'already desexed so ready to go', but I was under the impression that desexing can only be performed over 8 weeks old.

Am I right, and if so, why is this?

I saw some 7 week old puppies for sale, not saying where or who by.

Part of the ad says 'already desexed so ready to go', but I was under the impression that desexing can only be performed over 8 weeks old.

Am I right, and if so, why is this?

All I can tell you that it is a known fact that the RSPCA have been de sexing from 6 weeks for many years.

I'd be concerned they were going home at 7 weeks at all. How young would they have been when they were desesxed? If they are ready to go I would hope they had at least had their stitches removed and most vets leave them in for at least 10 days so they would have been 5 weeks when they were done?

Too many questions.

i know a vet used to work for rspca victoria and he told me that the number of incontinet puppies reported by concerned owners, from early desexing made him feel this was not in the best interests of the puppies or their owners.

although he did a great many in his previous employment, he flatly refuses to do so since being in private practice.

Edited by asal

The pup has to weigh 2 kilos to be desexed. That is for my toy breed, may be more for larger breeds.

My pups have 1 stitch, my male kittens don't have any stitches & they get done too.

The stitch is usually ok removed by about day 7, healing is very rapid.

No reports back of early incontinence, or any other problem, in 5 years of doing this & many cat breeders I know have been doing it for longer.

The debate goes both ways so personal choice on this however they certainly bounce back in no time at a younger age & show little sign of any surgery being done at all.

My sisters little rspca dog (staffyxkelpie) was desexed at 6 weeks... and went to my sis at 8 weeks...

No problems with incontinence so far with her... But it's most likely one of those things which will just depend on the dog...

Yep. Depends on the dog and breed plays a part too. And most bitches don't develop spay incontinence.. in fact, more bitches desexed at 6mths develop the condition, than pups done under 12wks.

Juvenile desexing has been happening for years in the UK and US and thankfully, it isn't that hard to find a vet to do it here in Australia either and with younger vets, it's being done more often too.. still mainly rescue pups, but some breeders are doing it now too which is fabulous.. and the only way to guarantee byb-ing can't be encouraged or done by puppy buyers... no accidental litters either.

The incontinence thing is an issue. They recommend at my uni that we don't desex female dogs before 4 months old, except in a shelter situation where they want or need to get animals adopted out as soon as possible, due to the increased risk of spay incontinence with younger desexing. Contrary to what you might suspect though, studies haven't found a greater risk of serious anaesthetic complications in the younger animals.

Cats are a little different, spay incontinence isn't a problem with them as it is with dogs. Nor is it an issue with male dogs. Even then though, we don't desex those guys before 8 weeks old. If these pups are ready to go by 7 weeks, that really is very young.

Contrary to what you might suspect though, studies haven't found a greater risk of serious anaesthetic complications in the younger animals.

They've actually found that pups under 12wks recover faster, have an almost zero risk of infection, it is very rare for them to pull at stitches, they heal A LOT faster (stitches can often be removed after 5days).

Contrary to what you might suspect though, studies haven't found a greater risk of serious anaesthetic complications in the younger animals.

They've actually found that pups under 12wks recover faster, have an almost zero risk of infection, it is very rare for them to pull at stitches, they heal A LOT faster (stitches can often be removed after 5days).

Can you please post the link to the study, Cordelia?

(I should clarify that a "major anaesthetic complication" is something that goes majorly wrong while the animal is under or recovering from anaesthetic. It doesn't include the recovery period for the days & weeks after the operation).

Edited by Staranais

I have had some degree of spey incontinence in all three of my desexed bitches. One was 8 months, one was 6and a half years and one was five years. Not sure I would like one desexed that young as I haven't had much luck as it is!

My understanding was they were generally desexed around 8 weeks and went to their new homes at 10 weeks.

I would be a little concerend they are going to new homes at 7 weeks, particularly if they have only been recently desexed. I I was desexing mine I would prefer the 8 and 10 week idea

Yep. Depends on the dog and breed plays a part too. And most bitches don't develop spay incontinence.. in fact, more bitches desexed at 6mths develop the condition, than pups done under 12wks.

Juvenile desexing has been happening for years in the UK and US and thankfully, it isn't that hard to find a vet to do it here in Australia either and with younger vets, it's being done more often too.. still mainly rescue pups, but some breeders are doing it now too which is fabulous.. and the only way to guarantee byb-ing can't be encouraged or done by puppy buyers... no accidental litters either.

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

It is the only way I can guarantee that my puppies will never end up with BYBer's.

I was speaking to a vet at work about spay incontinence, and in her experience, she said early desexed bitches did not appear to be affected any more than any other age bitch. She said it is all due to hormones, and any spayed bitch can get it, regardless of age.

Esky was desexed at 7 weeks old by her breeder.

It was done through key hole surgery and she only needed 2 stitches and minimal recovery time.

She wasn't out of action very long.

I picked her up when she was ALMOST 8 weeks old, and we've had no problems with her.

I think this was best for us, considering the living situation I am in now.

I haven't seen this study - do you have a link?

Tahli was desexed at 9 weeks, since she's a rescue. Took her home on the day and she was fine, you wouldn't think she had it done, healed up nicely, stitches taken out at 10 days.

Eveyone said to me that was strange to already be desexed but being rescue's what can you do?

I haven't seen this study - do you have a link?

I would really like one too. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...