What Breeds Would You Consider?

Lucy's mama

I'd probably let her do all the research into breeds and then she can present to you why she wants the particular breed and any potential problems that may occur (eg sheltie barking) and how she will address that.

I like your thinking Aussielover.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a cocker and a beagle. The cocker was way to distracted to do agility, too interested in the other dogs to train for toys or treats. My beagle is awesome at agility!!! She will do anything for treats or toys and she just blossomed at agility. They can be stubborn but most beagles will do anything for food and praise.

I am in a similar boat. May daughter (11) is waiting for her own agility dog.

Her choices in order are

Sheltie (generally too nervy for a child I think)

Papillon (too small not to get injured running with my BC's)

Cavalier (as above)

She runs my BC's incredibly well (better than I do, so people keep telling me :provoke: ) and I wonder if a less motivated breed will really be enough for her. I think we will end up with a rescue small working breed for her.

She comes to trials with me all the time & has run a number of different dogs for people which she gets a big thrill out of. Does she come to club with you? I find people are always offering Chloe their older dogs once they see how keen she is. It is really good experience & confidence building.

Edited by Vickie

I am in a similar boat. May daughter (11) is waiting for her own agility dog.

Her choices in order are

Sheltie (generally too nervy for a child I think)

Papillon (too small not to get injured running with my BC's)

Cavalier (as above)

She runs my BC's incredibly well (better than I do, so people keep telling me :provoke: ) and I wonder if a less motivated breed will really be enough for her. I think we will end up with a rescue small working breed for her.

She comes to trials with me all the time & has run a number of different dogs for people which she gets a big thrill out of. Does she come to club with you? I find people are always offering Chloe their older dogs once they see how keen she is. It is really good experience & confidence building.

Yes, she is coming with me, but I am only a newbie myself. Good luck finding her something suitable.

Edited by Lucy's mama

A calm, small bitch Aussie would be suitable if you wanted to go down that track again. I know how much a handful Banjo has been but what you are describing is pretty much Holly. It would just be about finding the right one, although I completely understand you not wanting to go with another Aussie after Banjo. :provoke:

He is really not that terrible, just more difficult than expected and perhaps more suitable to a quieter home with older or more sedate children. She did want her own Aussie, but no, I'm not sure it would be a good idea. Although with an adult we would know what we were getting exactly.

Smaller dogs I'd recommend would be:

Sheltie (nice outgoing one)

Papillon

Miniature or Toy Poodle

Most CKCS I've seen don't have a lot of drive but the right one would be a good choice.

Personally, I'd go for a Pap or a Toy Poodle for the safest bet. I reckon one of either breed (opt for a bitch) would have an Aussie Shepherd whipped into line in no time! :provoke:

Edited by poodlefan

Personally, I'd go for a Pap or a Toy Poodle for the safest bet. I reckon one of either breed (opt for a bitch) would have an Aussie Shepherd whipped into line in no time! :provoke:

It's not often I disagree with you PF :rofl: but I honestly think it might not be the safest bet for the little one, living with a boisterous Aussie.

I have spoken to a heap of people who have paps, since Chloe is so set on one. Every single one has advised against having one live with large active breeds, some of them through bad experiences where the pap has been seriously hurt.

My girls are great with paps...but playing with them occasionally is different to living with them full time.

Edited by Vickie

have you consider a belgain they are great , i had a female she was quite a small size like a small bordercollie my 4 year old could handle her , there great for agilty and bond greatly with there owners .

It's not often I disagree with you PF :) but I honestly think it might not be the safest bet for the little one, living with a boisterous Aussie.

I have spoken to a heap of people who have paps, since Chloe is so set on one. Every single one has advised against having one live with large active breeds, some of them through bad experiences where the pap has been seriously hurt.

My girls are great with paps...but playing with them occasionally is different to living with them full time.

Point taken Vickie. I'd not allow them to free run unsupervised but they are pretty good at ruling the roost.

I thought Chloe had her heart set on a Whippet? :rofl:

ETA: A NSDTR from the right lines might be another possibility.

Edited by poodlefan

No offence to you, kat99, but if an aussie is too big (and I think the OP said it was), then a belgian will definitely be too big.

If you get a belgian, please do get an adult so you know what it will be like. Some belgians are probably sweet and calm and suitable for children to own - but some are boisterous, predatory, can drag a grown man down the street, come with a supersonic bark, and are basically complete raving lunatics (I love my dog, honest I do!) :provoke:

This is my concern. We were thinking of getting a pap later down the track for flyball, but you've just confirmed my fear... I think my lapphunds are too crazy to play safely with a one.

I think others have given some nice ideas particluarly corgis and swedish vals.