Fox In My Yard....

Chicken

I have had a fox hanging around the unit I live in for a few months now due to the compost bin my rear neighbour having a compost bin that it seems to be scavenging from. The last couple of weeks it has been digging under my side gate as well.

Last night Abby and Fern were outside going loo before bed and i heard Abby start scrabbling at the side gate and going mental. Brought them back inside and went out the front to check it out. Abby came with me and rushed at the gate and chased the fox off into the back unit's carport. chased it around for a minute and then came back to me when I called her. Checked her over for any cuts or bites or anything in case the fox got to her but couldn't see anything.

Should I be worried about the fox hurting my dogs?

Is there anything I can do to keep it away?

Chicken, Abby will come out better off if she gets in to it with a fox - give them advocate for a couple of months while it is around, longer if necessary. If she gets bitten it might be worth calling a vet to ask if she needs vaccinating for anything. I don't think foxes are much problems here but could be wrong.

She is a good girl for coming back when called even though she would have rather kept after the fox. When she was here the rabbit got out and she was called off him easily, Pink on the other hand took every ounce of energy to get her away and she was only 6 months old at the time.

I can imagine how excited she got when she went after it.

She was great Andisa, otherwise I wouldn't have let her come out the front with me. Came straight back to me without too much hesitation, looked back after it longingly, wanting to continue the chase!!

I was just worried about her catching something from a feral fox so checked her over. Will give them both Advocate tonight then and make sure that is kept up to date. Dogs are very rarely outside without me anymore, since Fern keeps getting out. More worried about Fern if a fox got into the yard. She would probably just lay down and stay there while it attacked her.

Must admit I dont know much about foxes.

fox's carry diseases that can be transferred to dogs without the dog coming into contact with the fox.

i have known dogs to have skin problems because they got a scratch from a twig that a fox had been scratching on.

i would be concerned and try to get rid of the fox. where there is one there may be others.

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I have known 2 standard poodles who contracted mange after coming into contact with foxes. It was easily treated but they lost a bit of coat and the concern was transmitting it to the child in the household and an elderly relative...the vet was concerned about that. Speak to your vet about preventatives and what to look for.

I have never encountered them before like this. Only ever really seen them out in big properties or things like that, not coming into a small suburban block. And I dont understand why it would be interested in getting into my yard, I have no food or water or anything there for it to be trying to get to.

Was just worried about the dogs getting something from them so thought I would ask the experts here.

I will be calling a pest controller tomorrow and seeing what they can do for me. Hard part is with all the council parkland behind me there is so much space they could be hiding. And will be speaking to the neighbour tonight about the scuffle last night and seeing if she can do anything about the compost bin.

Bites from foxes get nasty very quickly. Fox mange would be the most annoying thing - advocate is the easiet thing for that. But the bites can fester in a really short period, any actual altercations and any tooth marks no matter how small they look need a trip to the vets. I will not allow my dogs to chase foxes for that reason

My dog had been barking crazy at one point and we saw a fox on our neighbours ROOF! I was so shocked but apparently it's quite common. We called the council and informed all our neighbours about it but we haven't seen it since, not sure if the council did anything.

I called the council about getting rid of them and they referred me to the dpt of sustainability and environment who referred me back to council....

Sorry but :) Jesus didnt they just all pass the buck. What a useless runaround for you. Goodluck with the pest man today and I hope you get rid of the filthy damn fox.