Great Dane In Melb Alerts Owner To House Fire Last Night

lappiemum

From the Age online today - see http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hero-dog...0825-13qss.html

I imagine a GD wanted out would make some noise!! At least he is ok - sad for the owner's cats though.

Hero dog saves owners from fire

Thomas Hunter - August 25, 2010 - 8:03AM

Commander Colin Harris of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade said the dog, reportedly a Great Dane, was desperately clawing at a door to escape thick smoke and flames coming from the bedroom of a unit in Hodgson Street, Heidelberg, about 9.45pm.

He said the sounds made by the dog and a working smoke detector raised the alarm for the owners, who were unaware the fire was burning in a bedroom.

''All the flames were coming out of a bedroom window. Firefighters told me it was pretty savage. The flames were actually setting fire to the fence next door,'' Commander Harris told The Age.

''Firefighters found two cats in the kitchen and they were unfortunately deceased. When they got inside the house, the crew found the dog cowering in a cooler part of the house. So the dog was actually quite clever in finding that cooler spot.

''Once they made access through the front door, the dog then took off running straight through the front door, so he was very lucky.''

Commander Harris said the fire highlighted the importance of ''keeping smoke detectors in good working order and being mindful of where portable heaters are placed in relation to furniture and bedding''.

Intensive care paramedic Craig Hazelwood said he arrived to find both people were already outside the burning home.

''The woman told us that she had no idea the house was on fire until she opened a bedroom door and was confronted by a wall of smoke,'' Mr Hazelwood said.

''We assessed the pair but thankfully they had escaped any serious injury or breathing problems. They had suffered only minor smoke inhalation.

''Even my eyes were sore after standing nearby the house for a few minutes, so I imagine that they'll have sore eyes and a cough for a little while yet."

The cause of the fire, which resulted in about $100,000 damage to the home, was to be investigated today.