Chemically Castrated Or Re Home

Puppoochi

Erny: I have only watched the show broadly too. That's a good idea about emailing. I will have a more in-depth read of his website. On the surface he comes across as very assertive and dominant and recommends people to do the same without offering much more information than that. :laugh:

Nekhbet: I suggest positive methods to people because I have seen and had a lot of success with it myself. I personally have had people discuss their issues with me and explained they have tried the alpha roll, spray bottles those kinds of things and ended up with more issues. I think if somebody who knows nothing about training and is yet to consult a professional, should only use positive techniques because making a mistake isn't a big deal.

Erny: I have only watched the show broadly too. That's a good idea about emailing. I will have a more in-depth read of his website. On the surface he comes across as very assertive and dominant and recommends people to do the same without offering much more information than that. :laugh:

Hey!! "Assertive" is good :laugh:. Nothing wrong with "assertive". Combine it with "calm" and as a persona it is a good recipe for that sense of leadership for dogs to pick up on. Even "dominant" - but that depends on your interpretation. See, I see neither word as meaning anything bad, bully-like, nor without having that sense of fun and lightness. I see "assertiveness" as an 'air' of someone who is confident about themselves and the world, without weaknesses in which reliability would be doubtful (speaking generally). When I have watched CM I get the distinct impression that what he's showing is that it is possible to help even what most others would consider the worst of dogs to rehabilitate, if people will seek the right help. He strongly promotes leadership and those techniques are much about not so much 'hands on' stuff - more about general day to day, minute to minute interactions - how the dog sees YOU. He has a lot of "don't try this at home" messages. So I haven't heard him "recommending people do the same" in so far as the more riske of techniques are concerned :laugh:.

Edited by Erny

Not sure how this became a thread on Cesar :laugh:

While obviously he is very talented at dealing with difficult dogs, he does do some very risky training which puts him in the firing line to be bitten. I have no doubt he is prepared to be bitten (and has been I'm sure), but most people would not be prepared to and if they were bitten the dog would be an instant PTS. I'm not entirely confident that his clients can use the same methods he does, because they are not him and do not have the same confidence, timing or understanding of dog training and behaviour. It makes more sense to me to use less confrontational methods.

To the OP, I suggest finding a behaviourist who is experienced with dealing with inter-dog and pack issues.

I see what you mean. I suppose I use words more like "confident", which he does use as well. If I've got this right, he refers to having "assertive energy".

I looked up assertive on dictionary.com and it says this:

confidently aggressive or self-assured; positive: aggressive; dogmatic

That sums up my interpretation pretty well.

I agree with little day to day things too can really help.

I see what you mean. I suppose I use words more like "confident", which he does use as well. If I've got this right, he refers to having "assertive energy".

I looked up assertive on dictionary.com and it says this:

confidently aggressive or self-assured; positive: aggressive; dogmatic

That sums up my interpretation pretty well.

I agree with little day to day things too can really help.

Perhaps I look more on the sunny side of things. From the dictionary the words "self-assured; positive;" would be my summation of what assertive means. :)

I suggest positive methods to people because I have seen and had a lot of success with it myself. I personally have had people discuss their issues with me and explained they have tried the alpha roll, spray bottles those kinds of things and ended up with more issues. I think if somebody who knows nothing about training and is yet to consult a professional, should only use positive techniques because making a mistake isn't a big deal.

with aggressive dogs or big problems any mistake IS a big deal. And you seem to think that if it doesnt come from a positive trainer it must be harmful to the animal. I dont use alpha rolls or spray bottles on dogs I train, and I'm not a positive trainer. I'm also not an idiot who will cause harm to an animal or further their problems. Once again you give advice on things you know little about yet are happy to insist on. Go Shmoo.

Your dog fights with your housemate's dog.

Your housemate doesn't want you to mate your girl for a litter.

I'll suggest a solution that doesn't involve dogs... either shed your housemate or find a new place to live.

;) not at the posters problem but at the way this forum can sometimes go all over.

Its gone from 2 dogs fighting to Ceasar Milans training methods & now to OH & moving house :D

Oh dear Poodiful :laugh:

With losing your dad recently its not a time for making decisions & losing anything else.

Wait until your head space is in a better place, seperate the dogs for now, even if it means crating & swapping or alternating rooms with them both & see how you feel in a few weeks.

So sorry to hear about your loss, Poodiful. Right now a bit of space and time would probably go a long way. This may not be a good time to make long lasting decisions.

Is there a way you could find temporary accommodation for Elvis. It wont solve the problem long term but it will give you time to grieve and to revisit the problem with a fresh approach.

Chemical castration is pretty successful in most cases. Often involving an inplant, it is pretty much painless for the dog. It does alter the behaviour, the dog will loose his sexual drive and behave more like a gentleman around the ladies. It will usually make them more placid especially when the girls are in season and their services are not required.

There are side effects the testicles can shrink, this is reversed when the inplant has worn out. Talk to your vet about there may be more options out there.

All the best with it :laugh: