Dog Run Base

crazywhips

Just wondering if Smooth River stones in the Dog Runs will help or hinder, pups and adult dogs, cat like feet. I would hate to lay the stones only to discover all my dogs getting splayed toes. (Show dogs) or will it help keep their feet cat like. What do people think?? :laugh:

I have gravel runs and no issues at all with my dogs feet. I did find however that they kicked it up quite a lot and even with a foot of gravel were ending up dirty. I have put paving stones under the gravel which has for the main part fixed that

I have no idea but I am interested.

I would assume that the fact the floor is not smooth would actually be beneficial in working the ligaments and tendons and keeping their feet catlike.

That was my first thought too, But then again because the feet would have to seperate for stone to go under foot????? I just don't know.

I use crusher dust over a product called 'bodpave' which is a grass/gravel paver (looks like honeycomb). I like this setup as it is free-draining, the dogs can't dig it up and it provides a 'softer' surface than cement. The crusher dust is smaller than stones so less problems if you have dogs who like to play with or eat them. Surface can be easily cleaned, topped up and raked over with the back of a metal rake. The crusher dust is also very economical (though the bodpave is not exactly cheap!) If you put a thicker layer on top it provides more of a workout for feet (no worry about splaying - in fact the opposite). Downside is that it can get a bit dusty in a dry hot summer and can dry coats a bit on longer coated dogs. If you damp it down/hose regularly in dry weather this is not an issue. Also if you feed dogs in their runs and have dogs that like to take their food out of their dishes etc (eg when you feed things like chicken carcasses etc) the gravel tends to stick to it and get ingested - as a result these things are better fed in another area/on a different surface.