Neighbour's Dog Barking At My Puppy

whiskedaway

My neighbour's girlfriend comes around every second weekend, and with her she brings her eight year old SWF, Casey. Every time he comes over and Akira is at her water bowl or near her kennel (which is next to the fence on their side), Casey starts sniffing the fence line. As soon as Akira puts her nose down to sniff him back, he starts growling and barking and that of course gets Akira started. We normally take Akira away when she starts barking, but because she knows he's there she often goes back to the fence line later and the whole thing starts again.

The neighbours know that Casey is the one that starts it so they have no problems with Akira barking in reply, but I'd prefer it to not happen at all. Any advice or suggestions? After all, it is HER home, not his.

Edited by whiskedaway

Our houses are actually attached, so the kennel is actually right next to our house, it's just also up against the fence between the two properties. It's the best spot for it because it doesn't get wet there and it's not in the way.

I also don't think moving the kennel will stop Akira from going over to the fence when Casey is there anyway.

If the dog was a permanent resident then they would just get used to each other and it probly wouldn't be a bother. Are you friends with the neighbour? Is it possible for the dogs to have a couple of play dates to get to know each other, this may aleviate the problem. Or just keep Akira away from that part of the yard when you know the dog is there.

Yeah, we are friendly with the neighbours. They're both older, and he often checks on Akira for us during the day when we're not home. She and Casey have met each other a couple of times, but she's a lot bigger than Casey and he gets a little nippy.

I might just try and keep her away from that area.

• 4 months later...

Just resurrecting this old thread for some more advice.

Still having problems with the SWF next door. He's still only there one weekend a fortnight (this is the weekend he's here) and I think it must be that she's growing up (she's now 10 months old, and was 6 months at the time of posting the thread), but she's stopped barking back at Casey. We've moved the kennel to the opposite fence line (turns out it doesn't get wet there either) and the barbeque is now where the kennel used to be. However, the instant Akira goes anywhere near the fence, Casey launches himself at it aggressively and starts barking and growling at her. She of course thinks it's a game and races up and down the fenceline, making no noise but getting him going. I have to bring her inside to get him to stop barking because the owners won't bring him in.

We've had them meet up a couple of times, but I've found that Casey is extremely fear aggressive (not sure I blame him for being afraid, she's a lot bigger and has typical Husky exuberance) and Akira is now unable to play nicely with any other SWF because I think she's afraid as well and tries to dominate the dog before it can do the same thing as Casey does.

Any other ideas of what I can do to get this to stop? Do I just have to lock her inside the whole time he's here? I thought about putting up the puppy pen to block off the fence from her reach, but she easily jumps over it. And how do I get her to play nicely with SWF dogs now?

Edited by whiskedaway

I had the same problem with my next-door neighbors dog and mine throwing themselves at the fence. I ended up buying chicken wire from bunnings and star pickets and made an inside fence about 1 metre inside the barrier fence. Not had any issues since.

Lend the puppy pen to the neighbour for the swf. They wouldn't need to let him inside and he could be kept away from your fenceline??

Unfortunately I need my puppy pen. I have a lappie pup joining us soon and the puppy pen is to keep her in when I can't watch her.

Might think about building another fence. My yard isn't very wide though so it'd cut the size down immensely, though I suppose it's only temporary and for one weekend a fortnight.

You can't control how your neighbours keep their animals, all you can do is work with your own animals, which you have done.

I would tell the neighbour that they need to stop their dog barking at your fence. If it is excessive and disturbing you or your dogs, council could be called in to take action.

You do not want to bring home a new pup and leave it in your yard if there is a chance that this other dog could upset your new dog.

Don't take your dogs near this other dog again. It is aggressive. If it was just fearful, it would probably keep away from the fence and your dogs.

I would do everything possible to isolate my dog from this little dog. Its behaviour has probably contributed to your own dog's unacceptable behaviour.

Could you improve the fence between the properties?

You can't control how your neighbours keep their animals, all you can do is work with your own animals, which you have done.

I would tell the neighbour that they need to stop their dog barking at your fence. If it is excessive and disturbing you or your dogs, council could be called in to take action.

You do not want to bring home a new pup and leave it in your yard if there is a chance that this other dog could upset your new dog.

Don't take your dogs near this other dog again. It is aggressive. If it was just fearful, it would probably keep away from the fence and your dogs.

I would do everything possible to isolate my dog from this little dog. Its behaviour has probably contributed to your own dog's unacceptable behaviour.

Could you improve the fence between the properties?

The fence is actually 7 foot high (having a Husky, it needs to be high!) and goes down two inches below the pavers, so it's actually a fairly good fence. It unfortunately just that we're close together. Thankfully we are always home when this dog is here due to the fact that he's only here on the weekend, and Halo's puppy pen is being set up inside when we're not home, or on the grassed area which is the opposite side of the yard.

I haven't let Akira near him since they met the last time (they've only met twice, the first time was through the pool fence that keeps Akira from getting out of the yard when the roller-door is up and he only barked at her, the second time was in the same yard and when he snapped at her) and I said to the OH that I never wanted him near my dogs again. And yes, I am certain that it's the issue with Casey that's causing issues with other dogs of similar breed.

I think we'll organise some temp fencing so that Akira can't go near the side fence when he's at their house, and if I need to keep my girls inside when he's over I'll just have to do that. I don't want to get on my neighbour's bad side because of the fact that we have a new puppy coming that they'll have to put up with some noise from at times (which they've already said is fine).

Might think about building another fence. My yard isn't very wide though so it'd cut the size down immensely, though I suppose it's only temporary and for one weekend a fortnight.

We had the same problem with a neighbouring dog that would have a go at our lot when the owner was putting washing on the line. We got hold of some sheets of concrete reo wire (the stuff they lay down before pouring a concrete pad) and cut it into rectangle panels approx 80 cm high and 1.4 metres long. We cut the bottom horizontal wire off the panel to leave prongs which act to secure the panel in the ground. We hammer each panel into the ground which makes it free standing (no star pickets required) and then secure each panel to the next with a cable tie. This makes the whole unit quite strong.

We've found that because the dogs can see through it, they don't try to dig under or climb over. It would take just minutes to install each fortnight and they stack away easily afterwards. Not affected by rain or UV, very cheap to make, versatile because you can add more if needed. We also use them to fence off garden beds and to restrict access from a part of the lawn when it needs time to recover without traffic. The maximum impact it has on the ground are tiny holes from the prongs and that serves to aerate the grass anyway. Each time you dismantle it, just cut the cable tie or unzip it if you can, otherwise all it will cost you is a few cable ties each time you put it up. We use the 380mm x 7.6 mm cable ties because although you do cut off alot of the tail, the zip is far strong than the ones on shorter and thinner ties. Cost us $6 for a pack of 100.

It's a lot less hassle than chicken wire and pickets and looks better too. For those with puppies or smaller breeds (we have GSDs), the wire sheets are available in smaller square sizes too. If you go to a building site just after they've laid the pad, you may even get whole sheets or offcuts for free. We paid $40 for a sheet and have been able to cut 8 panels from it. If you don't cut off the bottom strand to expose the prongs, you can turn one panel into a gate. Just secure it to the fence panel with 3 cable ties which act as a hinge. Then use a bit of rope, a clip from a keyring or whatever works to act as a lock on the other side - voila, instant gate.

Since we've installed the reo panels, the dogs can no longer get right up close to the fence and their reaction to the yapping on the other side is now almost nil.

post-37151-1295075512_thumb.jpg

post-37151-1295075536_thumb.jpg

post-37151-1295075551_thumb.jpg