Breed Risk Prevention System

shortstep

Book vets can use to educate owners on the genetic diseases and vet care their breed of dog will need.

This web site shows the book and video on how it can be used by the vet.

http://www.breedriskprevention.com/

Here is an example

Pembroke Welsh Corgi

TESTS/RECOMMENDATIONS:

4 months of age - Genetic testing for Degenerative Myelopathy & von Willebrand disease - Ophthalmic Eye Exam – Retinal Dysplasia

6 months of age - Blood test prior to OVH or Castration - for Blood Clotting tests & Thyroid test - for von Willebrand Disease - recheck yearly

- Urine Nitroprusside Test – for Cystinuria elimination testing

1 year of age - Eye exam – Progressive Retinal Atrophy - recheck yearly

- Urine testing (if Nitroprusside test was not run)– Cystinuria– recheck every 6 mo.

- Blood tests for von Willebrand Disease (unless genetic testing was done) recheck yearly

3 years of age - Teeth Cleaning & Dental X-ray – Repeat every 2-3 years

- Eye Pressure testing for Glaucoma – Recheck yearly

- Eye exam – Progressive Retinal Atrophy

4 years of age - Blood tests for von Willebrand Disease

- Eye Pressure testing for Glaucoma

5 years of age - X-rays - of neck and back for Intervertebral Disc Disease - repeat at 8 & 11 years old - Eye Pressure testing for Glaucoma

6 years of age - Teeth Cleaning & Dental X-ray – Repeat every 2-3 years

- Eye exam – Cataracts & Progressive Retinal Atrophy

7 years of age - Eye Pressure testing for Glaucoma

8 years of age - X-rays - of neck and back for Intervertebral Disc Disease - repeat at 11 years old

- Teeth Cleaning & Dental X-ray – Repeat every 2-3 years

UK Kennel Club may also be creating a like system.

'At the same meeting it was announced that the KC has compiled a ‘veterinary manual’ containing information about health tests for each breed, the KC’s work and the Accredited Breeder Scheme.

Health and breeder manager Bill Lambert said the key objective of the manual was to provide a source of information which will help breeders and vets.

It will tell veterinary practices about the services the KC offers, he said, and promote the Accredited Breeder Scheme and the KC in general.

The manual will be delivered to 200 veterinary practices, probably by accredited breeder advisers. After that, copies will be delivered to surgeries as requested on an ad-hoc basis.

There will also be an online resource and a CD format which would be updated periodically.'

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/News/33-Front-Cover

Edited by shortstep

They can't be serious.

Why not?

Everyone is going to cash in on genetic disease in dogs. Your local vet, all the uni careers built on dog research, politicians winning votes, general medical labs and DNA labs (just think how much money they will make when all parents have to be DNA ID'd), even the kennel clubs with schemes like Accredited Breeders, mandatory training/testing of breeders, all adds up to more and more fees collected. Insurance and the associated EBV coming down the path...LOL

It's a huge cash cow. We have only seen the tip of the iceberg.

Makes me think of the Walrus and Carpenter and the dogs are the oysters!

"O Oysters," said the Carpenter, "You've had a pleasant run! Shall we be trotting home again?'

'But answer came there none....And this was scarcely odd, because they'd eaten every one!'

BTW it is not a very good book. They forgot HD and ED. Pems have almost a 20% rate of HD, just think of all the xrays, PENN and sugeries they missed ...LOL

Edited by shortstep

I'd like to know what the Corgi breeders think of this and if they consider it to be overkill ? It's not my breed but I am concerned about the number of GA's or heavy sedations that would be required during a dogs lifetime to carry out all of these x-rays.

I know I wouldn't be subjecting any 11 year old dog of mine to a GA.

Just looking at that and going off current prices here, I would expect that testing would come to around $3000 per animal and that's without travel, time off work or price rises.

Would the $ spent and all of those tests be of any benefit to the breed ?

Book vets can use to educate owners on the genetic diseases and vet care their breed of dog will need.

This web site shows the book and video on how it can be used by the vet.

http://www.breedriskprevention.com/

Here is an example

Pembroke Welsh Corgi

TESTS/RECOMMENDATIONS:

4 months of age - Genetic testing for Degenerative Myelopathy & von Willebrand disease - Ophthalmic Eye Exam – Retinal Dysplasia

6 months of age - Blood test prior to OVH or Castration - for Blood Clotting tests & Thyroid test - for von Willebrand Disease - recheck yearly

- Urine Nitroprusside Test – for Cystinuria elimination testing

1 year of age - Eye exam – Progressive Retinal Atrophy - recheck yearly

- Urine testing (if Nitroprusside test was not run)– Cystinuria– recheck every 6 mo.

- Blood tests for von Willebrand Disease (unless genetic testing was done) recheck yearly

3 years of age - Teeth Cleaning & Dental X-ray – Repeat every 2-3 years

- Eye Pressure testing for Glaucoma – Recheck yearly

4 years of age - Blood tests for von Willebrand Disease

5 years of age - X-rays - of neck and back for Intervertebral Disc Disease - repeat at 8 & 11 years old - Eye Pressure testing for Glaucoma

6 years of age - Teeth Cleaning & Dental X-ray – Repeat every 2-3 years

7 years of age - Eye Pressure testing for Glaucoma

8 years of age - X-rays - of neck and back for Intervertebral Disc Disease - repeat at 11 years old

- Teeth Cleaning & Dental X-ray – Repeat every 2-3 years

'At the same meeting it was announced that the KC has compiled a ‘veterinary manual’ containing information about health tests for each breed, the KC’s work and the Accredited Breeder Scheme.

Health and breeder manager Bill Lambert said the key objective of the manual was to provide a source of information which will help breeders and vets.

It will tell veterinary practices about the services the KC offers, he said, and promote the Accredited Breeder Scheme and the KC in general.

The manual will be delivered to 200 veterinary practices, probably by accredited breeder advisers. After that, copies will be delivered to surgeries as requested on an ad-hoc basis.

There will also be an online resource and a CD format which would be updated periodically.'

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/News/33-Front-Cover

Can someone do me a costing on all of the above please?

I will then phone my favourite corgi breeder and tell them to factor it into the price of the pups bred from the fully tested bitch and stud dog.

At the end of the day this is what it will come to, the testing of breeding stock to this extent has got to be paid for by somebody. In every industry I can think of, costs like these get passed on to the buyer.

Souff

I'd like to know what the Corgi breeders think of this and if they consider it to be overkill ? It's not my breed but I am concerned about the number of GA's or heavy sedations that would be required during a dogs lifetime to carry out all of these x-rays.

Just looking at that and going off current prices here, I would expect that testing would come to around $3000 per animal and that's without travel, time off work or price rises.

Would the $ spent and all of those tests be of any benefit to the breed ?

Benefit the breed? Not sure what that has to do with anything...LOL

Look at the post about research (from Syd Uni) on the brains in pug faced breeds. Think that is going to be used to help breed better pug faced breeds? I think it is going to be used to put more nails in the coffin of all pug faced breeds and give everyone involved in the process a pay check.

Just read this on the website mentioned:

"It is a practice builder! Results from three veterinarians that are using the system, are reporting projected increases in revenue of $67,000, $85,000, and $125,000 over the next year.

Mark Anderson DVM, Escondido, Ca.

Sheesh, they aint even $ubtle!!!

Souff

"It is a practice builder! Results from three veterinarians that are using the system, are reporting projected increases in revenue of $67,000, $85,000, and $125,000 over the next year.

Wow, it is hard to explain just how angry this makes me.

x2

eta - Could something like this be handy to have to deter people from either BYB, to show the potential costs involved, or from buying from a pet shop/puppy farm, so show them the sort of testing many Reg breeders do ad all the possible things their DD could have?

Edited by stormie

It's not my breed but I am concerned about the number of GA's or heavy sedations that would be required during a dogs lifetime to carry out all of these x-rays.

Me too. Some of those tests make sense (especially in a dog to be used for breeding), but some seem like definite overkill to me.

Why do a dental x-ray at all, if the teeth look squeaky clean?

Why recheck yearly for von Willebrands, unless you're about to do surgery on the dog?

Why x-ray yearly for intervertebral disease, if the dog's showing no clinical signs?

It's not my breed but I am concerned about the number of GA's or heavy sedations that would be required during a dogs lifetime to carry out all of these x-rays.

Me too. Some of those tests make sense (especially in a dog to be used for breeding), but some seem like definite overkill to me.

Why do a dental x-ray at all, if the teeth look squeaky clean?

Why recheck yearly for von Willebrands, unless you're about to do surgery on the dog?

Why x-ray yearly for intervertebral disease, if the dog's showing no clinical signs?

For the benefit of anyone who is not familiar with Von Willebrands disease, it is an inherited condition where the animal can be more simply described as "a bleeder" - that is, a haemophiliac.

As I understand it, an animal or a person who is a haemophiliac is a haemophiliac from birth to death.

They bleed profusely and their blood does not clot easily. It is a serious condition if the animal or person is facing any surgery, or has an accident where a vein is cut.

As I understand it, clotting agents need to be given and the INR (clotting) levels monitored carefully.

Doctors and dentists and veterinarians are treating bleeders every other week for other conditions and their records are marked with big red stickers and the necessary precautions are taken.

As I understand it, an animal or a person that/who has been diagnosed with this condition, HAS IT FOR LIFE, therefore one diagnostic test is all that is required.

So, if a vet suggested to me that diagnostic tests for the same condition needed to be repeated as the animal matures then I would be taking my business elsewhere.

Souff

As I understand it, an animal or a person that/who has been diagnosed with this condition, HAS IT FOR LIFE, therefore one diagnostic test is all that is required.

So, if a vet suggested to me that diagnostic tests for the same condition needed to be repeated as the animal matures then I would be taking my business elsewhere.

Souff

Yes sorry Souff, I worded that badly. The amount of vWF in your system may vary from day to day for many reasons (whether or not you have vWF disease), but as you say, if you've got congenital vWF disease, you've always got it.

The lab we use here like you to send more than one sample when testing for vWF disease, due to the variation in vWF in the system from day to day, but they certainly do not require yearly tests throughout the dog's life.

If the dog is borderline vWF, then some vets will do a buccal mucosal bleeding time test before every surgery to see if the dog is likely to need medications for the vWF disease on this occasion, but that's different to testing every year whether or not the dog needed surgery.

I don't know much about the genetic test - I don't even know if we can get it over here.

Hope that makes more sense.

Breeders will of course have to pass the extra expense of paying for all the associated testing of their breeding stock along to our puppy buyers who will have to take out a loan in order to buy a puppy!!

x2

eta - Could something like this be handy to have to deter people from either BYB, to show the potential costs involved, or from buying from a pet shop/puppy farm, so show them the sort of testing many Reg breeders do ad all the possible things their DD could have?

Gawd. Imagine (which isn't hard to do with stuff like this) the costs that would have to be passed down to the puppy purchaser. As the poster above said, they'd have to take out a personal loan to buy a PET.

There is now ay I would knock out a dog every 3 years or so for a dental xray and teeth clean unless warrented. I have only every had to have one dog have his teeth cleaned, they were not that bad but he had a GA for another reason so we did it. He now could do with two teeth being removed due to them being broken, but with his heart and age it would kill him.

vWD is a disease for life there is absolutely no need for yearly blood tests, not to mention when I had it done many mnay years ago it was $110 for one test. I didn't get the second one as it was almost non -existant so I knew he wasn't going to improve enough not to be unaffected.

I have no idea about glaucoma so I am not sure if any of the eye things are over kill, but heavily sedating a dog at 11 years of age for routine xrays is just stupidity to me. If the dog has an issue - fine, but no just for the sake of it.

This is purely a money making exercise and the welfar of the animal is not at the forefront of these peoples mind. If it was this list wouldn't be so ridiculous. Lining their pockets is at the forefront of the minds. Disgusting.

I hope they do some thinking, prior to doing so.

The ailments & conditions mentioned in the Corgi health prevention saga are not confined to Corgis. Anyone notice that other breeds, & dare I say it, mixed breeds, also have teeth & eyes...and, therefore, are vulnerable to associated problems.

Maybe, one day, they'll breed a dog that has no body parts at all & no genes. :laugh: