Good Quality Cheap Weight Loss Kibble

MooBoo

We have been trying to get weight off Bella since her knee op for her cruciate which also showed severe arthritis. It has been very slow going. She has a thyroid problem too which we have just started her on medication. (We are waiting on results of blood test to see if meds are working.)

In the last 2 weeks though she has put on nearly 2kgs, with no difference to her diet. She is currently 58kg, vet would like to get her down to low 50's prefer 50kg. She is now to be fed dry only, calorie restricted.

So we are looking for suggestions as to the best quality, for the cheapest price. Vet only sell eukanuba, so I have a small bag of that to start with.

She was currently on 1/2 dry and 1/2 meat. She is walked daily,only to her own limitations.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

I've always found it easier to get weight off dogs by not feeding any dry food. I've had several porkers come for a visit and go home much slimmer after dieting on one or two chicken necks and veggies. Obviously mine are a lot smaller! :laugh:

rice and veges with a chicken carcass, skin trimmed off. Costs you next to nothing and I peel weight off all my dogs like this without them being hungry. Add some bran to help stop them getting constipated.

She was on 1 cup dry mixed with about 300g of meat as in mince, chicken (cooked, will not touch raw) or heart.

I want to give vet recommendation a try for a while, as he has let me try it my way - that is feeding her less. I know she has been hungry as she is constantly scrounging for any dry that has dropped on the ground.

I've tried filling with carrot and pumpkin and she wont touch it.

Thanks for the tips though.

Just so you know, the Euk Restricted Calorie food has been recalled so you shouldn't be feeding that. The bag you bought should be disposed of and Euk called to get a refund :laugh:

The Euk food does have low fat, but another concept behind it is that the kibble pieces are 'fluffed' up, looking bigger, thus making owners feel like they are still feeding a substantial amount, but really, there's just a lot of air in the pieces.

I'd just be feeding a regular diet, but just less of it and maybe feeding some lean meat like roo for variety. Seeing your dog hungry all the time when you're not used to it is hard, but IMO, a healthy dog is one who will be willing to accept food all the time. If a dog is turning down food and isn't hungry, it's being fed too much. But that's just my opinion :laugh:

Just so you know, the Euk Restricted Calorie food has been recalled so you shouldn't be feeding that. The bag you bought should be disposed of and Euk called to get a refund :laugh:

The Euk food does have low fat, but another concept behind it is that the kibble pieces are 'fluffed' up, looking bigger, thus making owners feel like they are still feeding a substantial amount, but really, there's just a lot of air in the pieces.

Not the restricted calorie, it is the light one. I did find that the pieces did feel full of air, almost like a puff cereal. Bell scoffed the lot of it which was a good sign.

I might finish the bag off, only got the small one, then re evaluate.

Thanks again for the advice.

Not the restricted calorie, it is the light one. I did find that the pieces did feel full of air, almost like a puff cereal. Bell scoffed the lot of it which was a good sign.

I might finish the bag off, only got the small one, then re evaluate.

Thanks again for the advice.

Ah right. I don't know that the Light follows the same 'fluffed' concept but maybe it does.

The light one isn't really that low in fat. They have another one called 'Custom Care - Weight Loss' which our rep told us has the same fat level as the restricted cal.

The Large breed Light is still 9% fat, where as their restricted Cal and Weight Loss is only about 6%.

If you want to get weight off, Light is going to take a lot longer and you'd be better off going for one of the hard core prescription weight loss diets.

Check out the Artemis Weight Loss Management dry food. It's the only weight loss kibble I know that still has meat as the first ingredient, well in this case still the first 4, but still only 6% fat.

http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/d/WMA30/...-food---13.6kg/

Will check it out, thanks.

Supacoat has a light one out - my dogs are going well on it.

That's what I had her on when I was doing it my way.

I highly reccomend Hills R/D ..... My cat was 10kg and is now 6 kg being fed 1/4C morning and Night... NOTHING ELSE. Obviously you would need Hills R/D Canine not Feline ;)

here is a before and after pic of my CAT

LinkBeforeandafterHillsRD-1.jpg

I looked at this one online, will see if I can get a small bag somewhere close.

Thanks

R/d is good - your local vet clinic should be able to order it in. You can't purchase it at pet shops as it is a prescription diet from vets only.

Normally you don't need to take the dog into the vets to get R/d, just tell them you are after something for weight reduction and they should be able to get you some.

Eukanuba also have a similar version which they just call their weight loss diet... it's very similar in make up and is able to be purchased at pet shops that stock it.

I'm the same as Gretel - found dry food generally pretty disasterous for getting the weight off porky westies. But must confess I generally don't like dry food full stop.

So having said that, I fed barf patties (according to weight of the dog then a bit less) and then bulk up with veggies - and the weight fell off. Gretel is right - if they are hungry they'll eat it. I accept no nonsense from my guys - they eat what is put in front of them or go hungry. If they haven't eaten it in five minutes take it away and try again later - they soon get the messsage :laugh:

I maintain their weight well with a combined raw/prey diet.

Hoep that helps

I have used Bonnie Light (about $40 for a 20kg bag so it lasts forever) with great success, along with cooked pumpkin (and I didn't skimp on the pumpkin) - was great for getting weight off a dog before and after his cruciate knees were done.

Veges are good as they have little calorific value for a dog, but they are filling (eg cooked pumpkin) so the dog doesn't feel like he is being starved.

Also, don't feed what the packet says - probably half that, and the rest should be some veg.

Thanks for all the advice.

Got results for Bells blood test and she is now on a higher dose of meds for her thyroid, so hopefully that plus the modified diet will help. Going back in 2 weeks for her cartrophen injection so we will see how much she has lost then.

I have had great success with Coprice Light (20kg about $30) with my old cattle x who was really hard to get weight off. I didn't even reduce the amount she had and she lost weight quite quickly. I had tried a lot of the more expensive brands with no success.