My Dog's Coat

giraffez

In Winter, when i put a coat on my dog, he goes crazy intially and rubs his back on the sofa and rolls around. The coat material is fleece and its nice and soft and the coat is the right size. Why does he do this? It keeps him nice and warm and he doesn't mind it after the first 10 mins of going bezerk

with my mini schanuzer i hold out the jumper and if he wants it on then he comes forward, if he doesn't he stares at me and sits where he is. it sounds like yours doesn't actually like wearing it- it is a pretty unnatural thing for them to do. perhaps just try to shedule clipping so he doesn't need one in winter? in the end of the day mine doesn't often need/want his fleece pjs on-only when he has a very short coat and it is very cold at night (we don't have heating but he has a very warm bed, so i figure he is fine), they are designed to deal with colder weather than we are...

i guess it could be that it is giving him something to use to itch his back where he can't reach, like us using a stick/ruler to itch hard to reach spots (or a pencil down my cast on my broken wrist atm!). you know, something that causes friction or whatever so that it provides a better itch than just rolling/rubbing would do?

Lots of breeds do it. :eek:

Remeber its a dog, they take a while to realise that they gain warmth from it.

The more you rug them the more they come to realise they can gain warmth from it.

Edited by oakway

thanks all

Lots of breeds do it. :laugh:

Remeber its a dog, they take a while to realise that they gain warmth from it.

The more you rug them the more they come to realise they can gain warmth from it.

haha very true.

I'm just surprise he doesn't like it because its so cold in our house. The weather is warming here so its not too much of a problem but a couple of weeks ago, he doesnt even want to move in the morning cos he is nice an warm under the layers of blanket we put out for him....