Eating Issues

cowanbree

I have a 10yr old dog who the last 6mths has been through the wars, bowel obstruction, peritonitis, and then esophageal issues which mean he will never eat a normal meal again; they all have to be blended. He has never been an overly food motivated dog but lately it is very difficult to get him to eat. He doesn’t want that mush but unfortunately there is no other option.

He has been extensively health tested from scans to bloods etc and my vet has confirmed there is nothing wrong with him. I have tried just about every combination of food I can and nothing other than blended mutton motivates him for long. He can’t live on mutton alone and no doubt will get sick of this soon too so I was thinking an appetite stimulant. Can anyone recommend something suitable?

Garlic is a great appetite stimulant for dogs, but don't over do it. One small clove each day is more than enough for a large dog.

Have you tried tuna or adding a small amount of fish oil? Even try blending a little of the water that the canned tuna has been into the food.

I would even try lightly cooking up some mince, the smell alone seems to have most dogs salivating.

Try lightly warming up the food, as this increases all the yummy smells. When dogs get older, their sense of smell isn't as good any more and if the food doesn't smell appetizing, they're more reluctant to eat.

Roast chicken and chicken broth also works wonders.

May I also suggest massage and acupuncture as a natural way to help look after an older dog. There are many acupuncture points that can be used to increase appetite.

Hope this helps

I have a 10yr old dog who the last 6mths has been through the wars, bowel obstruction, peritonitis, and then esophageal issues which mean he will never eat a normal meal again; they all have to be blended. He has never been an overly food motivated dog but lately it is very difficult to get him to eat. He doesn't want that mush but unfortunately there is no other option.

He has been extensively health tested from scans to bloods etc and my vet has confirmed there is nothing wrong with him. I have tried just about every combination of food I can and nothing other than blended mutton motivates him for long. He can't live on mutton alone and no doubt will get sick of this soon too so I was thinking an appetite stimulant. Can anyone recommend something suitable?

Hell how very frustrating.I would have suggested all PP"s suggestions.How about minced chicken with parmeson cheese heated,I also use Nutrigel as supplement & stimulant,most likely take it from your hand.

Where are all the good vets gone,that should & could make some useful suggestions. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone, the tuna was a hit and if I add that to some of his other meals he is eating most of them so I am really pleased. His appetite still isn’t great but at least he is eating something. Also found the smoked chicken in a can in the same place and he really likes that even blended.