Teaching A Dog To Eat Things On Command

I'm not sure why you just don't put the dogs pills down its' throat, loads of pills don't taste nice so expecting the dog to eat something it doesn't like on command isn't doing anything beneficial to your relationship i.m.o.

I can only think you've misunderstood, Sas. My boy takes the tablets the same way as anyone who puts the tablets down their dog's throat - difference being that I don't have to force, he opens his mouth for me and comes running to me for the purpose. Gotta be better for the relationship than NOT training for it and using force to put the pills there in the first place, particularly if the administration of medication to the dog is long-term and frequent. And even if the latter doesn't compromise the relationship, the former is a darn sight easier all round.

Where, in the description of what anyone (myself? Staranais?) has posted here could you possibly get the idea that the dog's relationship with owner is or would be compromised?

I wasn't actually addressing it to you, I was responding to the OP. It's my opinion, you don't have to agree with it :champagne:

I think you've interpreted something as if I attacked you. I stated i.m.o in my response. My opinion isn't nececssarily right or wrong - it's an opinion.

My opinion was based around meds that don't taste nice such as Anti-biotics and many powder coated tablets. Fish Oils, EPO a different story.

I don't force pills down dogs throats and I have a dog I medicate daily. I put pills in food or in the corner of the mouth with a technique that they swallow straight away so there is no forcing.

I'm not sure why you chose to give attitude in your last paragraph, it really wasn't neccessary - maybe I didn't valiadate your experience as a trainer, I apologise if that's why you felt attacked however as stated I wasn't replying to you.

Edited by sas

I'm not sure why you just don't put the dogs pills down its' throat, loads of pills don't taste nice so expecting the dog to eat something it doesn't like on command isn't doing anything beneficial to your relationship i.m.o.

I can only think you've misunderstood, Sas. My boy takes the tablets the same way as anyone who puts the tablets down their dog's throat - difference being that I don't have to force, he opens his mouth for me and comes running to me for the purpose. Gotta be better for the relationship than NOT training for it and using force to put the pills there in the first place, particularly if the administration of medication to the dog is long-term and frequent. And even if the latter doesn't compromise the relationship, the former is a darn sight easier all round.

Where, in the description of what anyone (myself? Staranais?) has posted here could you possibly get the idea that the dog's relationship with owner is or would be compromised?

I wasn't actually addressing it to you, I was responding to the OP. It's my opinion, you don't have to agree with it :champagne:

I think you've interpreted something as if I attacked you. I stated i.m.o in my response. My opinion isn't nececssarily right or wrong - it's an opinion.

My opinion was based around meds that don't taste nice such as Anti-biotics and many powder coated tablets. Fish Oils, EPO a different story.

I don't force pills down dogs throats and I have a dog I medicate daily. I put pills in food or in the corner of the mouth with a technique that they swallow straight away so there is no forcing.

I'm not sure why you chose to give attitude in your last paragraph, it really wasn't neccessary - maybe I didn't valiadate your experience as a trainer, I apologise if that's why you felt attacked however as stated I wasn't replying to you.

I couldn't tell from your previous post whether you were addressing myself or the OP.

I don't read any attitude into my response, even on a re-read.

I know it's you're opinion :champagne:.

I didn't feel "attacked" .... until your post above.

But can't say the same for your response above, Sas. I don't think it was warranted. What's the problem?

Edited by Erny

You can buy it from most health food shops and your oil can be bought in bulk too. Have a look at http://bigdogpetfoods.com/ they sell a really good greyhound racing oil called "Frontrunner". It has Omega 3,6 and 9 and Vit E. Again, you just splash it on your dog food rather than trying to ram a pill down your dogs thoat. I think the website is down at the moment but check back soon.

Hmmm thanks, I'll investigate & see if we can get it over here, & if so if it's any more expensive than the the human version that she's currently on. Not keen to order it from Oz, that might be a little pricey. :champagne:

Don't you live in the Green Lipped Mussel Capital of the world? :champagne: A dried GLM for a dog :champagne:

My BC has a sensitive tummy but doesn't react to glucosamine. I have him on a BARF diet with fish oil and Sasha's blend or Joint Guard. Slippery Elm is good for gut problems.

I have taught all my dogs to take tablets in treats from puppyhood. I rattle the pill bottle and give a soft treat. Rinse and repeat many many times and then when they are keen and anticipating the treats you add a vitamin pill or fish oil. They are so used to gobbling up the treat that the pill just gets swallowed along with it.

It's glucosamine, MSM, and fish oil, Erny - pretty much indefinitely. She's coming right, I think. It's taking a little while but we're hanging in there! I think she'll always have a slightly wonky gait, but the limp appears to be (touch wood!) gone. She will hopefully be well enough to work again soon.

Ahhhh. Good luck, Staranais. I hope it does the trick to keep her right - I know you well enough to know that she'll not go a wanting for anything that would help her. I will be putting my boy on glucosamine soon too, for his spondylosis. I'm only holding off because I wanted to introduce his new meds one at a time and try to get his digestive system working better first.

I'm not sure of the affects (if any) by glucosamine on a sensitive tummy. Do you?

I'm not sure of the affects (if any) by glucosamine on a sensitive tummy. Do you?

Theoretically, I think there shouldn't be any, and I've never heard of any, but your Mandela seems to obey medical laws of his very own sometimes, doesn't he? :laugh: So probably a good idea to introduce his new meds one by one. I didn't know he had spondyosis too, though?

Staff'n'toller - good idea, when I graduate! I'm not sure if whole green lipped mussels are within my budget right now. :cry: I might have a hunt about for the powder though, that's a good idea. Between her pentosan, her glucosamine, her fish, her E, and now her mussel, the poor girl is going to rattle when she walks.

Bedazzled, that's a very cunning idea. I was just working on the doggy zen-type principle of "see this amazing treat that you really really want? Well, you can have it if you eat this other thingy first". Your way sounds faster, though.

We use http://www.paw4pets.com/joint-care.html apparently some dogs will eat these capsules as they are because they can smell the GLM through the coating. I haven't found that yet though. :cry:

I'm not sure how easy it is for you to source or how much it would cost of course, but it's fairly cost effective here.

We have seen NSAID type reactions mostly from sashas, they seem to get a bit of diarrhoea, go off their food and are generally lethargic. I don't think we've had any reports from Joint Guard causing adverse reactions yet.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Not as elegant as shaping but it gets the job done! :rofl:

Theoretically, I think there shouldn't be any, and I've never heard of any, but your Mandela seems to obey medical laws of his very own sometimes, doesn't he? :( So probably a good idea to introduce his new meds one by one. I didn't know he had spondyosis too, though?

Staff'n'toller - good idea, when I graduate! I'm not sure if whole green lipped mussels are within my budget right now. :laugh: I might have a hunt about for the powder though, that's a good idea. Between her pentosan, her glucosamine, her fish, her E, and now her mussel, the poor girl is going to rattle when she walks.

Bedazzled, that's a very cunning idea. I was just working on the doggy zen-type principle of "see this amazing treat that you really really want? Well, you can have it if you eat this other thingy first". Your way sounds faster, though.