Would You Accept A Foreign House Sitter?

Elina

I just found out this amazing system you have in Australia - house sitting! I haven't heard it before but unintentionally came into those pages. I am coming to Australia in October for at least six months and have spend hours after hours by searching all kind of information of your country. Because there are registering fees to those housesitting pages I would like to ask before paying anything to those companies wether anyone would take a foreign housesitter? Seems like most house owners would like to find elder persons who are retired and i am not either.

Me (27 years old) and my boyfriend (30) are from Finland. We have resigned from our current jobs (project manager and trucker) and after two weeks we start our travel round the world. We have two Border Collies which are NOT travelling with us. They both compete in obedience trials. I previously had an own dog training company and organized dog seminars. We both love animals, especially dogs. Since our own dogs stays in Finland while we travel abroad, we would love to look after other dogs to relieve homesickness even a bit. I have used to do long bush walks daily and watch telly while scratching dogs bellies :confused: Since we are quite old working holiday travellers we are not party persons but very reliable people who respect others property. We wouldn't be working while minding house and animals, so there would be lot of time for pets. We have international police clearances but no recommendations since we haven't done house sitting before. So is it total waste of money to register in to house sitting sites because we are foreigners?

I just found out this amazing system you have in Australia - house sitting! I haven't heard it before but unintentionally came into those pages. I am coming to Australia in October for at least six months and have spend hours after hours by searching all kind of information of your country. Because there are registering fees to those housesitting pages I would like to ask before paying anything to those companies wether anyone would take a foreign housesitter? Seems like most house owners would like to find elder persons who are retired and i am not either.

Me (27 years old) and my boyfriend (30) are from Finland. We have resigned from our current jobs (project manager and trucker) and after two weeks we start our travel round the world. We have two Border Collies which are NOT travelling with us. They both compete in obedience trials. I previously had an own dog training company and organized dog seminars. We both love animals, especially dogs. Since our own dogs stays in Finland while we travel abroad, we would love to look after other dogs to relieve homesickness even a bit. I have used to do long bush walks daily and watch telly while scratching dogs bellies :confused: Since we are quite old working holiday travellers we are not party persons but very reliable people who respect others property. We wouldn't be working while minding house and animals, so there would be lot of time for pets. We have international police clearances but no recommendations since we haven't done house sitting before. So is it total waste of money to register in to house sitting sites because we are foreigners?

THere are people in Australia who do 'international house swap' which is a little different. I am not sure how you would go with the house sitting part, guess all you can do is register. You would be better to ask this question on a house sitting forum (if there is one) as you will get a lot more information.

Wishing you all the best in your travels :confused:

I would be happy to have you house sit for me if I was going away. I would be happy that you don't know a lot of people and therefore you wouldn't be inviting everyone over for a big party! :confused:

I think you should register, I think you would be a great idea as long as you intended to stay in one place for at least 2 weeks.

What does it cost to register?

. I previously had an own dog training company and organized dog seminars. We both love animals, especially dogs. Since our own dogs stays in Finland while we travel abroad, we would love to look after other dogs to relieve homesickness even a bit. I have used to do long bush walks daily and watch telly while scratching dogs bellies :

This is almost tempting me to book a holiday just so you can come and stay :confused:

This is almost tempting me to book a holiday just so you can come and stay :confused:

Exactly what I was thinking! What are you like with cats Elna? :laugh:

:mad Nice to notice that foreign house sitter is not out of the question :confused:

We love cats but Tomi, my boyfriend is unfortunately very allergic to cats and horses ;) Other animals are ok or cause just mild symptoms which goes away with an allergic medication. But indoor living cats we could'nt look after even we would love to.

Moi Elina!

I would be open to that for sure! I am half Finnish :eek:

What states are you looking at staying in?

Moi :eek: I wasn't really expecting anyone answer to me in Finnish :eek: There are lots of Finns in Australia. I have one relative there too.

We will be travelling through the whole country. This time i know only that we start from Perth in the end of October and would like to be in Sidney during the new years fireworks.

No problem, except I feel unlikely to go away again for a long time.

I used ?Aussie home sitters to find a couple to mind our dog + house for 2 weeks. Worked out brilliantly. Vaguely remember the fee for a sitter was $65, no charge to view and communicate with potential sitters.

No problem, except I feel unlikely to go away again for a long time.

I used ?Aussie home sitters to find a couple to mind our dog + house for 2 weeks. Worked out brilliantly. Vaguely remember the fee for a sitter was $65, no charge to view and communicate with potential sitters.

Thanks! That Aussie House Sitters seems like the best choice. I will register there.

Thank you all for your nice replys :provoke:

I would not have a problem. I know a lot of people here in Canberra who use house sitters. In fact I know a middle aged couple who house sit on a permanent basis moving from house to house and keeping anything they are not using in a storage unit.

Given your great credentials with dogs, you might do as well posting a note on DOL asking if anyone plans to go on travel. Some folks have a hard time finding good house/dog sitters . . . eg, boarding kennel owners often don't travel cause it's so hard to find responsible people to look after the kennel. It's also worth putting an add on Gumtree.com.au. There are versions for most if not all capital cities and it's free to post.

The rental market is pretty rough in capital cities and there are quite a few people looking to house sit.

You guys sound great! :confused:

The only other consideration would be for yourselves - locking into housesitting especially with animals would mean less time for you to travel and explore. :eek: So maybe you should think about that as well - you would be tied to one place for a period of time which may not suit you. :laugh:

I immediately thought of a placement for you but it's longer than 3 months - nice place but if you are travelling around the country, you want to see it all! :laugh:

• 1 month later...
Given your great credentials with dogs, you might do as well posting a note on DOL asking if anyone plans to go on travel. Some folks have a hard time finding good house/dog sitters . . . eg, boarding kennel owners often don't travel cause it's so hard to find responsible people to look after the kennel. It's also worth putting an add on Gumtree.com.au. There are versions for most if not all capital cities and it's free to post.

I feel a bit stupid now but I have to ask what do you mean by 'posting a note'? New thread or something else? That Gumtree was a good advice but I can't register there before I get Australian cell number :laugh:

I now finally know the date when we are coming to Australia. Our flight will arrive to Perth 27th of October :p