Registered/ethical Breeder?

Swizzlestick

Hi all,

I just have a question about breeders. I'll admit I don't know too much when it comes to what is correct/regarded as ethical :thumbsup:

Is it common for a registered breeder to have a litter that doesn't end up being registered? (either main or limited) Or does every litter get registered regardless of show or pet homes.

Also, in Victoria, are all pups supposed to be sold with microchips?

If it's not illegal to do so, would you regard a breeder who does sell without microchipping unethical?

Thanks,

:rofl:

If you are a registered breeder then all live pups must be registered.

Correct me if I am wrong, in Vic pups do not have to be microchipped before 12 weeks of age. I have had litters that I have not chipped because they do not have much muscle and the chip can move, does that make me unethical?

Edited by laneka

Thanks for your replies everyone. :thumbsup:

The reason I ask is just that I know of someone who myself and others had considered to be a "good, ethical breeder". But I've recently found out the pups have been getting sold without microchips and also with no papers. (Unsure though if the new owners just didn't get a copy of papers, or it the litters weren't registered at all)

I know they are a registered breeder in Victoria.

Thanks for your replies everyone. :thumbsup:

The reason I ask is just that I know of someone who myself and others had considered to be a "good, ethical breeder". But I've recently found out the pups have been getting sold without microchips and also with no papers. (Unsure though if the new owners just didn't get a copy of papers, or it the litters weren't registered at all)

I know they are a registered breeder in Victoria.

Well then , I suggest you reconsider your opinion - if this breeder is a member of Dogs Victoria all puppies must be registered & , under State law, must be microchipped

Correct me if I am wrong, in Vic pups do not have to be microchipped before 12 weeks of age. I have had litters that I have not chipped because they do not have much muscle and the chip can move, does that make me unethical?

I dont think it does

Well then , I suggest you reconsider your opinion - if this breeder is a member of Dogs Victoria all puppies must be registered & , under State law, must be microchipped

I agree that all living puppies must be registered with Dogs Vic and under state law at the age of 12 weeks must be micro chipped, but to my knowledge micro chipping is not compulsory when registering a litter with Dogs Vic. or before they go to their new homes at 8 weeks of age.

Yes I have a tad! :thumbsup:

I don't know the breeder personally. They are a client of the vet clinic I work at.

I know they are registered as they have a prefix and advertise on this very site.

I dont think it does

Thanks Flaves :thumbsup:

I found this info from here:

Q: Do all cats and dogs now have to be microchipped?

A: Yes, microchipping is now compulsory for all cats or dogs which are being registered with a council for the first time and councils also have the power to require compulsory microchipping of all cats and dogs housed. Check with your local council to see if microchipping is compulsory for all cats and dogs. Additionally cats and dogs sold or given away from any Domestic Animal Business (Pet Shop, Commercial Breeder or a pound or shelter) must be microchipped from 1 December 2005.

So it is not illegal to sell un-microchipped puppies unless you are commercial breeder. Puppies must be microchipped before they are registered with the council at 3 months of age.

I found this info from here:
Q: Do all cats and dogs now have to be microchipped?

A: Yes, microchipping is now compulsory for all cats or dogs which are being registered with a council for the first time and councils also have the power to require compulsory microchipping of all cats and dogs housed. Check with your local council to see if microchipping is compulsory for all cats and dogs. Additionally cats and dogs sold or given away from any Domestic Animal Business (Pet Shop, Commercial Breeder or a pound or shelter) must be microchipped from 1 December 2005.

So it is not illegal to sell un-microchipped puppies unless you are commercial breeder. Puppies must be microchipped before they are registered with the council at 3 months of age.

Thanks. I knew all dogs from 3mths had to be microchipped in order for them to be registered with their local council. Just was confused about if a pup was sold at 8wks for example, should a registered breeder have the pup chipped or is it the responsibility of the new owner.

Thanks for your reply. :thumbsup:

No it doesn't make you unethical as if you sell the puppy at 8 weeks it doesn't have to be chipped until 12 weeks, then what you are doing is fine.

Parkeyre - As far as I am aware WA doesn't have compulsory chipping as yet. If we ever have babies I would chip them all, but at $60 per puppy I hope they have reduced their prices by then!

WA doesn't require microchipping. I wouldn't support a requirement. The one time a couple of my pups got out and ended out with the Rangers, no one found their chips and called me. I called the rangers to report the escape and was told that they had the pups. My vet did a scan and found one of the chips was near the elbow.

When I have chipped litters I find that many owners are blase' about transferring the chip to their name . . . and my guess is that many many people forget to do change of address on chips when they move. Chips are no panacea and I don't think governments should require them . . . nor codes of ethics.

Are there any states remaining that do not require microchipping?

It became compulsory in Qld July last year that ALL dogs and cats MUST be micro-chipped. However I do still see the occasional litter where they are not micro-chipped by Registered Breeders :o

It is also compulsory for ALL surviving puppies in a litter to be registered (either Main/Limit) and come with pedigree papers.

Any breeder that is not doing that, I would report them to their relevant CCC body and run as fast as you can AWAY.

WA doesn't require microchipping. I wouldn't support a requirement. The one time a couple of my pups got out and ended out with the Rangers, no one found their chips and called me. I called the rangers to report the escape and was told that they had the pups. My vet did a scan and found one of the chips was near the elbow.

When I have chipped litters I find that many owners are blase' about transferring the chip to their name . . . and my guess is that many many people forget to do change of address on chips when they move. Chips are no panacea and I don't think governments should require them . . . nor codes of ethics.

Are there any states remaining that do not require microchipping?

You're joking, aren't you? :o

I get my girl's chip checked whenever we're at the vets. They shouldn't charge you for doing it, it only takes a few seconds to check. And then you know it's in the right place & that it's working, rather than finding out after it you've lost your dog.