Breeding 'allergic' Dogs

There has been alot of threads recently about what to feed dogs because they have an allergy to this, that or the other. Is it just me or does there seem to be alot of dogs with allergies these days?

I was at a tuppaware party last night and we were discussing allergies in kids. A couple of the ladies had allergies to certain things and they also have children with severe allergies and they were discussing the % chance of passing on allergies to their children. Apparently if 1 parent has an allergy then there is a 25% chance of their child having an allergy (not always to the same thing) and if both parents have allergies then there is a 60% chance of the children will have an allergy.

So, my question is, is there any research into this kind of thing with dogs? Would/should, breeders use dogs that have known allergies in their breeding programs? Is the dogs temperament and physical appearance the only thing that breeders are looking at when preparing to breed their dogs?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been alot of threads recently about what to feed dogs because they have an allergy to this, that or the other. Is it just me or does there seem to be alot of dogs with allergies these days?

I was at a tuppaware party last night and we were discussing allergies in kids. A couple of the ladies had allergies to certain things and they also have children with severe allergies and they were discussing the % chance of passing on allergies to their children. Apparently if 1 parent has an allergy then there is a 25% chance of their child having an allergy (not always to the same thing) and if both parents have allergies then there is a 60% chance of the children will have an allergy.

So, my question is, is there any research into this kind of thing with dogs? Would/should, breeders use dogs that have known allergies in their breeding programs? Is the dogs temperament and physical appearance the only thing that breeders are looking at when preparing to breed their dogs?

My 1st ridgeback had lots of allergies (also had 2 ear abblations), we saw the breeder much later & apparently most of the other litter mates had allergies too, so they stopped breeding that line.

The Dermatologists say they're genetic and one of the first things we were told by two different ones was that in any case of an atopic dog, the people should notify their breeders.

There is also some talk that some cases of canine allergic dermatitis is related to a skin barrier deficiency.

There was a study being done by a Uni to try and find the genetic marker, so people can screen for it prior to breeding, but not sure how far they got.

Found the article...

TITLE: Investigation into the Inheritance Pattern and Molecular Genetic Causes of Atopy in West Highland White Terriers

Principal Investigator: Dr Caroline O'Leary

LAY ABSTRACT:

The aim of this project is to determine the inheritance mechanism and genetic causes of atopy in West highland White Terriers (WHWT). Atopy is a common skin disease of WHWT that leads to itching, skin lesions, conjunctivitis, sneezing and ear infections. While many dog breeds are affected by atopy, West Highland White Terriers (WHWT) have a high prevalence of this disease with 25% of animals reported to be affected although this may be higher as mild cases may not be reported.

The disease is a debilitating and stressful condition for affected dogs, and it is a real welfare concern that dogs continue to be bred with this inherited condition. Atopy is likely to have a genetic basis due to the familial nature of the disease although very little genetic work has been done in this area to date. Detection of the genetic cause and inheritance pattern of this disease may allow development of a diagnostic test that allows breeders to minimise the breeding of affected puppies by identifying carriers and affected animals prior to development of clinical signs. Additionally, this may also have applicability in other dog breeds affected by atopy. This would allow early treatment and avoidance of breeding with affected dogs leading to a decreased incidence of this painful and expensive disease.

This disease has been difficult to investigate previously as many dogs in this breed are affected by atopy. Recently a line unaffected by atopy has been identified, providing a very useful resource genetically. This avoids one of the main stumbling blocks, which has been the difficulty in finding confirmed unaffected dogs for comparison with the atopic dogs. Additionally, these unaffected WHWT have been interbred with atopic WHWT, providing a unique situation for investigating the inheritance mechanism in the offspring. Further, new diagnostic criteria for atopy have recently been developed allowing us to reliably diagnose the disease more specifically than previously and also to analyse the genetic data obtained from this study more accurately than previously possible. Thus, this timely study may make a significant contribution to alleviating the suffering of atopic dogs in a way not previously possible.

2008 - Update on research

Seventy-nine WHWT were examined in this study. Forty nine WHWT were diagnosed as atopic by veterinary dermatologists using standard criteria and excluding other causes of pruritic skin disease. Thirty WHWT were classified as non atopic WHWT (all, but five, from one line of WHWT minimally affected by atopy). They were at least 5 years old and had no history or clinical symptoms of atopic disease.

Genomic DNA was extracted from EDTA blood from all dogs using a QIAamp Blood Midi Kit (QIAGEN GmbH, Germany), a saline extraction method or a phenol extraction method.

Canine flg was localised using BlastN (www.ensembl.org) to CFA17 at 64.296-64.305 Mbp (genome build CanFam2.0 May 2006). Fifteen nearby genetic markers were selected for the study.M13-labeling was used and genotyping was performed on a 3130xl Genetic Analyzer (Hitachi/Applied Biosystems, USA), with analysis using Genemapper.

Observed inheritance patterns were equally consistent with a common fully penetrant dominant (risk allele frequency PD=0.5) or recessive (PD=0.9) major locus.The haplotype frequencies did not differ significantly between affected and unaffected animals (P=0.29). Nonparametric linkage analysis failed to demonstrate linkage of the microsatellite marker haplotypes to atopy (affecteds-only analysis P=0.95; general pairs method P=0.45). On parametric linkage analysis under the dominant and recessive models, the lod score for atopy to the haplotype (at c=0) was LOD=-0.4.

The study excluded a large causative role for the canine flg orthologue in atopy in WHWT. However, the presence of mutation(s) with smaller effect size could not be completely ruled out.

Article to be published as a brief note in Animal Genetics:

Roque J., O’Leary, C.A. et al (2009) Haplotype sharing excludes canine orthologous Filaggrin locus in atopy in West highland White terriers. Animal Genetics (In Press, Accepted Manuscript)

There's also this...

Canine Atopic Dermatitis (CAD) is the most frequent canine dermatosis. It has been defi ned by the International

Task Force on Canine Atopic Dermatitis ( ITFCAD) as a “genetically predisposed infl ammatory and pruritic allergic

skin disease with characteristic clinical features associated with IgE antibodies most commonly directed against

environmental allergens”[1]. A ITFCAD-revised nomenclature for veterinary allergy also takes into account dogs

with clinical signs of atopic dermatitis but no demonstrable allergen-specifi c IgE (Intradermal tests and/or serology):

the term atopic-like dermatitis (ALD) was coined to described this group of dogs[1].

Edited by stormie

Breeders should not use allergic dogs or dogs from allergic lines in their breeding programs fullstop.

Research shows there is a genetic link - Breeders choose to ignore it or not educate themselves futher....ignorance is not bliss.

You hear people talk about a dogs Grand Sire who used to itch with certain grasses but don't see that as being an allergic dog....

A Breeder that knowingly breeds a line that has allergic roots is being cruel....

How is this not cruel...

130610003.jpg

120409.jpg

Allergic Dog Owner

Edited by sas

IMO dogs with allergies should definitely not be bred from. Dealing with allergies is usually a life long thing and something no pet owner needs, or the dog!

Is the dogs temperament and physical appearance the only thing that breeders are looking at when preparing to breed their dogs?

No, any decent breeder will also look at the health of the dogs and in many breeds their ability to do their original purpose.

Edited by FHRP

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sas - I agree that to breed a dog/s that has allergies is a form of cruelty.

So I guess then that another question to add to the list of questions to ask a breeder when looking at buying a pup is if either of the parents (or gradparents) have any allergies and then hope that they are honest with you about it!

i live with two mixed breeds and it's obvious to me from where they came :rofl:

my heart dog bella is bathed in luck :rofl: --- i've not had one minute of concern with her health or behaviour...

byron, my soul dog, is fraught with concerns, near the worst of which is his itchy *invisible condition* skin --- it pains me greatly to watch him battle to satisfy his itch and he follows a pattern like it is a rule book, written with him in mind...

i have several preparations on hand, be it at 9pm or 3 am, to help him manage his routine...

if i could put my hands around his breeder's neck, i would first rub their nose in his excrement --- allergy, in my view, is the most sustainable cruelty...

*breaking :thumbsup: *

some people dont see it an issue, as they also dont see some temperament faults as a problem either. It comes down to when you want to buy a dog ask what diet the parents are eating and if there is any known scratching or allergies. There is enough dogs about because people either feed them rubbish or they come from bad lines.

some people dont see it an issue, as they also dont see some temperament faults as a problem either. It comes down to when you want to buy a dog ask what diet the parents are eating and if there is any known scratching or allergies. There is enough dogs about because people either feed them rubbish or they come from bad lines.

Dogs have survived along side man eating rubbish for centuries. Some dogs can be fed rubbish & have no allergies & others can get the best & most careful of everything & get them.

It comes from the dogs immune system. I would not breed from a dog with allergies.

Having 4 children with various degrees of allergy, 2 moderate, 1 high & 1 severe life threatening I had no idea this would happen as allergy did not seem to run in the families. Fast forward to over 50 & big stress periods & the current living generation are all getting them.

I would have knocked us both out of the breeding programme if we were animals knowing what I know now.

Not what I would be doing at all.

rubbish used to be old meat and food, not cheap junk laden with every nasty chemical known to man PLUS slather our dogs in more chemicals. Not saying they create the problem entirely but they can exacerbate or bring it on in dogs that otherwise may not show

My dog was fed quality diet and what the breeder reccomended and so do loads of allergic dogs.

Dogs don't become allergic because they're fed PAL or some other non-high quallity food - that's a cop out because there are a huge amount of non-allergic dogs who are fed super market diets.

rubbish used to be old meat and food, not cheap junk laden with every nasty chemical known to man PLUS slather our dogs in more chemicals. Not saying they create the problem entirely but they can exacerbate or bring it on in dogs that otherwise may not show

:confused: Back stepping pretty good there.....even what you said there lacks factual information - you almost sound like a breeder of allergic dogs trying to defend yourself.

Edited by sas

My dog was fed quality diet and what the breeder reccomended and so do loads of allergic dogs.

Dogs don't become allergic because they're fed PAL or some other non-high quallity food - that's a cop out because there are a huge amount of non-allergic dogs who are fed super market diets.

Yes, I have to agree with this. I don't think that commerical food is the best choice, but I also don't believe that it is the root cause of the problems we see in dogs. In fact, I'd like to see any conclusive evidence that dogs fed a commercial diet are any less healthy overall or live shorter lives soley because of this.

I think immune issues and allergies are all genetically based, but then again I do have to wonder why the percentages of cancer and allergies in dogs and humans has gone up, is it environment??, is it the chemicals we are spraying in the environment and on our foods??

I believe that dogs/humans have compromised immune systems simply because we are 'bathed' in chemicals - from the air, our food, cleaning/deodorising things/exposure to plastics... medicines...the list goes on :eek:

So many dog owners throw chemicals at their 'pampered' dogs- internally, with endo/exo parasite controls, externally with baths/grooming products,and things used in kennels/houses to clean/disinfect...I guess vacc's come in somewhere ...

Dogs eat treats/foods containing prservatives, colourings, flavours....

Nobody's system was originally designed to cope with all these things..and it is now showing . :eek:

I think immune issues and allergies are all genetically based, but then again I do have to wonder why the percentages of cancer and allergies in dogs and humans has gone up, is it environment??, is it the chemicals we are spraying in the environment and on our foods??

Probably chemicals are part of the issue, I think. But I think genetics is a huge issue too.

In the past, animals with severe allergies would be unlikely to be breed from and would probably have been PTS or allowed to die, so any genes making an animal susceptible to allergies would have be regularly weeded out of the population. But these days, we can & do treat the problem, which lets these dogs survive & breed.

When we treat canine allergies, we're not always curing the underlying genetic predisposition - we're just masking the symptoms. This isn't a bad thing, as stopping the symptoms makes the dog concerned much more comfortable & lets it live a much happier life. But every time we treat & then breed from a canine with allergies, then any genes that contributed to the allergy are passed on. They aren't weeded out, & they increase in the population. Which equals more dogs with allergies.

If vets had an automatic policy to seize & desex every animal with allergies that walked in the door, I'd be willing to bet that we could almost eliminate canine allergies within 20 years. Of course, we can't do that. All we can do is make the individual dog comfortable (by masking its symptoms), and encourage the owners to desex. Some listen, some don't.

I believe that dogs/humans have compromised immune systems simply because we are 'bathed' in chemicals - from the air, our food, cleaning/deodorising things/exposure to plastics... medicines...the list goes on :eek:

So many dog owners throw chemicals at their 'pampered' dogs- internally, with endo/exo parasite controls, externally with baths/grooming products,and things used in kennels/houses to clean/disinfect...I guess vacc's come in somewhere ...

Nobody's system was originally designed to cope with all these things..and it is now showing . :eek:

Oh another expert, awesome! Love it how some people think they know better than Science :eek:

I believe that dogs/humans have compromised immune systems simply because we are 'bathed' in chemicals - from the air, our food, cleaning/deodorising things/exposure to plastics... medicines...the list goes on :happydance:

Nobody's system was originally designed to cope with all these things..and it is now showing . :lollipop:

Oh another expert, awesome! Love it how some people think they know better than Science :dancingelephant:

Find me a study that that reports on the effects that all these things combined has on our dogs.

I doubt very much if anyone has ever looked into the whole picture, there are studies on individual products, but a total environment I seriously doubt. Science is not perfect, and every generation they discover more and more things that we have been slowly killing ourselves with.

Agent orange and napalm were considered okey dokey to use once.