Whelping Essentials And Birthing "intervention"

LizT

LizT, I find the crochet cotton is great for tying off cords. I just cut a dozen or so at about eight inches and have them ready in a jar of metho. I just take them out with a pair of tweezers, tie off and trim.

fifi

LizT, I find the crochet cotton is great for tying off cords. I just cut a dozen or so at about eight inches and have them ready in a jar of metho. I just take them out with a pair of tweezers, tie off and trim.

fifi

Thanks Fifi :o

<OMG A Cavalier refusing food....that I can't wait to see!!! >

I was going to say don't count on that bit but the others have told you :o Most of my girls have gone off their food but I did have one girl help me with my hamburger and then have her pups :laugh:

<OMG A Cavalier refusing food....that I can't wait to see!!! >

I was going to say don't count on that bit but the others have told you :( Most of my girls have gone off their food but I did have one girl help me with my hamburger and then have her pups :banghead:

:banghead::banghead: Cavs, gotta love 'em! :banghead:

Thanks Cavalblaze, I've got some self adhesive dressing I'm putting around the bubs middle to temporarily cover them so mum won't "focus' so much on it.

Just be aware that this may make some bitches do the exact opposite to what you desire. Many will find the urge to remove something from their puppies that doesn't belong there too strong to resist.

Personally, I find that once they are no longer fresh, the bitches don't bother much with them anyway.

Thanks Cavalblaze, I've got some self adhesive dressing I'm putting around the bubs middle to temporarily cover them so mum won't "focus' so much on it.

Just be aware that this may make some bitches do the exact opposite to what you desire. Many will find the urge to remove something from their puppies that doesn't belong there too strong to resist.

Personally, I find that once they are no longer fresh, the bitches don't bother much with them anyway.

Okay, think I'll play it by ear and see how things unfold with her. Do you hemostat, cut and tie Ellez or leave it to mum to "shred"?

Okay, think I'll play it by ear and see how things unfold with her. Do you hemostat, cut and tie Ellez or leave it to mum to "shred"?

My thoughts are squeeze and cut/break. Having nearly lost Cleo I do not want to go through that again.

I squeeze the cords, then clamp and cut or break depending upon what is going on and how quickly they are coming or whether or not the puppy is a bit flat. I try not to leave the cords too long but I generally just see how things go. Some cords are longer than others of course, I do tie some if they look like bleeding a little more than others but I try to remove the ties fairly quickly. I only intervene if she's trying to chew at them and that is normally only in the first couple of hours and I'm there constantly anyway to divert her if she becomes insistent. My girls really resent having strange things on or near their puppies so leaving the floss on them draws more attention to the cords and they will try and nibble the cords until the floss disappears...hence why I remove it if possible. Mum licking the cords helps them to heal and dry too, I was told years ago that dog saliva can be antiseptic to dogs themselves unless they are ill.

I don't think I've ever left them on for 10 minutes but if that makes you more comfortable, then go for it. Generally by 10 minutes the puppy is dry and back on the milkbar and sometimes has even been taken off a couple of times for the arrival of more puppies and the clamps would make that difficult IMO.

I don't think I've ever left them on for 10 minutes but if that makes you more comfortable, then go for it. Generally by 10 minutes the puppy is dry and back on the milkbar and sometimes has even been taken off a couple of times for the arrival of more puppies and the clamps would make that difficult IMO.

That's what I was thinking. So provided the placenta has 'drained' it should only take about as long as it would take mum to chew through it, and she crushes as she chews it so a few minutes should do the trick I guess. The 10 minutes was for a large breed too so I guess that is for a larger cord.

Sigh...with foals they just stretch and then break under the stress.

Edited by LizT

Yes, pure Crabbet.

Filly is greying out now, she'll end up white like her mother. Her 3/4 sister on the other hand (same sire, mother is niece of the white mare) is bay and will stay that way. 50/50 chance of a foal out of a grey turning grey.

Here she is....now a 2yo and looking like she is growing penicillin and is covered in a nice mist of mould.

post-864-1282713572_thumb.jpg

Yes, pure Crabbet.

Filly is greying out now, she'll end up white like her mother. Her 3/4 sister on the other hand (same sire, mother is niece of the white mare) is bay and will stay that way. 50/50 chance of a foal out of a grey turning grey.

Here she is....now a 2yo and looking like she is growing penicillin and is covered in a nice mist of mould.

post-864-1282713572_thumb.jpg

Interesting description! :rofl:

Edited by LizT