Chicken Free Kibble

Sharna3

Is it chicken free??

I have a bag in front of me and it doesn't have chicken listed but it does say animal fat preserved with so it would depend what animal fat they have used, try calling their hot line. I actually like the Pro Plan Salmon and have all mine on it and Artemis at the moment and they are all doing really well. I looked at the Canidae Grain Free Salmon Formula and the Artemis gain free but I wouldn't be feeding a young dog that much Protein. I asked a vet etc about the high proteins in the grain free foods for dogs that aren't in work etc and was advised not to use it for the younger dogs but it would be ok for the older dogs as they would convert the extra protein not used into carbohydrates but it was better for working, active dogs.

Cheers

Had a customer yesterday whose Staffie has been through the blood work tests that are sent off to the States. She brought in the results, which provided incredibly detailed information about the dog's allergies and irritants. It was challenging finding a food for him, as amongst other things, he is allergic to barley, potato and carrot. Also wheat, corn, beef and borderline pork.

He's gone home on Propac Sensitive, which completely fitted the profile. This was a most interesting tool to be able to use. To know that the dog could eat without worsening his symptoms was a huge relief for his owner, and certainly made my job easier.

The testing, including US costs, along with the resulting series of injections that have been specifically formulated for him to desensitise him to dust mites and some other things, cost her around $600.

Well worth considering, if you have a dog with ongoing issues that just doesn't quite respond to all the usual methods.

Sags

PS Pro Plan also spray their kibble with animal digest (or did a couple of years ago) so worth asking the company if still done and if so, with what.

Edited by Sagittarian

Had a customer yesterday whose Staffie has been through the blood work tests that are sent off to the States. She brought in the results, which provided incredibly detailed information about the dog's allergies and irritants. It was challenging finding a food for him, as amongst other things, he is allergic to barley, potato and carrot. Also wheat, corn, beef and borderline pork.

He's gone home on Propac Sensitive, which completely fitted the profile. This was a most interesting tool to be able to use. To know that the dog could eat without worsening his symptoms was a huge relief for his owner, and certainly made my job easier.

The testing, including US costs, along with the resulting series of injections that have been specifically formulated for him to desensitise him to dust mites and some other things, cost her around $600.

Well worth considering, if you have a dog with ongoing issues that just doesn't quite respond to all the usual methods.

Sags

PS Pro Plan also spray their kibble with animal digest (or did a couple of years ago) so worth asking the company if still done and if so, with what.

So do Royal Canin

Sags

Was that the HESKA tests??

The Calendula will not fix the cause, but it is something to do to help keep your dog comfortable in his skin until you can.

In some dogs....

Calendula will do nothing for my boy when he's really bad.

Sags

They're not neccessarily accurate tests unfortunately and most Derms don't believe you can diagnose a food allergy through a blood test.

My boy is allergic to chicken, but tolerates the chicken fat that is used in Nutro Lamb & Rice. He is doing so much better on this food than any other. Took me a long time to work out he is allergic to chicken though!