Hefty Fine Possible After Dog Attack

k9angel

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/offbe...ck-on-children/

The Collie shire council says the owner of a dog, which attacked five children at the weekend, could face a hefty fine.

The children, aged between 11 and 12, were at a birthday party on Saturday evening in Steere Street when a bull terrier broke free from a house on the same street.

The children were taken to hospital with two suffering serious injuries.

The Collie shire president Wayne Sanford says the outcome could have been even worse.

"In all dog attacks there is the potential for very grave outcomes if the injuries happen to vital areas of the body," he said.

"The fact that it's happened to kids; there could be psychological and physical injuries that may take some considerable time to get over."

Mr Sanford says dog owners need to be responsible for their pets.

"What we've got to understand here is that dog owners need to be aware of their responsibilities and when there is an attack, the best the ranger service can do is respond to that," he said.

Council spokesman Ron Van Delft says the dog has been put down and the owner faces a possible fine of up to $10,000.

"Basically, once we've given the witnesses a bit of time to get over the shock and trauma, we will be taking statements," he said.

"We will then assess all of the evidence and determine what an appropriate course of action might be."

My OH saw this on yahoo tonight and called me over. He said "This is one mean lookin dog-check this out"

If that photo is the actual attacking dog that is really scary. That is a frightening snarl.

I saw this on the tv news last night. Interesting the differences between that article and the one linked.

On the tv they said that the dog wasn't being 'aggressive' as such, but that it seemed to be out of control excitement. That the parents of the children involved had asked the owners of the dog to not put it down but the owners chose to. Also the dog used to belong to their son, who passed away last year.

My OH saw this on yahoo tonight and called me over. He said "This is one mean lookin dog-check this out"

If that photo is the actual attacking dog that is really scary. That is a frightening snarl.

Photo of dog with owners toddler doesn't look scary at all.

From other reports it sounds like dog who was used to riding on owners quad bike and playing with kids got over excited by squealing kids riding around in trailer towed by bike.

I do wonder what the real story is. They say the dog "attacked" but I believe that term can legally include things like jumping at people. Did the dog actually bite the kids?

I've met many young staffies that were so strong & excitable that they'd be quite capable of bulldozing children to the ground when worked up & doing zoomies. IMO that is quite different to a dog that attacked/bit/mauled children. Not acceptable - bad owner - but still quite different.

Read this in the WA paper. The dog has been euthed which is sad for the owner (the dog belonged to thier son who passed away last year) but fair (the kids legs had been bitten, one child required surgery on the wounds and is still in hospital).

I do wonder what the real story is. They say the dog "attacked" but I believe that term can legally include things like jumping at people. Did the dog actually bite the kids?

I've met many young staffies that were so strong & excitable that they'd be quite capable of bulldozing children to the ground when worked up & doing zoomies. IMO that is quite different to a dog that attacked/bit/mauled children. Not acceptable - bad owner - but still quite different.

It sounds like predatory aggression if the dog was over-excited rather than growly. The reason doesn't really matter though, only the result of what the dog has done.

• 1 month later...
main reason i dont trust bull terriers anymore.... they hurt! i feel for the little kiddies.

It wasn't a bull terrier...

Are you saying the original report is incorrect?

The children, aged between 11 and 12, were at a birthday party on Saturday evening in Steere Street when a bull terrier broke free from a house on the same street.

main reason i dont trust bull terriers anymore.... they hurt! i feel for the little kiddies.

I feel that is an overly broad, sweeping statement inspired by the typical scare mongering of the media, I doubt that you ever liked Bull breeds if you are so easily swayed by hearsay and Murdoch journalism :eek: