Aggressive Dogs And Public Places

Odin-Genie

Aggressive dogs and public places  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take a DA dog to an offleash dog park when there are other unknown dogs around?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if the dog is very well trained and has excellent recall
    • Only if the dog is very well trained, has excellent recall and is muzzled
  2. 2. Would you take a HA dog to an oval and allow it to go offlead when there are other people and children around?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if the dog is very well trained and has excellent recall
    • Only if the dog is very well trained, has excellent recall and is muzzled

Hi,

Just curious about people's reaction to aggressive dogs. For the purposes of this poll, I would define aggressive as a dog who is likely to bite in retaliation if it is scared or surprised through sudden petting or sniffing etc.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said no to both, if the dog had a great recall and a muzzle then I don't really have a problem with someone else doing it, but I wouldn't do it myself.

Interesting that results show people are more likely to put other dogs at risk than other humans, I would have thought if the dogs recall was good enough for dogs why not people also?

Well as wrong as it is, you can't really compare a dog to a child.

Also, dogs have more chance of defending themselves than a human or child does, especially if the aggressor is muzzled.

I know, just annoys me to think someone thinks it's ok for my dog to be at risk :laugh: Kind of pointless with me though, we don't use dog parks for this very reason. It's fine to say "Oh his recall is great" but how many times have we been to dog parks and seen absolute mayhem

Voted no for both cos even if I knew my dog was well trained, had great recall and was muzzled, I couldn't be sure that the other dogs or people would be as well behaved and wouldn't do something stupid.

My DA dog is very sweet and loving (with people) and usually very obedient but when she gets it in her head that she wants to attack there is no stopping her. I have had to lay on top of her on a sidewalk to stop her from chasing after a lady carrying a dog that she had just picked up and shook (the other dog was off lead and ignored it's owners calls to come). It's like she gets tunnel vision and nothing else matters. Even if wearing a muzzle it would still be very traumatic for the dog that gets attacked and no guarantee that it wouldn't get hurt and I don't want to put my dog in a postion that sets her up to fail.

Depends.

Depends what you call DA or HA.

Depends what you call an excellent recall.

Depends on the layout of the park.

I have taken my DA dog to a few different dog parks on occasion. We did not muzzle. We only did this when:

a) he had developed an excellent recall and obedience (as in really, truly, excellent obedience; as in would perform for me even with another dog actually jumping on him and barking)

b) the park we chose was huge and was laid out so that we could see anyone approaching from a considerable distance in all directions

c) we couldn't see anyone in the park, and we left the area as soon as I observed anyone

Because of our training & precautions, I believe the people in the park were in less danger from my dog than from most other dogs out there, even though he was DA.

However, as I said in the previous topic, I think as a general rule, most DA dogs do not belong in most dog parks. Most dogs are not as obedient as my old dog, most dog parks are not as large or well laid out as the one we used.

Surely this is a "no brainer". why would you do either? my past and occasionally my present dogs can be DA, why would i let them off the lead with other dogs if their behavior is going to be unpredictable.

When no-one is around they get let off, i choose my times and places carefully, they're friendly most of the time, sometime too friendly which can lead to problems.

As for HA dogs, i feel shouldn't be off lead near people.

Surely this is a "no brainer". why would you do either? my past and occasionally my present dogs can be DA, why would i let them off the lead with other dogs if their behavior is going to be unpredictable.

When no-one is around they get let off, i choose my times and places carefully, they're friendly most of the time, sometime too friendly which can lead to problems.

As for HA dogs, i feel shouldn't be off lead near people.

Agree with geo - NO to both!

No to both.

I've had DA and HA dogs in the past... it's just not a risk or chance we want to take. no matter how sweet, friendly and obedience they are at home.. they are always leashed and sometimes muzzled when we go outside.

Edited by CW EW