Possible Hip Dysplasia In Amstaff?

Hi everyone,

My friend has an Amstaff, he is about 1.5 years old.

He is a very active dog and has been exercised regularly.

Last Sunday, some friends and I took our dogs to the dog park.

When we left, the Amstaff was reluctant to jump in the car (we thought nothing of it, thought it was behavioural).

He would yelp/whine when getting up later that night, but was fine the next day.

Yesterday, we took him to the park again. He was again reluctant to jump in the car.

Last night, he was reluctant to climb a short set of stairs (maybe 3-4 steps), he would cry/yelp/whine when getting up.

This morning he appeared to be in pain still.

Could this be a short term problem, such as a strained muscle? Or is it more serious? We took him to the Vet for an initial visit, no broken bones, no obvious muscle damage. Could it be hip dysplasia? This is the first time he has shown any symptoms of pain and they have been in the last week, he seemed fine during the week, only after hard exercise did he show symptoms. For those of you who have been on the same boat, what is the advised process from here? Do we wait and see or do we start testing for hip dysplasia and similar problems?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by DerRottweiler

It could just be a soft tissue injury but if he were mine I'd start with a visit to a good canine chiropractor, to make sure he has nothing out of place. Or a Bowen therapist. Someone on here should be able to recommend someone local to you. If they can't help and it doesn't resolve with rest I'd be going back to the vet for further investigation.

Edited by Diva

I have a 2 year old rottie with hip dysplasia. It started around 11months of age after a big play at the dog park and that night she was barely able to stand after laying down. Being cautious and aware that rotties are prone to HD I immediately took her to the vet who felt clicking and a "scoop" in the affected hip upon hip extension and recommended x-rays which we had done and yes, my girl had a partially dislocated hip, which is the precurser to HD.

We immediately started the zydax/penosan injections once a week for 4 weeks. I also took her to a vet physio then chiro then acupuncturist (only one at a time to determine what was helping and what wasn't). I am glad I didn't "wait and see". By the way, I found the chiro to be the most beneficial. The physio was great at explaining alot more then our regular vet and also gave me exercises to help, it was a one off visit (we live 2 hours away from the physio).

Early diagnosis has helped me be more aware not to let Zoe over exercise, to keep her on the lean side, to make the effort to take her swimming regularly, and start on the glucosamine straight away. I'm glad I know so I can do all things possible to slow down the degeneration of her hip.

At the moment there is nothing that Zoe can't do and to see her run at the beach you wouldn't know she had a problem. On the very odd occasion she pulls up a little stiff, playing with really fast running dogs, but a I give her a natural anti-inflammatory for a day or 2 and she's all good.

I hope your one is just a strain, but for me, I couldn't risk not knowing and not taking action.

Could this be a short term problem, such as a strained muscle? Or is it more serious? We took him to the Vet for an initial visit, no broken bones, no obvious muscle damage. Could it be hip dysplasia? This is the first time he has shown any symptoms of pain and they have been in the last week, he seemed fine during the week, only after hard exercise did he show symptoms. For those of you who have been on the same boat, what is the advised process from here? Do we wait and see or do we start testing for hip dysplasia and similar problems?

What did the vet suggest was wrong? A vet should be able to tell from a physical examination whether hip dysplasia is a possibility and would advise investigations. I took my lab in to the vet limping with an injury to the foot but the vet on examining her picked their was something not quite right with her hip and x-rays confirmed hip dysplasia.

Off topic a little but had the parents of the Rotti and the Amstaff and Lab referred to been hip x-rayed and scored?

Not being funny at all, just wondering if other breeds are vigilant with hip scoring before breeding, particularly as these breeds are more prone to HD.

Off topic a little but had the parents of the Rotti and the Amstaff and Lab referred to been hip x-rayed and scored?

Not being funny at all, just wondering if other breeds are vigilant with hip scoring before breeding, particularly as these breeds are more prone to HD.

My lab is a rescue so no idea about parents but I doubt it. My vet thinks she is a purebred but from what I know of her previous circumstances I doubt she would have been papered. It is risk you take with rescued dogs.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

My friend is seeking out a 2nd opinion today, as the 1st vet was inconclusive.

The dog is a bit better, but he'd like to find out for sure what the problem is.

In terms of the Amstaff, yes, both parents x-rayed and scored, he is from a reputable breeder.

That doesn't always eliminate the possibility though.

def go to a chiro. You're in western suburbs, try Potter Chiropractic behind Werribee plaza. He's really good and knows his stuff

HD doesnt just suddenly appear like that, sounds like he's done his back and has pressure on the nerves.

Edited by Nekhbet

Thanks for the advice everyone.

My friend is seeking out a 2nd opinion today, as the 1st vet was inconclusive.

The dog is a bit better, but he'd like to find out for sure what the problem is.

In terms of the Amstaff, yes, both parents x-rayed and scored, he is from a reputable breeder.

That doesn't always eliminate the possibility though.

My lab is a rescue so no idea about parents but I doubt it. My vet thinks she is a purebred but from what I know of her previous circumstances I doubt she would have been papered. It is risk you take with rescued dogs.

def go to a chiro. You're in western suburbs, try Potter Chiropractic behind Werribee plaza. He's really good and knows his stuff

HD doesnt just suddenly appear like that, sounds like he's done his back and has pressure on the nerves.

I know Werribee Plaza, shouldn't be too hard to find the place.

Only around 30mins from my mates house.

Would you advise to go for scans first? Or chiro first?

The scans are booked in for Thursday.

go chiro first, Dr Potter seems to find whatever is wrong with them quick smart with manupulation. I dont bother with scans unless the chiro doesnt work or there is something very very wrong.

I'm putting $10 on lower back

ETA my Dogue went through this a couple of weeks ago, literally collapsed out of his crate, couldnt walk. Went to a dog chiro and yep, he had done his lower back again which had given him a whopping case of sciatica. My Malinois started yelping that same week, werribee vet clinic said arthritis in her hips ?!?! and medicated her to the eyeballs. The only way this dog could settle was with a hand full of tramadol. Then they said she needs x-rays and anaesthetic at $500 ... dog chiro found she had dislocated her tail, popped it back into place and she was right as rain straight away.

Edited by Nekhbet

Thanks for the input guys.

The only thing is, the dog is fine now. But I bet, if we took him for some hard exercise again, he would pull up sore.

So I think, when we take him for exercise on the weekend and if he pulls up sore that night, he should go to the Chiro.

Or is it advisable to go to the Chiro even if the dog seems to have recovered?

• 2 weeks later...