Cooked Eggs Or Raw Eggs?

Hi, just wondering what is suitable to give to a dog, raw eggs or cooked eggs? I've always heard that raw eggs are more beneficial, and I've given Emma raw eggs in the past, but in the pinned topic in thie forum it says:

Eggs (Raw)

Raw egg whites contain a protein called avidin, which can deplete your dog of biotin, one of the B vitamins. Biotin is essential to your dog’s growth and coat health. Additionally, raw eggs are often contaminated with bacteria, such as salmonella, and you could end up giving your dog food poisoning in addition to biotin deficiency.

Symptoms of biotin depletion are hair loss, weakness, growth retardation and skeleton deformity. If your dog is suffering from these symptoms the situation is urgent, and veterinary treatment is needed. Cooked eggs are high in protein and make an excellent treat. It is only the raw eggs that should not be given to your dog.

I do know that a few people give their dogs raw eggs though. So what's the right answer? What do you give your dogs? Cooked eggs or raw eggs? :thumbsup:

I give raw is ok for a healthy dog ... I think if your dog was unwell or something then lightly cooked is better.

They usually only get 1 a week ... sometimes 2 if I am wanting to get rid of a few extra eggs.

Edited by Tilly

ive heard scrambled eggs are good for sick dogs and the egg whites are ment to be only give to your dog but the egg shells are good for the coat so not sure but you could probably give your dog a whole egg hahah i wouldnt personally as still not sure about the yolk

ive heard scrambled eggs are good for sick dogs and the egg whites are ment to be only give to your dog but the egg shells are good for the coat so not sure but you could probably give your dog a whole egg hahah i wouldnt personally as still not sure about the yolk

It's the egg whites that you don't give on their own (uncooked). I give my girl a whole raw egg about twice a week, shell & all, but I crumble the shell up as I have chooks & I don't want her thinking that its OK to steal the eggs.

It's the egg whites that you don't give on their own (uncooked). I give my girl a whole raw egg about twice a week, shell & all, but I crumble the shell up as I have chooks & I don't want her thinking that its OK to steal the eggs.

hahah sorry i got muddled between the two i ment to say the oppsite :S ahha whoops that could have ended badly

hahah sorry i got muddled between the two i ment to say the oppsite :S ahha whoops that could have ended badly

###### how do i delete this post ??? posted twice stupid cmp

Edited by catherine.b

feed them raw , shell and all

Same here. The buggers spy the eggs in my hand and start wiggling their butts.

One will run around with her egg untill she finally drops it :laugh:

The others are straight to smash them and eat the whole lot.

I always try to cook the white of the egg due to being told that raw eggs can prevent the absorption of Vitamin B.

Apparently raw egg whites contain an anti-nutrient called avidin that binds to the B vitamin 'biotin' and prevents the body absobing it. Biotin is important for fatty acid absorption and maintenance of blood sugar, and is especially needed during pregnancy. Egg whites also contain digestive enzyme inhibitors but these are destroyed by cooking. In addition the whites are reported to be acidic when raw (alkaline when cooked - according to literature on gout and urinary stones) and my dog needs to keep his sytem more alkaline for health reasons. (Yolks on the other hand are alkaline when raw and acidic when cooked apparently) For all these reasons I cook the eggs just enough to cook the whites but not the yolks - usually by putting them in boiling water for a short time - with the shells still on. If for some reason you need to increase the acidity in your dogs system then it would obviously be a different story :laugh:

That said - my dogs get a lot of eggs - being dallies (one a confirmed stone-former) so it's part of a specific diet for them. If you only gave your dog a raw egg now and again it probably wouldn't hurt them too much. I just think it's good to be aware of the issues with raw egg white.

BTW Egg yolk contains many more beneficial nutrients etc than whites - some people even advocate that the whites are not worth consuming!!! (Not me - I love my scrambled/fried etc eggs - all of them LOL)

Oh and they get the shell too - sometimes still around the eggs and some ground up and put in their food.

One will run around with her egg untill she finally drops it :D

:D My boy doesn't even realise it's edible until he accidentally drops it and it cracks.

He gets about 2 eggs a week with no problems. And very rarely, some leftover scrambled egg.

LOL My girl's the same If I give her a whole egg. She carries it around for ages. Places it carefully on the ground, rolls it around and chases it and only when it breaks does she realise it's food. :laugh: At times I've had to take it off her and break it myself hahahaha

feed them raw , shell and all

Same here. The buggers spy the eggs in my hand and start wiggling their butts.

One will run around with her egg untill she finally drops it :laugh:

The others are straight to smash them and eat the whole lot.

+3 but probably only once a week so I doubt it's an issue.

I eat heaps of poached eggs so if *most* of them were infected with salmonella I'd be the first to know about it. :)