I Think I Just Found Out Why Pepe Sometimes Knocks Bars.....

Really Tiggy ??

I could help organise that for you :heart:

Staffords and Whippets get on really well :angel:

My initial training always involves grids and training to help the dog jump the best shape it can. I have never seen any of the DVDs you speak of - although I am very interested now - I have my roots in horses.

Really Tiggy ??

I could help organise that for you :)

Staffords and Whippets get on really well :laugh:

My initial training always involves grids and training to help the dog jump the best shape it can. I have never seen any of the DVDs you speak of - although I am very interested now - I have my roots in horses.

I have a wait before I can get my Whippet unless someone wants to buy me an acreage :laugh:

I thought the Stafford/Whippet combo would be good :D

I thought the Stafford/Whippet combo would be good :laugh:

Warley aka SBT123 aka ReadySetGo has this combo! :laugh:

Howie the Whippet met his first offlead Stafford a while back - they had a mad game of chasey. The SBT owner was blown away by how fast Howie was. :)

I thought the Stafford/Whippet combo would be good :p

Warley aka SBT123 aka ReadySetGo has this combo! ;)

Howie the Whippet met his first offlead Stafford a while back - they had a mad game of chasey. The SBT owner was blown away by how fast Howie was. :laugh:

I'm still getting use to the ReadySetGo name change :o

Really Tiggy ??

I could help organise that for you :laugh:

Staffords and Whippets get on really well ;)

I have a wait before I can get my Whippet unless someone wants to buy me an acreage :rofl:

I thought the Stafford/Whippet combo would be good :sick:

Oh you don't need acerage!

They stack very neatly on top of one another whilst sleeping, need a bit of a mad run, then decorate your lounge, so very low maintence and no need for lot and lots of runs etc. Someone mentioned to me when I described what sort of exercise Lewis does in a day that he sounded like a more hyper Whippet. I nearly fell off my chair laughing. Yep he runs lots in his dreams when he is laying on the leather lounge!

He does do more than Rommi but after Dobes, these Whippets are a walk in the park :mad

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Oh you don't need acerage!

They stack very neatly on top of one another whilst sleeping, need a bit of a mad run, then decorate your lounge, so very low maintence and no need for lot and lots of runs etc. Someone mentioned to me when I described what sort of exercise Lewis does in a day that he sounded like a more hyper Whippet. I nearly fell off my chair laughing. Yep he runs lots in his dreams when he is laying on the leather lounge!

He does do more than Rommi but after Dobes, these Whippets are a walk in the park :mad

Sounds like a Whippet will fit right in with my Staffords then, lucky I have a big lounge :laugh: .

I would love to hear how you do this Rommi, if you wouldn't mind starting a thread? I'd ask for a PM, but am sure other people would also be interested.

I hope to jump my girl at some point after we have her shoulder issues all cleared up, & would rather start her right than retrain later.

Interestingly I have not done any grid work with Kaos, and I don't have a bar knocking or jump style problem.

I do need to work on teaching him to jump tight, as he tends to jump long, but that is another issue altogether :laugh:

I would love to hear how you do this Rommi, if you wouldn't mind starting a thread? I'd ask for a PM, but am sure other people would also be interested.

I hope to jump my girl at some point after we have her shoulder issues all cleared up, & would rather start her right than retrain later.

There have been mention of the DVD's before in agility threads.

I am not quite sure I am knowledgeable for a whole unique thread!!!!! That's a bit scary!

Basically I train quite a few grids. The jumps will be anything from 2 metres (bit less with the Whippets) to 4 or more metres apart. They will be from very low to maximum height. Sometime things like the first one low, second one high, third one low fourth on high. I will put a spread in the middle - leaving adequate room to the next jump of course. A rail on the ground at the base of the jump also helps. I will quite often put a ground pole infront of the jump. If they are jumping flat I will place it a little closer than their natural stride to get them closer to the bottom of the jump, so therefore their jump will become rounder. Sometimes I do a grid of all low jumps with only a bounce stride between, once again if they are jumping to flat I put them a little closer than their normal striding, if they are too round I stretch them slightly.

I then put the jumps in a grid, but all on opposite angles, so first one left side closer, second one right side closer etc etc. That is more to teach jumpimg at angles though rather than jumping shape.

I have had some people in aglilty tell me that you can't change a dogs natural jumping style, which I also believe, but I believe you can vastly improve it. You need the best econmical action, get them over the jump quickly and cleanly, but safely. The best jump shape in horses I think is the best in dogs as well. I also think that if they are intially taught to jump a little rounder, maybe clearing the jump by a reasonable amount as they get more confident and faster their jump will naturally flatten. So I teach a rounder jump first.

It was interesting for me playing, watching how my dog was jumping and then figuring out what I could do to shape it they way I wanted it. There was no seat, legs and reins to help tell the dog when I wanted her to take off, so therefore I had to think of exercises and distances between poles and jumps to help me produce the shape I wanted.

We didn't do a lot of trials before my Dobe was retired because of a spinal problem, but she never had a rail down, she did miss the odd thing and odd weave pole. That was due to her very novice handler though - the dog was fine.

The Whippets I have been a little slacker and need to get onto more grids as Rommi has a very unique jumping style!

I by knows means know as much as other agility people, there are some exceptional trainers especially on here. I just train in a way I think works and how I think will help my dog to perform well and stay as sound as possible for as long as possible.

I would love other people opinions on what they do with jumping as well. Maybe I will start another thread asking everone how they do it, I am quite sure there will be lots of great pointers :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure a photo always accurately depicts what is going on in regards to take off point

Here are 2 pics of Trim from the weekend

4896986808_45c219ba6b.jpg

4896993390_6757f88395.jpg

Both are correct. In the first she is in extension, in the 2nd she is in collection.

Pepe's jump style has always looked fine to me. I think he should go a bit slower though :(:mad

Edited by Vickie