I Think I Just Found Out Why Pepe Sometimes Knocks Bars.....

You might want to think about some jumps training - reshaping his jumping style for a later commitment point will assist with solving the issue and make his turns a lot tighter. :)

x2. I love the Susan Salo DVD's for this type of training - based in the horse world it actually teaches the dogs to jump and more importantly judge jumps.

You might want to think about some jumps training - reshaping his jumping style for a later commitment point will assist with solving the issue and make his turns a lot tighter. :)

x2. I love the Susan Salo DVD's for this type of training - based in the horse world it actually teaches the dogs to jump and more importantly judge jumps.

Yep, that's what I would have recommended.

Funny how in the horse world you'd never expect even the most experienced jumpers to jump a single bar at height... apparently in the USA agility jumps are usually filled too. Amazing what a defined groundline can do for some dogs jump styles.

Wow, does he still make it over!?!

He should do longjump ;)

Hey! Yeah usually he does but sometimes a bar comes down! I am amazed he made it through that tyre though!!

You might want to think about some jumps training - reshaping his jumping style for a later commitment point will assist with solving the issue and make his turns a lot tighter. :dummy:

Hi,

I have actually done the susan salo work and I have the DVD, there was an article recently in clean run about early take off syndrome which clearly stated that years of research indicated that a dog with ETS cannot be retrained and attempting to do lots of jumping drills and grid work will only make things worse, I think it was a bout 3 months ago, I'm too lazy to look it up right now but I can if you really want. There are videos on my youtube channel of us doing grid work. During initial training he was my first agility dog and I never trained jumping specifically so it is possible that this is what led to this behaviour in the first place, my dogs since have had no issues. Also pepe knock one bar every few months and we have trials practically every weekend so I don't think it is an issue, I just thought it would be interesting to post this as I was amazed how early he takes off...also he only knocked one of the bars in this photo, he cleared all the others, even the tyre, without a knock!

And after all agility is meant to be fun and I think pepe's crazy early take offs are part of his expression of love for agility and his need to go as fast as humanly (or should that be caninely :dummy:) possible :( I do not intend to change him and the way he loves to run just for some more wins (he wins most of the time anyway because he is so bloody fast lol)

And after all agility is meant to be fun and I think pepe's crazy early take offs are part of his expression of love for agility and his need to go as fast as humanly (or should that be caninely :dummy:) possible ;) I do not intend to change him and the way he loves to run just for some more wins (he wins most of the time anyway because he is so bloody fast lol)

Your dog, and your choice. :(

I've seen Pepe run and he's a missile alright.

Edited by poodlefan

have you? do I know you?? lol i hate when i know people on DOL but can't recognise them hehe

You probably don't. I'm from Canbera and used to run poodles.. until last year. All are retired now and I'm waiting for the Whippet to be ready to trial. :confused: If you trialed in Canberra this year, I've probably stewarded at CDC though.

Some shots of my dogs (poodles tend to jump well above bar height :laugh: :

LilyGoulburn.jpg

DarcyGoulburn.jpg

Edited by poodlefan

Crikey look at him go!

I thought I was going to have this problem with my youngest but she seems to be judging jumps better now as she's learning.

Love the photos Poodlefan! My 300 dog jumps a similar height to your two, clears the bars by a fair bit and has never dropped a bar:

100502-njpf-110.JPG

Not quite as high as this other Tenterfield that was at the Nationals though :D

100502-njpf-109.JPG

300 DOGS RULE!! :)

I was watching whippets running at the agility trial on the weekend and boy do they make the jumping look effortless! Just beautiful!

Lol Nikki Den and pepe should have a chat These are in sequenial order

http://tinadial.smugmug.com/PAWSNAP-PET-PH...3690_AX7Zr-M-LB

http://tinadial.smugmug.com/PAWSNAP-PET-PH...4180_zZQkw-M-LB

http://tinadial.smugmug.com/PAWSNAP-PET-PH...4651_YoWnP-M-LB

Hope those work but you get the idea.. I have done so much work on jumps and stuff with Den but the more I do the less confident he became so I stopped I would rather him knock a few bars and have a fast and confident round rather than no bars and be a slow poke seeking my approval the whole way round... maybe in a few months we'll try again but for now we're happy...

Amypie lol you think kyzer takes off

http://tinadial.smugmug.com/PAWSNAP-PET-PH...3996_rUVCo-A-LB

http://tinadial.smugmug.com/PAWSNAP-PET-PH...3683_CMnfg-A-LB

Sorry guys I havent brought my images yet so its click a link