Dog Quarantine Question

Guest RosieFT

Guest RosieFT

My parents' friends have just returned to Australia after working for the past few years in Africa and have literally been home only weeks and have been given the very sad news that their teenage daughter has bone cancer.

They are desperate to get her much loved poodle into Australia as quickly as they can. Prior to finding out about their daughter, it was to live in Singapore for 6months with family, then will come to Australian quarantine for 30days.

They are trying to find out if there is anyway to expediate the process for their daughter's sake. I didn't think so, but thought I would ask if anyone could help with their query.

Thanks.

I am sorry that your friends have had such tragic news. There is no way to fast track entry to Australia and nor should there be. Africa has diseases never seen in Australia and if it ended up here, the whole agricultural industry here would be decimated. It says 210 days from some places and not at all from others.

Guest RosieFT

I fully agree, and I have already told my dad that I doubted there would be. They were not looking to cheat the system, just wondering if they had the best way. eg. maybe if they came through NZ etc (but am sure they too would have as strict quarantine).

I am happy with our (mostly) disease free zone :-) , but felt I would ask on their behalf.

Fair enough. Going to another country won't shorten the quarantine. The only way it is useful is if the dog is coming from a place that is barred to import here. Even then, if you catch someone on the wrong day, they can still say no. AQIS would be a bit head shy after EI and what it did to horses.

Not from South Africa,the best option is the one they are doing where the dog has a home life.

They could certainly bring it in to Oz but it will serve all those months in quarantine.

Many who have opted the long term quarantine way have said never again.We have boarded a number of dogs who have done the 9 month process

I have friends who did the same option except theres went to the US for the residency then the 30 days

Edited by showdog

I fully agree, and I have already told my dad that I doubted there would be. They were not looking to cheat the system, just wondering if they had the best way. eg. maybe if they came through NZ etc (but am sure they too would have as strict quarantine).

I am happy with our (mostly) disease free zone :-) , but felt I would ask on their behalf.

We are even stricter than Aussie. Sorry!