Greyhound Giveaway On Adelaide Gumtree

GSD FAN

I contacted the owner to ask if they'd tried rehoming through Gap SA and here's the response I got:

Yes I have he didn't pass the intial small animal test and as so is not suitable for their program! I have socialized him with other dogs and he is fine with short haired dogs I've tested up to small stuffy size and he doesn't bother with them! I've tried several rescue places and none will take a greyhound! So if he's not rehomed by Saturday I'll have to put him down as I need the kennel :cry: and that is why I'm trying by advertising her and in the advertiser

It's quite sad as I think this person has tried to do the right thing, alot of greyhound owners just go straight the the vet for the 'green dream'.

This grey has been assessed as not small animal safe. I would listern to GAP before I listerned to the owner. To me the owner is playing on people's emotion's. They tried GAP and were told the dog is not suitable, they should PTS or keep him/her. They should not be trying to rehome the dog, pity the small fluffy it meets. They are not all suitable for rehoming.

+1

2) greys who've never known anything other than living in a racing kennel have to learn a lot to transition to a family home i.e. house training etc.

We've never had any issues with adjusting the greys to life in a house. They're less work (in terms of getting into things and "accidents") than puppies and even the more nervous dogs seem to adjust well to the change.

We've had one dog who'd been through five different homes and as soon as he moved himself into Panterka's house, it was as if he'd always been there.

Edited to add..

racing greys are usually kept on the lean side, once they become pets most can be fattened up

I'd be very wary of "fattening" up any dog, much less a greyhound.

They have long, thin bones that aren't designed to carry the terrible sort of weight you see on a lot of pet dogs. The two rear ribs showing is a good indicator of healthy weight; some people may not like skinnier dogs but it's kinder on the animal not to allow them to become overweight.

Edited by PokeyLittlePuppy

i think greys are the average families perfect pet, low maintenance, lazy, quite happy to laze around (mine havnt been walked for 2 days. Am i bad),

I met a greyhound for the first time last weekend. She was so lovely. I have these preconcieved ideas about big dogs like greyhounds and this dog completely proved me wrong. She and my 8 month old CKCS X loved each other and had a play and she was so friendly and gentle.

My fiance and I are considering a second rescue dog and I was so surprised when her owner told me what couch potatoes greyhounds are! I just assumed because of their racing background that they would need TONNES of exercise!

nothing worse then a fat greyhound, they look horrible. Mine are always ribby. Wish I could say the same about me :laugh:

One of mine has some winter booty at the moment and it looks awful, he is getting on a bit (almost 9 years old) but the last thing I want is for him to end up looking like a long-legged labrador*, fat greyhounds just look.. kind of sad.

I respect your opinion but we dont know exactly what happened at that test. It is most likely I will be the one to hold that dog as it dies (as I work for a clinic in the area) and as someone that works with greyhounds and has had to hold so many of them as they die I would like to see one less get put to sleep!

If the dog was tested by a GAP group and failed, I wouldn't rehome.

It's sad that a greyhound has to die but the reality is, if that greyhound was rehomed and went on to attack a small dog, you're negatively effecting the public's response to greyhounds and removing potential homes- which in turns means.. more greyhounds die. Just not worth it to save one dog that obviously shouldn't be rehomed.

Edit-

*No offense to the lab people, it's just a breed that (down here) often seem to be kept very overweight by pet owners.

Edited by PokeyLittlePuppy

Its always sad to see them put down and we dont know how it was tested, but that how it pans out sometimes. it would be great to save them all but its not always possible. I worked at an animal shelter 25 years ago and things where so different then, the amount of animals that were PTS was unbelievable

As much as it sounds horrible if the dog didn't pass acceptence into the GAP program there must be a reason.

Sometimes hard decisions have to be made.

Personally if it was my Grey I would prefer I held him for the last time while he went. It would be better than passing him on, someone's SWF may get severly damaged or killed and he may not pass with the love he otherwise would have.

I hate the thought of Euthing a perfectly happy healthy dog, but sometimes it is the kindest thing for the animal involved.

Part of being a responsible owner is being able to make and carry through on the hardest decisions. It is a privlidge.

I contacted the owner to ask if they'd tried rehoming through Gap SA and here's the response I got:

Yes I have he didn't pass the intial small animal test and as so is not suitable for their program! I have socialized him with other dogs and he is fine with short haired dogs I've tested up to small stuffy size and he doesn't bother with them! I've tried several rescue places and none will take a greyhound! So if he's not rehomed by Saturday I'll have to put him down as I need the kennel :D and that is why I'm trying by advertising her and in the advertiser

It's quite sad as I think this person has tried to do the right thing, alot of greyhound owners just go straight the the vet for the 'green dream'.

Yes I have he didn't pass the intial small animal test and as so is not suitable for their program! I have socialized him with other dogs and he is fine with short haired dogs I've tested up to small stuffy size and he doesn't bother with them! I've tried several rescue places and none will take a greyhound! So if he's not rehomed by Saturday I'll have to put him down as I need the kennel :D and that is why I'm trying by advertising her and in the advertiser

i would be keen on greyhound have u got more info.if shes still avaiable?:glenn20