Greyhound Giveaway On Adelaide Gumtree

GSD FAN

I contacted the owner to ask if they'd tried rehoming through Gap SA and here's the response I got:

Yes I have he didn't pass the intial small animal test and as so is not suitable for their program! I have socialized him with other dogs and he is fine with short haired dogs I've tested up to small stuffy size and he doesn't bother with them! I've tried several rescue places and none will take a greyhound! So if he's not rehomed by Saturday I'll have to put him down as I need the kennel :cry: and that is why I'm trying by advertising her and in the advertiser

It's quite sad as I think this person has tried to do the right thing, alot of greyhound owners just go straight the the vet for the 'green dream'.

My very worst memory of working in a major SA Shelter is of a white greyhound called ICY, who had never raced and was a pet. He was the sweetest, most gentle boy I ever met and he didn't deserve to die. He was handed over for some reason and back then they euthed all greyhounds, all of us staff rallied for him but in the end the Shelter Manager and CEO euthed him themselves anyway. It was a callous, horrible experience one that will haunt me forever.

Call me naive but what is soo bad about greys?? I know people on Dol will say nothing but why are they soo hard to rehome? and why were they all put to sleep previously?

I personally dont like the "look"(just my opinion) of them but have never had the opurtunity to meet one to assses there personality..

gily

It is because of two reasons:

1) the breed has a strong prey drive to catch and kill small furry creatures like rabbits, guinea pigs, SWFs - this was the original function of the breed

2) greys who've never known anything other than living in a racing kennel have to learn a lot to transition to a family home i.e. house training etc.

It is because of two reasons:

1) the breed has a strong prey drive to catch and kill small furry creatures like rabbits, guinea pigs, SWFs - this was the original function of the breed

2) greys who've never known anything other than living in a racing kennel have to learn a lot to transition to a family home i.e. house training etc.

Thanks..

To me they both sound like pretty crappy reason to pts... I understand that not all dogs can be rehomed due to agression reasons, but in the case of greys it sucks.. They were breed and trained to do something then they get punished for doing what is natural to them..

Well done to all grey foster careres who are making the time and effort to help you breed... :cry:

I think they are hard to rehome because of the misconceptions that the general public has about them eg they must be vicious because they wear a muzzle, and they are race dogs so they must need lots of exercise (nothing is further from the truth lol!). Also, i just think that when most people think about getting a pet dog, the idea of getting a greyhound would never enter their heads.

I think they are hard to rehome because of the misconceptions that the general public has about them eg they must be vicious because they wear a muzzle, and they are race dogs so they must need lots of exercise (nothing is further from the truth lol!). Also, i just think that when most people think about getting a pet dog, the idea of getting a greyhound would never enter their heads.

yeah what is with the muzzle? Is that because of their prey drive?

I have have fostered greys that have been out of racing for only a week and they usually adjust so well to home life. House training is easy and they are funny to watch when they see TV for the first time, sometimes walk into windows etc. They soon find a comfy place to sleep and settle. I think a lot of people think they are aggressive because they have to wear a muzzle and that they need heaps of exercise , but that is far from the truth, my JRT is more likely to bite me than one of the greys (and I have fostered over 20). They are generally a very placid and lazy dog. They only have a short racing life, until 4 or 5, and so then they are rehomed to make room for more dogs

I contacted the owner to ask if they'd tried rehoming through Gap SA and here's the response I got:

Yes I have he didn't pass the intial small animal test and as so is not suitable for their program! I have socialized him with other dogs and he is fine with short haired dogs I've tested up to small stuffy size and he doesn't bother with them! I've tried several rescue places and none will take a greyhound! So if he's not rehomed by Saturday I'll have to put him down as I need the kennel :cry: and that is why I'm trying by advertising her and in the advertiser

It's quite sad as I think this person has tried to do the right thing, alot of greyhound owners just go straight the the vet for the 'green dream'.

This grey has been assessed as not small animal safe. I would listern to GAP before I listerned to the owner. To me the owner is playing on people's emotion's. They tried GAP and were told the dog is not suitable, they should PTS or keep him/her. They should not be trying to rehome the dog, pity the small fluffy it meets. They are not all suitable for rehoming.

:cry: lynda

In some states the old laws about greyhounds wearing muzzles have not been repealed yet. However in other states they do not have to be muzzled. Many greyhounds are no more aggressive than any other dogs. Before I had greys I used to have JRTs and they also have a very high prey drive and one of mine killed a pet rabbit (long story). But I doubt that greys are any more 'dangerous' than many other breeds.

On the flip side, I have fostered quite a few greyhounds, and there were two that I did not rehome, but very sadly had them euthanased, as I believe that they would have killed a small fluffy dog if given the chance.

But I have also had a couple of crossbreed fosters PTS as well for the same reason.

Edited by Daisy

I had never ginve greyhounds a second thought as a pet but after meeting some sweet, gorgeous ones I would love to have one one day. I like the look of those that have a little more meat on them. I have one of them at my work. It barely resembles a greyhound but has the same personality. Actually she's a bit cheeky.