Lip Curling

Snout Girl

I can't say how many BCs we have met at dog parks that resource guard their balls. Almost every one would be my guess. It seems typical of the breed to me.

True, unless you are my girl who gives her toys to any other dog who approaches - just in case. :thumbsup:

That said, this is exactly why I don't take my BC's to dog parks. They are VERY serious about their toys or in fact any work they might be doing - anyone who interrupts is in trouble. I wouldn't put too much stock in the dog park incident, but would also not be letting your pup play with toys around other dogs - they are a resource and will more than likely be guarded.

This is one of my BCs exactly. She just tolerates my other BC with her balls but no other dog - we never go to a dog park when other dogs are there.

Otherwise she really likes dogs.

Good to know! Keep it up. I can't see these things happening if the human is the leader!

I would be stunned and shocked if my dog lip curled at me, I call the shots.

You would be stunned and shocked, but any owner should be stopping and thinking about why their dog feels they need to warn that they are uncomfortable with what is happening to them.

:thumbsup:

If one of my dogs curled their lip at me I might be shocked, but I would be shocked at how this could have happened without me seeing the warning signs and doing something about it already. Some dogs are a bit more "outspoken" than others, but that doesn't mean they necessarily need stronger leadership or don't respect their owners. It just means they dare to tell you when you've pissed them off. Personally, I like outspoken dogs. Sometimes I need a neon sign that says "STOP" to realise that my dog is so not comfortable with what I'm doing. It's just not a huge deal to address that one thing the dog is being outspoken about so they come to like it and don't feel a need to tell you to stop anymore. I think it doesn't help them to have people decide ulterior motives for their behaviour. It doesn't have to be a deeper, more complex problem. It may just be the dog REALLY doesn't like that. Don't we owe it to them to respect THEM when they are trying to tell us something?