Channel 7 News Tongiht

Poodlecrazy

so did u guys see where they were talking about it from ?? :rofl::( A Pet shop where they sell puppies ! :)

Yep. :rofl:

But I have to say the new legislations they were thinking about bringing in are a good idea; not being able to sell sick puppies and raising the minimum age of sale from 7 weeks to 8 weeks of age.

Getting ready to be flamed but...The govt should not have allowed puppy farms in the first place. The legislation that's in place isn't enough for the RSPCA to do anything. Pet shops should not be allowed to sell live animals. Breeders should have to have a licence. Any puppy sold should be vaccd, wormed, microchipped & desexed. There is NO excuse for not desexing your pet. People need to think about the decisions they're making, no just as far as pets go but things like where their meat comes from if they eat it & other food etc.

Found it interesting that the bloke who spoke about the poor condition of the pups bought one anyway! That's how these people stay in business! People I know bought a pup from him years ago, they had it a week, it got sick & later died after them spending mega $$ at the vet.

When will it end??

Getting ready to be flamed but...The govt should not have allowed puppy farms in the first place. The legislation that's in place isn't enough for the RSPCA to do anything. Pet shops should not be allowed to sell live animals. Breeders should have to have a licence. Any puppy sold should be vaccd, wormed, microchipped & desexed. There is NO excuse for not desexing your pet. People need to think about the decisions they're making, no just as far as pets go but things like where their meat comes from if they eat it & other food etc.

Found it interesting that the bloke who spoke about the poor condition of the pups bought one anyway! That's how these people stay in business! People I know bought a pup from him years ago, they had it a week, it got sick & later died after them spending mega $$ at the vet.

When will it end??

I haven't been able to watch the segment as I am still at work. But I agree with your comments.

I would even go as far as to saying that we should apply for licenses to be a pet owner. I think we should have to prove that we have the means to look after an animal... And we should have to present this 'license' of sorts, upon purchase of the pet - from a person who should return the favour by flashing theirs. How many stories do we hear of dogs wandering the streets, escaping etc... ending up in the pound?! If nothing else, this might slow up those impulse purchases from pet shops.

And obviously this needs to be enforced, which I think is the hard thing to do. The RSPCA, police or some other body needs to have authority to intervene where required.

While I don't agree with puppy farms, I don't think they are entirely to blame. People who purchase any animal have a responsibility to it, like a child. You can't just walk away from it, regardless of the issues. If people chose to purchase a dog that is from a puppy farm, pet shop, BYB etc, they have to be willing to accept the possible ramifications (be it health or behavioural issues). You don't adopt a child and send it back if you decide a year later you don't like it!!!

I guess what I am trying to say, is people need to start taking responsibility for themselves and their actions, instead of passing the blame. Ignorance is not a defense.

Its a step in the right direction but won't stop puppy farms.

I think puppies should only be sold from the breeders home.

That would just about cover most aspects, like if they were kept badly or sick people would know, recognise this & walk away.

They also have the choice to report to RSPCA etc if there was anything amiss, they already have more than enough power to act for neglect & abuse.

Not keen on the idea of licensing breeders, registered ones would have more rules & non reg would just ignore it & breed.

Who would set the criteria ?

Who would be allowed to apply for it ?

What kind of dogs would they be allowed to breed ?

Not much faith in the powers/authorities for this decision.

May just make more cross breeder/commercial breeders more creditable to the general public.

ETA

People have to have a license to drive on the road, are they all responsible drivers ?

Edited by Christina

When will it end??

Is this aimed at general dog owners or everyone?

I think it is at least a start

we all know most pet shops buy their pups at 6 weeks not vaccinated to sell on impluse with the cute factor

I personally do not think this will stop g--y he has been at way to long and will find away around it

hopefully I'm wrong

I think it is at least a start

we all know most pet shops buy their pups at 6 weeks not vaccinated to sell on impluse with the cute factor

I personally do not think this will stop g--y he has been at way to long and will find away around it

hopefully I'm wrong

I think you'll find many petshops buy them even younger. :):

When will it end??

I agree 100% with everything you say except for the part about mandatory desexing. There are too many dogs being put to sleep every year, and don't think I'm not aware of it. That said, I have never had a desexed dog, I have never had a dog breed and I would hate for desexing to become mandatory. I believe there are valid excuses for not desexing your pet, and whilst there are several documents on this topic, one that I think sums it up quite well (if anyone is interested) is http://users.lavalink.com.au/theos/Spay-neuter.htm

Broadly speaking, it provides an introduction to the immense amount of conflicting information out there regarding desexing and basically concludes that if you feel the need to desex your pet, you should at least wait until they are at least a year old as that minimises some of the potential negative side-effects of the procedure whilst not altering the potential positive effects.

That said, I still tell just about everyone I meet to desex their dogs, because I know too many will be tempted to breed them or not stringent enough to prevent accidental matings. But I would never support the notion that it should be mandatory. Financial incentives are fine, but whilst the jury is still out, we should not be forced to do something that I believe would be to the detriment of the animal.

When will it end??

Dont all dogs over the age of three months have to be registered?? Are puppy farmers excempt? It gives me th sh#*ts that the rules are in place but not enforsed and we just keep making more rules to penalise responsible owners and breeders and ignored by the puppy farms and BYB :laugh: