De-sexing Male Dogs?

Remarkabull

Could someone please explain to me the potential risks of not waiting until the dog is fully grown? People have been saying that the testosterone helps with the growth etc, but what can actually go wrong with desexing earlier? Can it cause joint problems etc?

I am asking because my vet reccomended that we get our male GR desexed at 6 months, so we were going to go along with that....

If you're interested and have a bit of time, this is an article I found helpful when making the same decision as you.

Incidentally, I have chosen to leave my male undesexed as he does not have any sexual/hormone related issues that desexing would be likely to impact upon.

http://users.lavalink.com.au/theos/Spay-neuter.htm

Thanks jacqui835, that was very interesting.

And thanks to everyone else that replied. All of my other dogs are desexed so there is no issue with having him remain entire in this household (no chance of 'accidental' matings). If we have any issues arise I might try the implant and see if that makes any difference before surgical castration, otherwise I'm happy for him to stay as nature intended. OH breathed a big sigh of relief and is grateful to DOLers for their imput! :laugh: