Cow Hooves

Hi there,

we have been given a bag of cow hooves and my dogs absolutely love them. However, I am a bit worried how safe they are for dogs and have so far only given them one each.

Not only do they stink ( the hooves and also the dogs after chewing them ;)) but they also seem to be extremely hard.

So please, any experiences or opinions on cow hooves for dogs?

Orbit's had a couple and loves them. They last forever too! Not something I'd do regularly, but as a one off treat here and there, I doubt they'd be any trouble.

I know horse hoof trimmings are always a favourite with dogs after shoeing and have never caused a problem for those who've eaten them either..

Orbit's had a couple and loves them. They last forever too! Not something I'd do regularly, but as a one off treat here and there, I doubt they'd be any trouble.

I know horse hoof trimmings are always a favourite with dogs after shoeing and have never caused a problem for those who've eaten them either..

Thanks, my two hang around when the horses are done as well to snack on the hoof trimmings. But I'm somehow more relaxed with that. Fresh hoof trimmings just don't seem quite so hard and brittle.

Does your dog also bites whole bits of the hooves?

We love cow hooves, here. They come out when me and OH want some time to ourselves. Wouldn't ever let them chew on them when we aren't nearby, though. They get down to a size and malleability where they can get stuck in the roof of the dog's mouth between the two rows of teeth. It happened to Erik one day. So ours only get them under supervision and they go in the bin when they get small.