White Boxer Pups Ad In Paper

spottychick

Having had a dog owned by family with cancer , I would not wish this on any animal. how do you know that the new owner will accept when the animal has no more joy in life and is living in pain to do the right thing , with a stoic dog like a boxer will the owner even be aware of how sick they have become in order to end the pain for them ?

Is it right to sell someone a puppy with a very high probability of dying in pain and young ?

Is it right to sell a puppy that may be breed from that will pass on these issues with a much higher chance than what is normal for the breed ?

If this puppy were bloodstock what would be the outcome ?

I do not like culling , but sometimes it is the kindest and best outcome ,

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having had a dog owned by family with cancer , I would not wish this on any animal. how do you know that the new owner will accept when the animal has no more joy in life and is living in pain to do the right thing , with a stoic dog like a boxer will the owner even be aware of how sick they have become in order to end the pain for them ?

Is it right to sell someone a puppy with a very high probability of dying in pain and young ?

Is it right to sell a puppy that may be breed from that will pass on these issues with a much higher chance than what is normal for the breed ?

FWIW, I do agree and I cull where *I* think necessary.

BUT....on the flipside....who are YOU to decree that others wouldn't do the same as you or feel the same way that you do? Provided full disclosure is given at the time of sale, the onus is on the purchaser to take responsibility. I feel sure that most reputable and responsible dog breeders would screen their purchasers to ensure the best outcome for all.

I assume you actully ment that the dog had cancer not the family.

Sure the dog may be deaf but that is no reason to cull.

There is no evidence to suggest that white boxers have any higher incidence of having cancer than any of the other colours in the breed. It is just a colour after all. Unless i've missed something? ;) Is there eveidence to back up your claim that white boxers are more susceptible to anything other than deafness? If there is i would like to see it.

the deaf boxer also has melanomas , the risk of cancer in white boxers is much higher than in other colours , yes the dog had cancer brain affected was PTS when she was 5 poor thing

I agree that deaf is not unmanageable and can live a normal life but the high cancer risks ?

My Friend had a white boxer with an eye patch, black pigment and brown eyes. He had no health problems caused by the fact he was white.

If a person has all the available info regarding White Boxers, how can selling them a puppy to cover some cost be negligent? they know what they are in for.

I have only ever seen onw HWite Boxer who had pinky coloured eyes. She had a bit of a screw loose, but as her owner did I didn't put it down to genetics. All the other ones I have known have had fully pigmented noses and eye rims, and brown eyes.

How is that any different to numerous other breeds who can be White, with or without small patches of colour, but also have pigment and brown eyes?

There is no evidence to suggest that white boxers have any higher incidence of having cancer than any of the other colours in the breed. It is just a colour after all. Unless i've missed something? ;) Is there eveidence to back up your claim that white boxers are more susceptible to anything other than deafness? If there is i would like to see it.

I was told (by a boxer breeder many years ago) that white boxers can get skin cancer because it's the colour (ie red/brindle etc) that protects their skin from sun damage. Don't understand how that works, but that was what we were told.

I was told (by a boxer breeder many years ago) that white boxers can get skin cancer because it's the colour (ie red/brindle etc) that protects their skin from sun damage. Don't understand how that works, but that was what we were told.

I would think that is true but not boxer specific. As Rommi n Lewis pointed out it can happen to any dog that is predominately white.

A few people I know think its trendy to have a white boxer because they are "so rare".

they are very rare because many are PTS as they can be both deaf and blind, and sun is awful for them - many cancers and sunburns..

White is simply a colour in boxers, as it is in most other breeds - ie, bull terriers and bulldogs, to name a couple. Some of the original dogs which were the founders of the breed were white.

It is not a colour which is acceptable for main registration. White dogs are more prone to melanomas than dark ones, but dark dogs are more prone to histiosarcomas - and brain tumours are not decided by colour.

White boxers may be deaf, due to the white spotting gene. Pups should be tested, preferably Bauer tested, prior to sale. Cattle dogs and dalmations may also be born deaf.

I do not know of any white boxers which are genetically or congenitally blind.

Some breeders are very anti white boxers, some are not.

There are a lot of myths and rumours abounding, and anyone interested in white boxers should do some serious research, past the Vic boxer club site, which is anti white boxers.

White boxers used to be reasonably rare, because ethical breeders did not want to produce them in litters, as they were not registerable - and there was more possibility they would be deaf than coloured boxers. Since the increase in BYB and foolish people who are attempting to breed white, there are now more available - and it is not a rare colour.

I have seen no evidence that white boxers are more prone to disease (apart from melanomas, as all white dogs) or live shorter or less healthy lives than brindle or fawn boxers.

And white boxer pups are usually sold by reputable breeders for less than coloured pups, and with a heads up about possible problems. They should not be bred from, because (a) white is not a registerable colour and (b) there is the possibility of spreading deafness through the general boxer population. I would assume that anyone breeding with white boxers would not give a toss whether they were producing deaf boxers or not.

Whether to cull or sell is the decision of the breeder, really, depending on their outlook and ethos.

My brother has a white boxer - he has one blue eye and one brown and he actually sourced him from NZ as he specifically wanted white :cry: Not my cup of tea but hey - to each his / her own

He does have to sunscreen him every day :D

Okies.....DEFINITELY a typo! Poor guy said that he had somebody ring him on Saturday night and abuse him. He had no idea why, thought they may have been drinking or something but when he got hold of the paper and saw what his ad said, he rang the paper and apparently they are going to give him his money back.

As per TCA regs, the white males were registered on Limited Registration. :cry:

The TCA are not abiding by ANKC regulations.

"6.2.4 The registration of White Boxers is NOT permitted on any register. (05/05)"

The regulation applies to all states and as breeders are not allowed to sell unregistered puppies, it is therefore against the regulations to sell white Boxers.

Okies.....DEFINITELY a typo! Poor guy said that he had somebody ring him on Saturday night and abuse him. He had no idea why, thought they may have been drinking or something but when he got hold of the paper and saw what his ad said, he rang the paper and apparently they are going to give him his money back.

As per TCA regs, the white males were registered on Limited Registration. :cry:

The TCA are not abiding by ANKC regulations.

"6.2.4 The registration of White Boxers is NOT permitted on any register. (05/05)"

The regulation applies to all states and as breeders are not allowed to sell unregistered puppies, it is therefore against the regulations to sell white Boxers.

I don't think that regulation applies to all states.

It applies to mine, but as far as I am aware, the white boxers can be put on limited register in some other state/s.

And you may like to check with the CC about the regulations regarding the sale of white boxers. In the states where they are not registerable, there is no fault for any breeder selling them. This was discussed at great length on here a few years ago too, if you would like to see it.

Wow - who knew my idle curiousity would result in such an interesting thread.

This may sound like a stupid question but if they are not supposed to be sold - is it regarded as all right to give them away?

I ask because in the same pet classifieds there was a 1 yr old lab being given away by a registered breeder because he (as it turned out when I rang to ask) is deaf. Is this regarded as good practice by breeders? IE giving away dogs that are not allowed to be sold or have some kind of "issue".

If not, what "should" the breeder do with dogs that fall foul of these rules?

PS It is so nice to see you posting on topics of interest to you again jed!!! :cry: