Humping

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont allow it as Bonnie would snap and Indie would be terrified(undo alot of trust training) if I let another dog hump them. Neither of my dogs are humpers except when we are doing drive training with Bonnie. I lock Indie away because as soon as Bonnie starts her drive training and has full focus on her job/anything in her mouth Indie will try and hump her. She is so focused or will have her mouth full so Indie knows she cant bite him but the growls she gives him are shocking. Very rarely she will divert her focus to him, in which case he gets severly told off by her, does not appricate him interupting her. He also tries to mount her if she reacts to a strange dog coming near our property,in which case he gets severly told off instantly by her. Telling him "no" will stop him but sometimes Bonnie beats me to it, hence he is now locked away when we train.

Never go to the offleash park with Bonnie now as almost every dog used to hump her, she was extremly submissive but since her mood change there is absolutly no way I would let another dog try and hump her. Lest there would be one less dog at the dog park.

:rofl: "Humping" is a normal dog behaviour!

Do you really think you can stop it!......Yes, you can train your dog to do behaviours to distract him/her when they are doing normal canine behaviours that you may not like. ie Come, sit, look at me!

My dogs take turns in humping each other....usually the bitches! one of my bitches will hump my male as well. I don't have have a problem with it & I certainly don't watch them 24hrs a day!

They don't do this behaviour away from the home, I keep my dogs out of others dogs faces whilst at the off lead park. I just assumed that was good canine/owner manners. :D

Charlie only humps his big stuff duck toy but when he gets excited and it's just for a few seconds, and he doesn't do that often.

Emmy doesn't hump, i think she tried it once and she never again (the look on her face was hilarious it was as though 'what the hell am i doing?')

Our desexed bitches find it highly offensive any dog who tried to do this to them would be told well and truly , my old entire male will Air hump when the neighbours bitches come in season and sniff with vain hope at my rottie , but does not try to mount them .

So long as it is not people I am not too fussed , but my dogs think it is bad manners LOL , the old boy does not have any dogs try not sure why perhaps he gives off a dont you dare .

No, not allowed here. Have just had my sons entire Rotty up for weekend who tried to hump my wolfhound (also entire), put a stop to that quick and lively!

Thats the last thing I needed was those two having a go!!!!!!!

Oh dear!! Poor Riley. Poor you!xxx

My two are desexed females. One will try and hump the other occassionally. She gets NO! and stops. She is bossy and the other is very soft, so I dont allow it, give bossy boots and inch and she will take advantage of it.

I do not want her to ever try it on someone else either, or she may get a BIG shock when the dog retaliates :rofl:

I've never had any other dogs who hump.

Mason only used to hump his soft toys as a pup when he got excited. He then progressed to always humping his brothers when they meet up and i strong discouraged it. Yesterday we were at the beach and he was a humping a strange dog that he just met, I pulled him off and made him have a time out. My dog is not dominant at all and will submit to other dogs so I have no idea why he humps.

my ACDX has started to hump outrageously in his old age. He has always been the most even of dogs but now that he has a very bad knee and more recently a bad heart he has started this behaviour. even small puppies!!

I can only assume he is trying to dominate the weaker ones because he has no chance any more. When he was well he didn't have to do it and never did. It is also stupid of him as it hurts his knee everytime but being the middle aged bloke that he is he doesn't seem to learn!

It's a communication tool for dogs, I don't stop it at home and have never owned a dog that tried it on strange dogs or humans.

I think those bad mannered dogs who hump at the dog park etc. deserve the telling off they get from the assaulted dog but these owners are the types that will say your dog attacked theirs and want to report you - so I intervene before my dogs have to.

My boys do it occasionally. I have always discouraged it but mostly because I don't want Spartan to injure James (HD). Ari will occasionally also do it (to poor James again) always leading up to or around her season.

I have been told by a few different breeders that discouraging it in males intended for Stud can often confuse them when it comes time to actually mate, but it didn't seem to stop Charlie :laugh: Charlie is probably one of the worst humpers that I know of. He likes to corner and hump violently and doesn't listen to the protesting dog. He seems to lack the social manners in that department. We certainly discourage him and he has never even attempted it in public (except females in season!)

I can only assume he is trying to dominate the weaker ones because he has no chance any more. When he was well he didn't have to do it and never did. It is also stupid of him as it hurts his knee everytime but being the middle aged bloke that he is he doesn't seem to learn!

How old is he? Animals with dementia act weird. There's a DOLer who is studying dementia in dogs. Assuming I remember correctly, I believe dogs with dementia have the part of their brain that would normally tell them what is appropriate and what isn't deteriorate, so they do things they would normally be inhibited to do and just don't realise it's inappropriate.

Alternatively, if he is not feeling as strong as he used to it's possible that he's feeling social tension or anxiety in situations where he didn't used to. If I were right about humping sometimes coming up in response to social anxiety, that is.