Iams/euk Recall In Usa And Canada

Wonder if this will affect Australia too?

CINCINNATI, July 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --The Procter & Gamble Company (P&G) (NYSE: PG) is voluntarily expanding its recall to include veterinary and some specialized dry pet food as a precautionary measure because it has the potential to be contaminated with salmonella. No salmonella-related illnesses have been reported.

The following dry pet food products are included:

Iams Veterinary Dry Formulas

Eukanuba Naturally Wild

Eukanuba Pure

Eukanuba Custom Care Sensitive Skin

The affected products are sold in veterinary clinics and specialty pet retailers throughout the United States and Canada. No canned food, biscuits/treats or supplements are affected by this announcement. A full listing of UPC codes can be found at www.iams.com.

These products are made in a single, specialized facility. In cooperation with FDA, P&G determined that some products made at this facility have the potential for salmonella contamination. As a precautionary measure, P&G is recalling all products made at this facility.

Consumers who have purchased the specific dry pet foods listed should discard them. People handling dry pet food can become infected with Salmonella, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with surfaces exposed to this product. Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.

Pets with Salmonella infections may have decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. If left untreated, pets may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

Well we've just been told to pull our Euk Vet Lines off the shelf so seems the recall is occurring here.

I spoke to the rep about it all and I guess what she said is true - its good to know they have the quality control to be able to pick up on this. Apparently they test their food in the factory every 20mins for these sorts of problems.

The really funny thing is that just a couple of days ago our Euk rep held one of their training days with us with regards to their Response F/P and convinced us to buy a few bags of it to keep on shelf. Now we have to pull it :laugh:

Meanwhile Petstock is having a Sale on their Iams products :laugh:

Actually in clinics we only got the fax at lunchtime here so I'm betting they will be off the shelf pretty soon.

Problem is that in clinics we can generally track all our food sales to our clients- they can't do that unless clients are on a loyalty scheme or get an email newsletter.

I really wouldn't worry. Most dogs would encounter salmonella bacteria and not show symptoms at all. They bury meat and dig it up to eat when it's manky and gross. I think their main concern is human infection, from touching possibly infected kibble.

We just received a letter that Euk Vet Diets, Naturally Wild - Turkey varieties and Custom Care Sensitive Skin are being recalled here.

Do you know what date ranges are affected here?

ETA this is the link to US page

http://www.iams.com/iams/en_US/data_root/h...ll_message.html

Maybe it would be the same dates here, if all the stuff is made overseas and imported?

Edited by kamuzz

Ours was pulled off shelf as well, as of today.

Ours as well.

Christina yours is fine, in the cat varieties it is only the Iams Veterinary Lines.

We actually contacted any customer that had bought any of the recalled products to let them know it has been recalled.

bugger i had only bought some naturally wild salmon for my dog a short time ago and was in the process for changing over from what i was feeding. have now exchanged it for a bag of canidae, have heard good things about that product and my boy doesn't really dea lwith with corn and wheat in his diet. so hopefully it works out well.

it is pretty disgraceful that this has taken a week to get here and that this is the second time the company has had to recall products-what the hell is going on in that factory where these things crop up more than once? hmm, i was reticent about feeding euk and now dont think i shall return to it.

Euk run testing on their foods every 20min in the factory. I get that its not desirable to have this, but lets face it, it's not a major problem really and atleast they found about it and decided to voluntarily recall the possibly affected lines.

I'm not trying to promote Euk in any way, but atleast they're doing the quality control so often and acting on it - I wonder how many other companies do such rigorous checks?

i get that stormie, and i would rather brands do testing to ensure everything is fine-at least this proves they do that. although i stand by the fact that i find it concerning that the euk factory/s have had a problme more than once in the past few years-i'm not saying they're slack but i am saying that two issues relatively close together is a bit of a concern.

however, as i don't think i said well enough previously, my real issue is that the pet supplies store i bought the food from only heard about this last night, post-5pm closing time and so started calling poeple this mronign to bring in their food for a swap. this was known about at least a week ago in the US and as they ship it all over the world pretty darn quick they should also be able to get the word out a bit quicker that the product is not suitable for consumption, or more importantly, handling by people. i use my dry dog food as a treat/reward at the dog park and for training so i handle it everyday. if i got salmonella symptoms today, when they could have recalled the product 5-6 days ago in australia then i could probably take them to court. i wouldn't and in the end, as long as everyone is healthy and fine who cares?-but the issue isn't so much that they've had an issue but that they've had one before and it still took them 7 days to get a recall in place in aus. that is poor management and communications, something that such a large company should have steps in place to deal with in this kind of situation.