Help From Nsw Dog Owners

Rotties Rock

Not unless the soft crate is then properly secured to the floor etc.

One of the reasons for harnessing laws is so the dog doesn't become a projectile in an accident. If the dog is in a crate that isn't secured.. then both dog AND crate become a projectile... even more dangerous.

From page 152 of the NSW RTA handbook for drivers:

Animals and vehicles

there are things you should know about travelling with

animals in vehicles and what to do following an incident

with an animal.

ANImAL WeLFAre

Every year many crashes involving animals occur on country roads. If you see an

animal on the road (alive or dead), do not swerve violently to avoid the animal as

this can cause you to lose control of your vehicle or to hit oncoming traffic. You

should stop if you can do so safely or slow down and steer around the animal in a

controlled manner.

If you can’t avoid the animal safely you may have to hit it to avoid injury or death

to yourself and others.

If the animal has been killed, remove it from the road if it is safe to do so. Be

careful with native animals as they may have babies in their pouches.

If a native animal has been hurt you should contact the Wildlife and Information

Rescue Service (WIRES).

If the animal is a domestic pet, you must contact the owner, Police or the RSPCA.

If the animal is injured you should take it immediately to the nearest animal shelter

or vet.

rULeS ArOUND ANImALS

A driver, motorcycle rider, bicycle rider or passenger must not lead an animal,

including by tethering, while the vehicle is moving. Animals should be seated or

housed in appropriate areas.

A driver must not drive with an animal in the driver’s lap.

My bolding.

My dog is usually in her crate in the boot area of my AWD.

From other googling it seems there is testing happening regarding restraints such as harnesses and whether their design is suitable in impact situations.

I posted this back in October when the issue was discussed.

It is Rule 297 of the Road Rules and it came into effect on 1 July 2008. The rule relates to having proper control of the vehicle.

Sub Rule 1A states that a person must not drive a vehicle if a person or animal is in the driver's lap.

Funnily enough there is a whole Division of the Rules for people in charge of animals and there is nothing there about restraining a dog in the backseat.

I cannot find anything else in the Rules which talks about unrestrained dogs aside from Rule 297.

So - you dog can be unrestrained in the backseat or in a soft crate.

The reason for the change re dogs in lap was around drivers being distracted while driving.

Needless to say it is prudent to ensure that you put in place some measures to ensure your dog does not become a missile in the event of an accident.

Edited by Danois

I wrote to the Parlimentary Office and asked in March this year. This was their response:

Clause 297 of the Road Rules 2008 provides that a driver must have proper control of a vehicle. This might extend to making sure animals are properly restrained and are not distracting the driver. NSW Parliamentary Counsel's Office

For more specifics, look at Road Rules 2008 Legislation Rule 297 (1A). Basically it comes down to having effective control of the vehicle and a clear view.

Road Rules 2008

Current version for 16 July 2010 to date

Part 18. Division 1. Rule 297

297 Driver to have proper control of a vehicle etc

(1) A driver must not drive a vehicle unless the driver has proper control of the vehicle.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

And this, taken from the RTA website:

VIEW & CONTROL

Drive motor vehicle with person or animal in lap

Fine: $344

Demerit points: 3

more if you are in a school zone.

Thank you to all who answered my question, I always have my dogs harnessed or crated as 40+kg of rottie could be very dangerous in a accident. I am not sure I can secure the soft crate to the floor, so have some thinking to do before our trip. Sorry for the late responce lost my boy and was finding it hard to come on line. RIP my beautiful Zac. Only one beautiful rottie will be making the trip.