Help!

mumsy

I have spoken to our vet and they are confident all is okay. We worked on type of chocolate, weight and age of dog and amount of chocolate. Still vigilant in watching for any symptoms.

My 50Kg dog ate 2 slabs of 400g chocs , foil wrapper sand all, she was fine, didnt even get an upset stomach or anything. Now my lab who is a very sensitive dog, if he had to eat that he would probably end up very ill.

My dog just ate about 400gm cadbury chocolate.

Should I be worried?

I have a dog that's eaten lots of chocolate (ALL STOLEN!! GRR!) in her life.

Never had issues, but it did scare the life outta me. I am VERY paranoid

about it now. I think it's one of those things that affects each individual

animal differently.

If you're not comfortable taking him/her to the on-call or emergency vet, I guess you could

"wait and see"... but that approach is of course fraught with the

possibility that he/she may get very ill.

For future reference I have found that Lectric Soda crystals (bought from a

supermarket and stored in airtight container in the fridge) work very well

to make a dog throw up when it has eaten stolen goods. This method was used

by a vet I visited when Sally had eaten rat poison and was extremely

effective. All you do is keep feeding crystals (same as you feed a dog a

tablet) every minute or so until you get a result. It's very quick and far

less distressing than using salty water or peroxide liquid, I think.

Here's some information about chocolate toxicity & the symptoms.

https://www.vetconnect.com.au/5min/data/04400441.htm

Hope he's/she's ok.

Sonia

I have spoken to our vet and they are confident all is okay. We worked on type of chocolate, weight and age of dog and amount of chocolate. Still vigilant in watching for any symptoms.

Good work! Make sure when you do call talk to a vet, not a nurse. If I had listened to the nurse, my dog would have been dead. He got into 140g of Dark chocolate which was enough for a lethal dose to a 22kg dog. But I insisted on talking to the vet and she told me to bring him down...he got to the stage of loosing coordination in the waiting room before he started to throw the chocolate up. It was very scary watching him just flop to the floor every time he tried moving.

From what I recall my vet saying, a 1/4 ounce of dark chocolate per 1kg of weight is a potentially lethal dose.

The :thumbsup: still hasnt learnt his lesson and has a bad obsession with chocolate.

My staffy ate a family block of Macadamia nut chocolate - double toxins - by the time we got him to the vet he was losing the ability to stand - he was about 12 - luckily the vet was able to flush it out of his system

washing soda, usually in the laundry powder section of the supermarket.

Except the last supermarket I checked (woolies?) only had powdery stuff not crystals. No good.

It is highly alkaline, and one crystal was enough to make my dog give back the gladwrap sandwich she'd eaten. So you really don't want to give any more than absolutely necessary.

I've read somewhere someone giving their dog syrup of ipycak (scuse spellin) which is what used to be given to children after she'd bitten mum's finger when mum tried to make the kid vomit after she ate some "fairy mushrooms" growing in the front yard. I'm not sure if that stuff is ok to give a dog or not.

But the quicker you get it to vomit the better off you are where contraband is involved.