Bad Behaviour

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to chastise Oscar when he pulls the clothes of the line, and wrecks pot plants, he has only just started pulling clothes off the line, I would try and ignore it but it is so wet and muddy here at the momen't, and he starts chewing the clothes if I let him go.

I dont want to hit him, as I don't think that is the right thing.

We try and take him for walk every day but its too muddy and wet where we go walking.

I have heard that if you can get the object in question off them, to actually smack the object and chastise it, just wondering if any one else has heard of this and does it work for you?

my rotti did this til he turned 2, he used to rip them off and leave them at the door never chewed them. we tryed everything tying balloons full of water to the line everything and one day he just stoped. Can you fence it off?

remove temptation or set him up. Some sacrificial old towels smothered in Crib Stop or super bitter sprays (and I mean liberally applied) then let him learn on its own that pulling flapping washing is baaaaaaad!

Apart from that provide him with plenty of rotated toys etc. A lab is surely going to fing flaping washing super fun as the movement and sound attracts them!

Thanks dogluva, and Nekhbet, I will give both suggestions a try they sound a good Idea, will try and fence him off as well, not much yard left to fence off now, :rofl: Cant wait for him to grow out of this stage.

lablove

Read another post in puppy problems about dog digging that was entered today. Same things apply with the pot plants and clothes off the line. Im assuming your pup is in the 6-9 months.....

Normal teenager behaviour.... which is likely to settle as he matures..... provided it doesnt become a fun habit that is.

Don't have dog off lead when clothes on the line, or best to temporarily fence clothes line or put up a tempory clothes line in another location. Easy to do over the winter, think of inside the garage or carport. Move pot plants to the front yard until dog grows up. Avoiding the issue is the easiest and cheapest way. Using balloons of water can be just the best fun for dogs like labs.

I wouldnt try smacking or growling at the washing were I you , my hubby had to repair our water pump for the house one dark wet cold night and swore and got cranky in the process , we now have had 3 chewed pump controls as the dogs think the pump deserves to be punished (they never bothered with it before ) ( keisha also gets in the way whenever we go near it ) LOL.

easiest is to not have dog and washing in the yard at the same time and remove the pot plants to an area she can not get to them

don't let him out when there is washing, put the pot plants out of his reach.

If you have been naughty and left these temptations around for him- say "no" or whatever you use to indicate you are unhappy and remove him from the situation or redirect him to one of his toys.

And honestly, if you have a lab you will need to walk it daily- no matter the weather or the muddiness or they will become quite destructive. You would also do well to do some training at least once a day, the more the better! Teaching tricks is fun and a greta way to keep a lab happy and busy!

Thanks Alpha bet, Schmoo's boss,thats interesting about not smacking the thing that yu don't want them to have.

aussielover, we have put pot plant's out of reach now, and interesting watching him trying to find something else to destroy. :)

Magstar,and natamalie, all very helpful, thank you,I will definately be getting a clothes horse, have been meaning to get one for ages.

He has been learning quite a few tricks,one is where we will put a biscuit dog bone on his paw while he is lying down, and he will not touch it unless he is given the ok, the same with his main meals he wont touch his food until given the command,he has quite a few chew toys but will only play with the toys that he can wreck :D.

I guess we should take him walking in the wet on the paths, probably just lack of interest on our part when it's wet.

lablove

One tactic is to give him things that it are ok to destroy, rather than leaving him to find his own. (Generally, you will not like his choices) Hide some treats in crumpled newspaper in a box, and tape the box shut. Peanut butter jars, ice cream cartons, egg cartons, any safe container that you were going to trash can be turned into a cheap 'dog destractor'.

The more exercise and mental work that you can give him, the less destructive he will be. And remember, with most dogs, demolition is a growth phase, not a lifestyle choice.

Hi there :mad

I have used that method, but not in that way.

My old Dane used to like to sit his bone on our bed. So I yelled at the bone very vigorously while he watched (you should have seen the shocked look on his face :rofl: ) I only had to yell at it twice and he never put it there again.

My Dane also liked to steal clothes off the washing line. So intead I tied a tug to it and encouraged him to play with the tug and after that he didn't pull down anymore clothes :laugh: he just pulled on the tug instead :laugh:

good luck! I hope you find a good solution.

Also if long walks in the mud are out of the question maybe you could try to mentally fatigue him with clicker training (especially free shaping) or teach him 'hide and seek'.

Agree with the others. Take everything that you DONT want him to destroy and give him something alternate to do.

You could try an Aussie Dog home alone toy http://aussiedog.com.au/index.php?main_pag...x&cPath=1_7

Or even make your own by buying a couple of metres of thick elastic cord from the hardware store, run one end through a treat ball or Kong type toy, knot underneath to secure it, attach a tug or old rag underneath that to pull on and tie the other end to a clotheline or tree. Will keep him busy for hours :)

You need to excercise him regardless of the weather too. If it's wet and muddy buy a raincoat. He wont mind :thumbsup:

Edited by SecretKei

Some more great Ideas thanks Aussienot, raineth, Secretkei, I like the Idea of the hanging toy's they look great, and will have a go at making one.

lablove

Although path walking isn't as interesting for humans, (I much prefer exploring parks and fields!) I think it's still really interesting for doggies. If nothing else, they get to get out of the house for a while, and there are always heaps of interesting smells to check out as so many dogs get walked along surburban streets. Zander stops at nearly every tree on our walks! :confused: