Cocker Spaniel Vs Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

allie181

I've always had rotties. I absolutely adore that breed but now live in a unit with a small backyard so am looking for a smaller dog this time. I think I've narrowed it down to a Cocker and a Cavalier.

The pup will live inside. It will have lots of toys during the day to play with when I am at work (from approx 8am-5pm). It will get a big walk every evening and lots of attention in the evenings and weekends. I'd prefer a pup that doesn't require regular clipping of its coat. From what I've read both breeds seem fairly similar, but is one better suited to my needs than the other?

(I know it is better to have 2 pups to keep each other company but I can't have 2 pups unfortunately).

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Allie

Edited by allie181

I have no idea, personally I prefer cavs over cockers. From the ones Ive worked with they have had calmer more even temprements.

Have you looks at american cockers? I would have an american cocker in an instant if I could, but seeings the only dogs walking thru this door from now on will be show potential and i cant see me dealing with the grooming of an american cocker in full coat, it wont be happening!!!! Beautiful dogs!

Edited by sammy_ballerina

I would go with the Cav as it's a Toy breed, while I have nothing against Cockers they are a gun dog.

I believe that the Cavaliers by the sheer virtue of its nature would be better suited to unit living.

We have a CKCS X who is an indoor (mostly) dog. We recently looked into to adopting a 12 month old CS and found that they are very different! The CS would not have been suited to living indoors and required a lot more exercise than our cav!

I would go with a CKCS! If your in Qld I know a great breeder! :rofl:

The CS would not have been suited to living indoors

I know plenty of cockers that live as house dogs. Depends on the personality and energy level of the individual as to how much exercise you need to give it per day

I have a cav and she is great! We have a small house and she is confined to one end of it, with a tiny court yard. She stays in the laundry when I go to work. We don't have any major issues (aside from the normal puppy training stuff).

I do my best to walk her every day. She is smart so I am constantly trying to give her new tricks to learn. But her favourite thing to do is curl up on the couch with her Mum!

I have always been under the impression that cocker spaniels are more active than cavs, but I could be wrong.

Oh, and doesn't bark a lot either, which is good if you are going to have neighbours in close proximity.

Good luck deciding! I am sure either breed would make a great pet!

I have a Cocker who is a very low energy dog. Has been one since the day we got him.

Dream on a lead and is truly a pleasure. He is our first "small" dog as we have always had retrievers and Labs. My daughter wanted a Cavvy, but when we looked into them we liked the Cocker for us.

I have found if we brush him regulary his coat stays in better shape. We have not clipped him as we haven't found the need to. He is great to bath and blow dry and is really a sook...but a really good watch dog :laugh: he is more on the ball than the Retriever we have.

I am so smitten with the breed I would really love another :rofl: The OH won't co operate tho :laugh:

I think whichever breed you decide to go for try to go for one that is not high energy. :laugh: Goodluck !

I've always had rotties. I absolutely adore that breed but now live in a unit with a small backyard so am looking for a smaller dog this time. I think I've narrowed it down to a Cocker and a KC Cavalier.

The pup will live inside. It will have lots of toys during the day to play with when I am at work (from approx 8am-5pm). It will get a big walk every evening and lots of attention in the evenings and weekends. I'd prefer a pup that doesn't require regular clipping of its coat. From what I've read both breeds seem fairly similar, but is one better suited to my needs than the other?

Why not stick with Rotties if you know the breed and love them? Having a small backyard does not necessarily mean you should have a small dog. If the dog is exercised adequately you should be fine with a rottie.

Don't forget also, look at what the dog was bred for, rather than what the dog looks like.

Edited by xavier

Have you looks at american cockers? I would have an american cocker in an instant if I could, but seeings the only dogs walking thru this door from now on will be show potential and i cant see me dealing with the grooming of an american cocker in full coat, it wont be happening!!!! Beautiful dogs!

Bad idea if the OP doesn't want to be clipping.

:rofl: Oops, missed that. I still think they are brilliant thou :laugh:

If you dont want to clip I would definately be going the cav, but note that some cavs have thicker fur than others and some people insist on clipping cavs even when they dont need it, plus a cav would need his or her feet trimmed to keep them tidy!

:laugh: Oops, missed that. I still think they are brilliant thou :laugh:

Given the breeds you've got now, I personally think you'd find an American Cocker INCREDIBLY frustrating to live with! They aren't always the brightest crayon in the pencil box! :laugh:

Editing to add: And since I've had them since 1986 (and bred Australia's first undocked All Breeds Best In Show winner).....I think I'm reasonably well-qualified enough to comment! In recent times, I've found them more and more frustrating. :rofl:

Edited by ellz

Just popping in my 2 cents!

I would say out of the 2 - a cavie, they dont need clipping unless u would prefer to - some stay in a nice full coat with a brush everyday and look great others people choose to clip its up to u!

Cockers would need brushing everyday also and regular clipping.

As mentioned though u could have a larger breed if u wanted if you are willing to put in the work exercise wise :rofl:

Both dogs require regular brushing but the cockers need regular clipping.

Cavs shed hair like no tomorrow cockers not as much.

People also need to remember Cavs are sporting spaniels & as such still have that gundog nature in them

People also need to remember Cavs are sporting spaniels & as such still have that gundog nature in them

Thanks for that :cry:

There was me believing what I had been told, that these sporting lines had been bred out.

Thanks for that :cry:

There was me believing what I had been told, that these sporting lines had been bred out.

I'd better tell my girls - I took a bird off Ingrid only last weekend :cry:

Cavaliers are bred as a companion breed and really do best with company.

Oh and edited to add that it is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - not King Charles Cavalier

Edited by Gretel

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions and experience. I think I will go with the majority and try and find a low energy Cav. Oooh, I can't wait.

Edited by allie181

Dont know much about cavs ,but cockers r also very people orientated ,& imo are best not left alone ,they dont care what u doing as long asthey can be doing it with u ,

they r just as happy being a lounge lizard as running through the medows !!

thier coats do need regular brushing to keep free of knots ,they do not have to be clipped ,but if u choose to do so,then only every 3 mnths approx ,

the feet do need to be trimmed ,as does the air way around the ears ,

they r excellent watch dogs, but do not yap !(only to let u know someone is visiting ).they r extremly inteligent & also the biggest con artist ever ,

they need to be taught who is the boss from day 1

Thanks for that :love:

I'd better tell my girls - I took a bird off Ingrid only last weekend :cry:

Cavaliers are bred as a companion breed and really do best with company.

Oh and edited to add that it is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - not King Charles Cavalier

:cry: :cry: :):laugh::party::laugh: Took till the end of page one for the correction. :love::)

we have had both

a terrible cav...from a backyard breeeder..yep years ago when we didnt know

he was aloof and never took to our family

he shed a lot..lots of pearl-white hair everywhere

he wasnt affectionate but i know lots of cavs who are the typical beautiful cavtemperament

our cocker girl was close to perfect

devoted

easily trained

affectionate but not in your face

she was a tricoulour..nothing spectacular coatwise..she never did get past the puppy coat but that was a blessing

perfect temperament and always tolerant of all newcomers

but i have seen some horror cockers..two with that cocker rage but i dont know how common that is nowadays

ears can be a problem but easily fixed if caught early

get mucky with food so a snood is good for both breeds

i dont know

cavs are smaller so easier again but then a cocker can curl up to a crispycreme donut size anyway

cav is probably easier to groom

i love them both

sweet dogs ...cant really go wrong if you go with a good breeder and be careful choosing with cavs...

And both are food obsessed :laugh:

I have the cocker and mum has the CKCS

Mums CKCS and my cocker are both always running around "hunting" for something in the garden

and both prefer to be with people or inside

as much as I love my cocker my next choice will be Gretel's little black and tan CKCS :rofl: ( so cute )