Dry Food Questions Please Help

Hello all

I was wondering if you kind people can offer a little advice\help please

I am trying to do right by my little guy (Lab\Poodle cross) and feed him the best that we can, the diet we have him on is pretty much Raw and Dry.The dry food we are using is the Atremis Large Puppy but we have heard that this may be too high in protine being 27% and our dog being we regarded as a large breed should not be on a high protine diet???

One other thing we are trying to address is the possibilites of an allergy, our little guy scratches and nips at his feet with no signs of fleas or anything it has been suggested it might be an allergy of some sort, so we are looking for a grainfree dry food that will suite him.

Any suggestions ?

I have looked at Canidea but damn the grainfree mix is like 40% protine

No suggestions on the food sorry as I feed mainly raw sorry.

Could the ichy paws/underbelly be a grass allergy before you do an elimination diet? My girl had allergies to grass etc and mosquito bites which resulted in hives all over her body. You can have an allergy test done at the vets and an allergy shot is available but it is best to let a young pup to build up immunity and hopefully outgrow it. Giving allergy shots to young pups(non severe cases) may result in you having to give the allergy shot for the rest of its life. Thankfully my girl has outgrown it now but still has the odd lot of hives if the mosquitos have gone crazy on her.

Could the ichy paws/underbelly be a grass allergy before you do an elimination diet? My girl had allergies to grass etc and mosquito bites which resulted in hives all over her body. You can have an allergy test done at the vets and an allergy shot is available but it is best to let a young pup to build up immunity and hopefully outgrow it. Giving allergy shots to young pups(non severe cases) may result in you having to give the allergy shot for the rest of its life. Thankfully my girl has outgrown it now but still has the odd lot of hives if the mosquitos have gone crazy on her.

Hi

He mainly scratches around his mouth area and down his side, belly seems all ok and as mentioned nips at this feet. He has done this since we got him before going out into the yard and so on.

Hi

He mainly scratches around his mouth area and down his side, belly seems all ok and as mentioned nips at this feet. He has done this since we got him before going out into the yard and so on.

Maybe try an elimination diet, that is a meat he has never had before with sweet potato or pumpkin for 6 weeks and then see if there isnt a change.

are you sure he doesnt just need a wash/trim or it's a behavioural habit attached to happyness, playfullness or stress? Also having that mixed coat you need to trim the fur between his toes otherwise all manner of stuff can get in there and cause problems OR it stays wet and gets a bit itchy.

Hello all

I am trying to do right by my little guy (Lab\Poodle cross) and feed him the best that we can, the diet we have him on is pretty much Raw and Dry.The dry food we are using is the Atremis Large Puppy but we have heard that this may be too high in protine being 27% and our dog being we regarded as a large breed should not be on a high protine diet???

One other thing we are trying to address is the possibilites of an allergy, our little guy scratches and nips at his feet with no signs of fleas or anything it has been suggested it might be an allergy of some sort, so we are looking for a grainfree dry food that will suite him.

Any suggestions ?

Hi

I feed Artemis large breed puppy to Rottweilers and I know alot of other breeders have also with no problems, I don't think 27% protein is a problem. We start to change them over to Artemis Adult though at about 8months (Mixing both) then by about 10months all mine eat Adult fresh mix 23% Protein or Osopure Medium/Large 25%Protein .

They don't get a huge amount of dry as I also feed fresh.

I had a lot of success with my dog with allegies on ProPlan sensitive Skin and Stomach (Salmon)26% Protein but they are changing it to be made in Australia soon so will have to wait and see if the good results are the same.

Cheers Lee

Hi

Maybe try an elimination diet, that is a meat he has never had before with sweet potato or pumpkin for 6 weeks and then see if there isnt a change.

Hi

Funny thing is i was only just reading up on something very simular, it may come down to this

Thanks for the responce

are you sure he doesnt just need a wash/trim or it's a behavioural habit attached to happyness, playfullness or stress? Also having that mixed coat you need to trim the fur between his toes otherwise all manner of stuff can get in there and cause problems OR it stays wet and gets a bit itchy.

Hi

Yeah he had a trim and wash about 2 weeks ago, its not so much inbetween this toes he chews at but more ankle/feet

You could be right about habit

Hello all

Any suggestions ?

Hi

I feed Artemis large breed puppy to Rottweilers and I know alot of other breeders have also with no problems, I don't think 27% protein is a problem. We start to change them over to Artemis Adult though at about 8months (Mixing both) then by about 10months all mine eat Adult fresh mix 23% Protein or Osopure Medium/Large 25%Protein .

They don't get a huge amount of dry as I also feed fresh.

I had a lot of success with my dog with allegies on ProPlan sensitive Skin and Stomach (Salmon)26% Protein but they are changing it to be made in Australia soon so will have to wait and see if the good results are the same.

Cheers Lee

Hi

Cool, yeah you hear sooo many different opions it makes it bloody hard to make a choice