Fly Disk With Rhodesian Ridgeback

Hi

I have a 14 month old male Rhodesain Ridgeback named Rocky. We have taken care not to over exercise or over exert him during his growth period. He gets walked twice daily for half hour each time, and gets off lead time at our local park and beaches every weekend. We have not played any ball or fetch games with Rocky since out vet and dog trainer advised the quick sprints and stops with quick turns would not be ideal for a large breed dog. Rocky is very keen on a good run but we want to stimulate him further and he has a high drive for chasing. I wanted to get an opinion on whether introducing him to frisbee or flying disk at this age would be detrimental. Should I wait until he is at least 2 years when his growth stage is complete, or shoudl I stay away from fly disk altogether?

Regards

Marc

Hi Marc

Im pretty certain that regular exercise for dogs over 12months of age is fine!

Lots of jumping and turning probably not so good for a large dog though!!

:rofl: You are one of the lucky ones if you have a ridgy that wants to chase something AND bring it back to you!!!!

Most of them will do it once or twice then look at you like youre mad :laugh: - My current girl loves palying chase with her footy, but wont necessarily return it, but our first girl didnt even have the chase-the-ball gene!!

Rat

Edited by Lab_Rat

Hi Marc

Im pretty certain that regular exercise for dogs over 12months of age is fine!

:rofl: You are one of the lucky ones if you have a ridgy that wants to chase something AND bring it back to you!!!!

Most of them will do it once or twice then look at you like youre mad :laugh: - My current girl loves palying chase with her footy, but wont necessarily return it, but our first girl didnt even have the chase-the-ball gene!!

Rat

Oh yeah, I know that look well :laugh: It's the "You threw it, YOU go get it!" look :cheers:

But chasey.. now thats a whole other game :laugh: