Crate Hire?

khakilulu

Hello guys,

We are taking our dogs with us as we are moving overseas permenatly.

However, Happy (our golden retriver) has not been crate trained, we are worried that he might get upset about being put into a crate and handled by strangers during the transport process.

We'd love to crate train him before we take off so he will feel more comfortable staying in a crate for a long period of time.

Does anyone know any companies that does crate rental in Adelaide, so we could hire a crate for Happy for a few days before departure?

Thanks in advance.

It will probably take more than a few days to crate train him, more like a few weeks IMHO. Any way you can purchase an airline suitable crate? That way you can use it to crate train him, and he can get used to being crated before he flies, even sleeping in there at night, and you won't have to hire one and you'll have it at the other end if you ever need it for injuries and what not.

I would buy one, they really are not that expensive about $200 but you would need to check the one that is airline approved. Also by owning one you can be sure that the dog is not picking up any germs from previous dogs. and gradually crate training will mean your boy will be in a familar crate for the big move.

Having a crate trained dog is wonderful especially with all the moving that you are about to do. You know where the dog is and that the dog is safe. My boy was injured badly a couple of years ago and had to spend long times in the crate, because he was so used to a crate he was happy in there and was able to recuperate without added stress of being locked up.

make the crate a happy place, feed him in there and give him treats. Put in a favourite blanket and toy. Make it short periods of time at first gradually increasing them.

We use a crate all the time at home, but when I travel interstate, I hire one from jetpets. This is the Qantas/AAE approved supplier. I think they sell too. Once she is fully grown we will probably buy another one just for that purpose.